What happened here?

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
If this gif posts that is: 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightning flash made camera adjust to high light level, then readjust to ambient?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    You mean lighting flash? I'm not aware of lightning - just a downed wire with plenty of juice according to the folks where I found it. Though - yes - the camera did adjust to the light. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't really see the source of the flash, but it looked like wipers going so guessed lightning.  Downed wire makes sense.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    The base of the light pole has periodic flashes. When the wire is downed there is enough juice to complete the circuit to the light pole. I have no idea how much juice that is but seems a lot. Might be a good thing he wore a rubber safety suit. 
  • softdown
    Seems to be fuel on the street though - makes no sense at all. 
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Life in the city. Stay away as much as possible from cities and you will be fine ;)
     Not too many swat teams in small towns either. ;);)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Recovering from 2 1/2 days of city living and driving right now.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    My guess, power was off to a downed line, lineman moved the cable. Then the line was on.

Guy was lucky to be alive.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    May have dirty drawers though.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #11
    I agree with BB.  Probably the line dropped down on to a live line.  Just yesterday they were trimming all my trees above/between live primary lines.  But no surprises.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• softdown
    Almost seem to be flashes of light in the houses in the background too. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #13
    People who don't understand what high voltage can do, should stay away from it. I worked with 480v a lot for may years and that was OK.
    I would not then or now, go anywhere near true high voltage based on what I've witnessed. He was properly suited up, but stuff happens,
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......... He was properly suited up, but stuff happens,
    I'm not sure how suited up I'd have to be, to be playing with 60kv in the rain
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    As far as I know in our region (PG&E, Northern California) the linemen ground the high voltage lines first (long fiberglass poles with clamps and grounding cables) before they work on the lines directly.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the flames.  Perhaps the electricity turning water into hydrogen and oxygen?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #17
    BB. said:
    As far as I know in our region (PG&E, Northern California) the linemen ground the high voltage lines first (long fiberglass poles with clamps and grounding cables) before they work on the lines directly.

-Bill
    We have had 2 weeks of PGE out in the canyon replacing the 70 KV towers that power Yosemite by helicopter. Guys dangling 200 feet above 60 degree sloped granite. E ticket ride here and they work with 2 helios in close. The power is only out in 1 hour blocks which is pretty short at this level. 

Definitely a young person's job. You have to be 100% and they often have a guy who just waits to feel better I am told. I'm surprised that helicopter can lift the full weight of these guys testicles :):smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94BH9TUiHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IT6_ItjDbE
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    jonr said:
    I'm interested in the flames.  Perhaps the electricity turning water into hydrogen and oxygen?
    Sounds possible in a theoretical way but I've never seen water consumed by fire. Lightning bolts hit water all the time - never seen fire. 

Makes me wonder if the whole thing is some Ingsoc psy-op in case the radical young uns plan to cut power lines if they don't get their way in future elections. 

Perhaps the flame is burning electrical cables...  One could maybe see on a large screen with slow motion?

The whole thing does not make sense to me. 
  • BB.
    Plasma... From the aluminium and or copper cables, and anything on the ground (various salts make different colors).

Helicopters around here are used to "Hot wash" power line insulators:

http://www.pgecurrents.com/2014/08/11/pge-uses-helicopters-to-wash-power-lines-and-improve-reliability/

I think a few years ago, there was a fatal crash of a PG&E copter while doing this (could not find an article).

-Bill
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    jonr said:
    That is burning insulation and asphalt.
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    jonr said:
    That is burning insulation and asphalt.
    Yes, I agree. As voltage increases, the world changes beyond what we perceive as normal. I wasn't there, and I have no expertise in the subject, but I will guess that the overhead line that fell, was so called "medium voltage" at 14.4KV . It is unlikely that the worker would have tried to clear a line above that.
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Isn't it one insulation disc for each 15 Kv - as I recall? Just watched a show that breached that subject : discs subject starts ~5:55 - 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjY31x0m3d8