Help planning off-grid build

shorawitz
shorawitz Registered Users Posts: 3
Here's my sitch!  I'm off-grid.  I have just bought 38kWh of batteries.  I am waffling between XW Pro 6848 and ?? CC (Alt-E is having a great sale) or an all-in-one MPP Solar (LV5048) setup.  I'm not really wed to any panels (I have a reseller for used panels locally that can supply me with something at >$.50 watt - stock rotates weekly so I'm not sure what I'll be using for panels yet.)  I can put the array ~20-30 feet from equipment, so Voc doesn't seem like it will be an issue for cable sizing.  I'm struggling with: do I pay more for 5 years of warranty and a name brand or go the $$ route and look to MPP?  Consider I'm trying to beat the 12/31/19 deadline to get the 30% tax credit and I want expandability which I think both will give me - 15kW - 19kW.  I'm also considering interopperability software-wise so I can monitor/configure remotely as I travel for work and don't want to leave the wife high-n-dry if something happens or needs to be changed.  Think non-Windows.  I <3 Linux!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    used gear does not qualify for the tax credit, from what I understand
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• shorawitz
    edited November 2019 #3
    mike95490 said:
    used gear does not qualify for the tax credit, from what I understand
    Can you quote a statute or reg that says that?  I haven't been able to find anything that says that.  Even if that's the case, that's minimal to what I'm outlaying for total expense.
  • shorawitz
    I should add I'm planning to implement my (somewhat) new Generac XC8000E into the mix if/when I run out of sun (yeah right in So AZ.)  As far as I can tell, both solutions will support a 120V/240V single phase input.  This genie has a 35A 120V output and a 30A 120/240V output.  I was hoping to use the 120/240V 30A output as my backup/helper to the solar/battery.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the older XW and would strongly endorse it over some no-name mpp whatever it is.  If/when your inverter dies, you will be living off your generator till the replacement gets shipped in.   I know the XW works hand in hand with almost any size generator if you program it properly.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW there is someone I know who has a Mpp Solar 5048, it's  been operating for a little over 3 years and he is very happy with it. For the price he paid, ~$600 its worth looking into, when pricing Schneider you'll need to include a charge controller, a SCP or Combox it adds up. Downside of the Mpp Solar is being that its an all in one unit, if anything fails it's everything.

The CSW 2524 I have has been excellent other than both the fans failing within the first year, one at 6 months, due to poor design of the fans, my opinion, the $2 replacements have way exceeded the lifespan original ones many times over, in a hot tropical environment. Support from Schneider is not what it should be, in fact it's poor considering the price, if I have to replace I would not use Schneider again because of this, the warranty and '"support" are included in the price only they fall to deliver on the support, others milage may vary.

There is a lot to be said for using components which communicate with one another especially for larger systems which is applicable to Schneider equipment, one would assume an integrated unit would also fall under this description.

Not sure of the programmability of the Mpp Solar for LiFePo4 use, which would be a consideration if applicable, definitely something I would need.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guide you to look and read. I did many years back and found 'new' required as well. Keeps me from buying and selling to my brother one year and ack to me the next...

So rules on the 30% credit were changed, but I would look into it. They had to be installed and in use for your residence the year the tax credit was taken. I think the rules changed for commercial installs, so they could my plans.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.