Windows 10 laptop is the slowest computer I have ever owned.

Options
13»

Comments

• JRHill
    JRHill Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been on Win10 for ~7 years. Lenovo Yoga 3, SSD & 8(?) megs. It was rather expensive 6 years ago.... I don't have any speed complaints about the machine or OS. Any local .exe stuff is just fine for speed. I thoroughly agree with the advertising complaints. There is no way easy way of measuring the overhead for that and the other junk. What I have done that is a really good speed improvement is a blocker for ads, spam, trackers and other junk. A year is so back I moved over to AdGuard. It installs and works at the system level so it covers everything. I liked it so much I paid the literal few dollars to support a good project. It's pretty clear that speed is really affected when bandwidth is hogged by stuff in the background. Also I also have an extension that blocks autoplay video that is also a bandwidth hog and hugely slows stuff down.

The computer is on 24x7 and uploads our weather data every few minutes. Also the OB Mate3 uploads and then OpticsRE download of almost real time system status - over a satellite connection (Starlink). And there is the DW's chromebook and both our phones and also the TV (rarely stream but it's connected). We don't have a usable cell signal so Starling gives us HD cell/video phone calls without a hiccup with everything else at the same time.

You might look at what's stealing you bandwidth before you complain about the computer.
    Off Grid. Two systems: 1) 2925w panels, OB VFXR3648, FM80, FNDC, Victron BMV-712, Mate3s, 240 xformer, four SimpliPHI 3.8; 2) 780w, Morningstar 30a, Grundfos switch, controller and AC/DC pump, 8 T105. Honda EU7000is w/AGS. Champion 3100. HF 4550, Miller Bobcat.