Nikon ups the lens game indeed. 24mm-3000mm optical.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
Finally got the 83X optical zoom Nikon P900. Have to admit that technology is giving us really cool stuff at times. Arrived without the needed memory card. So I go to order a memory card and what do I find?

Now they have a 125X optical zoom with the Nikon P1000! Focal length 24mm - 3000mm!  https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-P1000-Digital-Camera/dp/B07F5HPXK4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=nikon+p1000&qid=1568842546&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I've paid well over $1000 for one lens that offered 500mm! Heavy as fk too! The lens weighing a lot more than this new camera with 16mb images and 2000mm lens. 

Interesting times indeed! 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• softdown
    Read a few reviews. Not surprisingly the image quality apparently degrades past ~1500mm. Plus the new camera is 2.1 pounds heavier. So I feel better now. Light is nice when hiking rugged terrain. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With zoom like that, I assume you have a good tripod and remote shutter trip.  I can't hold a camera with 10x steady enough for a decent shot  :(
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    I probably have 20 tripods. Yes - they are usually needed over about 150 mm - or 3X. Depends on how large you want to make the pic of course. Everything looks sharp at 1" x 1". 20" x 30" takes a tripod when using telephoto lenses. One can also use tree limbs and rocks etc. for a lot of help. 

The remote shutter is on its way. 
  • softdown
    edited September 2019 #5
    Lens works. Top is handheld, I'm usually pretty steady. About 2 miles away. Guessing ~1300mm out of possible 2000. 8000 sq ft preppers idea of a home. Strong and energy efficient were the goals.

Bottom image is same building taken from the same place at wide angle ~ 20mm.

My scenery is why I'm coming for you folks that show off your lake scenery. j/k! Actually I have 14,000' mountains to the west, north and east. 

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019 #6
    For large images, It's also about the quality and size of the pixels, more than how many pixels. I had multiple images published on billboards, and in Sunset and Westways magazines taken with 5.5MP and 10MP cameras. Gallery prints up to 20x30 are still solid with a good 10MP camera.
    I haven't played with the Nikon super zooms, but I suspect that there are some serious compromises. 
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Fair enough - I wonder what you could do from 2 miles away with $600 worth of your old gear and no tripod? I was testing the camera before it was too late to return. 

I groused about the MB race and once bought another 8 MB camera to prevent me from buying the new 10 MB camera. I thought 8 MB was perfect for wedding photography. I wasn't here promoting MB, I was marveling at the zoom range which is pretty impressive.

How did you go from billboard work (pays well) to battery sales? 

Started in wildlife photography and you know how important the ultra zoom is there. Unless you are operating in a "wildlife park" like most of the other "wildlife photographers". 
  • Marc Kurth
    Don't misunderstand, that camera is likely great for many people's needs because it's cheap for what it does. But the price comparison you asked about isn't even in the same ballpark. I simply meant that small sensor cameras have drawbacks. The moon is actually a great subject to test resolution and pixel density. Try it.
    I lived in Morro Bay, CA for almost 10 years and shot scenics to sell in the local art gallery trade. Back then, billboards were worth $1,600. each per year and magazines paid $800 to $1200 per image for the license per run. (I never sold the rights)  Sure it was a fun job, but I couldn't support my family and put five daughters through college earning $45-$50,000 per year. I did it after selling my HVAC contracting company, so that I could spend time raising our kids. 

• softdown
    Well put but somewhat indicative of a universal trait in the field of photography. Almost everybody feels they are the alpha dog with the alpha equipment. it may be worse in photography than in mountaineering. It is horrible in mountaineering. I did wedding photography from 1998 to 2008 and spent about 30 seconds missing it. Other old photographers spent similar amounts of time missing it. One took one photo after putting down his professional gear for the last time. Of course I thought I could have taken a much better image than his one photo. Its the alpha dog thing.

People think its a dream job. Most of the full time pros have well to do parents that help out. While income streams look acceptable, sometimes impressive, there is constant pressure to upgrade very expensive equipment. By doing things like pointing out sensor size. For a mere $13000, one can have a 37.5MP 45 x 30mm CMOS sensor Leica and enjoy superior shots of the moon! No matter what I was using people advised that I could do better. Nikon was the camera when I started with Canon. When I switched to Nikon enthusiasts advised that Canon was the company.

Of course there were the medium format snobs. When I used a 6x7 Mamiya, I was advised that no real pro would be seen using anything but a 6x6 Hassy. 

The P900 weighs a fraction less than 2 pounds - about as much as I want hanging around my neck when hiking rough country. Actually more than I want when "running". If one can actually run over steep, rocky rubble. 

The newer P1000 weighs a shade over 4 pounds. I suspect that many "pros" liked the zoom of the P900 and requested a more professional looking camera. They more than doubled the weight of the newer camera. I'm still interested of course. Why? Its bigger and better. 
  • Marc Kurth
    edited September 2019 #10
    I never thought that I was the best or had the best. I bought what I needed from a business perspective and did not justify big dollars. My approach was save up profit and buy incrementally. I bought used equipment, that was one or two generations old. It was not my intent to tell you that your camera is bad. It's not about equipment for me, it's about images.
    I can still take good images with old cheap equipment, but I'm betting that you are going to get great images with your new camera!

• Marc Kurth
    edited September 2019 #11
    softdown said:
    Fair enough - I wonder what you could do from 2 miles away with $600 worth of your old gear and no tripod?.....................................................................................
    Shot this fast snapshot for you this morning. Handheld 300 mm cheap zoom, but cropped to get image size, because the high quality pixels allow me to do that. 10MP Nikon D200 from 2005. Low end equipment for sure.
    The bridge is 2.2 miles and the far shore to the left is 3.8 miles. The house and dock are closer but still way out there.

• softdown
    I rest my case. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Yes, Sir. It's all about image quality at a low price me!
  • softdown
    It is size, weight, video, and zoom here. Maybe I put a 70 Kb image on the net. Maybe. BTW - mine was an Open Box and cost $300. 

To each their own. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Somehow you feel that I'm attacking you and or your camera?  That is/was not my intent. I thought the we were having a discussion about photography merits. Please go back and read your responses - It seems that I bent your feelings, and that really wasn't my intent. I apologize. As I said clearly before, I am sure that you will get great images!
  • softdown
    Eh? This thread highlights the zoom capabilities of the P900 and notes the new P1000 has a more prodigious lens. You jumped in and proved my point about people and photography. Its all about peaceably passing the time and hopefully gleaning some information and entertainment along the way.

As far as internet theatrics go - on a scale of 1-100 I'd rate the MK sideshow as a solid 1.5. Enough energy to move a feather 1.5".

Yesterday an intrepid poster said that my post was the most ******** ** thing he'd ever seen. He earned a 2.3 for that lil observation.  

This board is an internet anomaly. Very few intentionally stir **** up. Shoot - BB protested when we talked about getting rid of a demonic goat noting that it had a personality. He may not know the trouble I've seen. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a professional photographer in the past, I really am impressed how much they can put 'in your pocket' these days, I do personally think, putting such a narrow view lens on a <1/2" sensor is a bit silly.

As to detail from old gear, I suspect you could find a good quality 1000 mm lens these days for pretty cheap and mount on a 35 mm body for sub $600. This a very good quality 1/4 frame from an 800mm nikor lens about 450 feet away. About the same angle of view as a 2000mm.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:
    I've been a professional photographer in the past, I really am impressed how much they can put 'in your pocket' these days, I do personally think, putting such a narrow view lens on a <1/2" sensor is a bit silly.

As to detail from old gear, I suspect you could find a good quality 1000 mm lens these days for pretty cheap and mount on a 35 mm body for sub $600. This a very good quality 1/4 frame from an 800mm nikor lens about 450 feet away. About the same angle of view as a 2000mm.
    That is an amazing photo, it captures reality, the heads down with details of feet position, thanks for sharing, it's art in its basic form.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    The camera was stolen almost two weeks while it lay in my truck after an exhausting difficult ordeal. Along with several other items. I know who is doing it, this may not end well. Same guy that stole my silver and built a pot growing building that is nicer than his cabin. 
  • Photowhit
    softdown said:
    The camera was stolen almost two weeks while it lay in my truck after an exhausting difficult ordeal. Along with several other items. I know who is doing it, this may not end well. Same guy that stole my silver and built a pot growing building that is nicer than his cabin. 
    Sad, if  you can get your hands on a photo they  have taken, there is a  lot of data in the files that go with the photos. You can also add  info about you to the files in some cameras (including Nikon I think) Been a while since I worried about it, then again my RX100 was stolen or maybe left. It hasn't returned home...lol.

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    mcgivor said:

That is an amazing photo, it captures reality, the heads down with details of feet position, thanks for sharing, it's art in its basic form.
    I don't  know  about art, but journalism at the time, and today I can see all the changes that have happened. This was a SWAT team,  no body armorer, or atleast very minimal. It was very thick multilayered stuff back then, carrying '6 shooters' because  they were considered  more reliable than semi-automatic hand guns.
  • softdown
    Still have a place in my heart for revolvers and their reliability. The eventual dominance of semi-autos was inevitable though. Thing people don't realize is that longer barrels give greater accuracy and speed. Makes a big difference. 

All the public shooters took the fun out of hand guns to an extent. Someone/anybody could turn in a gun owner under the new red flag laws and who knows what happens next?  
  • softdown
    Found the camera underneath the rear seat of the Ford Explorer that was recently bought from my axle gear guy. He always seems to rush me and bad things happen when things are rushed with a lot going on. 

The Explorer is kind of a diamond in the rough - very rough. Somebody took it on rocky terrain and pounded the bottom up. Likely one of his teen-age sons. Who was totally responsible when they were 16-18 years old? 
  • Marc Kurth
    softdown said:
    ..............................Thing people don't realize is that longer barrels give greater accuracy and speed. Makes a big difference.
    Yes, indeed an increased sight radius makes target acquisition more intuitive and that can also mean much faster recovery from muzzle flip.
    It would be a lucky shot for me at 50 yards with my 2" .357 mag, but my 4" semi's are just as accurate as my 4.5" and 6" revolvers out to 75 yards.At 100 yards and beyond, you are in long gun territory. I have zero interest in hunting for sport, but I am a sport target shooter from .22lr to .50BMG.
    The one thing that I know to be true: Most often,it's the Indian, not the arrow.
  • Marc Kurth
    edited October 2019 #25
    Photowhit said:

When I saw this image, I immediately thought "The Animal" could be behind the camera. Some won't understand the reference, but I suspect that you will see the compliment intended.
    Marc 
  • Photowhit

When I saw this image, I immediately thought "The Animal" could be behind the camera. Some won't understand the reference, but I suspect that you will see the compliment intended.
    Marc 
    Thank you!

FWIW-The animal in the story is the guy who, made the quick (and poor...lol) print for UPI.  The 'gg' next to my name is Greg  Gibson, who had just taken over UPI duties when our paper hired the former Raleigh UPI chief,  Jerry Huff (when nobody wanted the job as UPI was about to declare bankruptcy) He went on to win 2 Pulitzers and was a Whitehouse photographer for several years for a couple different concerns. Now does weddings of the stars...lol.

https://greggibson.com/bio
  • softdown
    I hired a bunch of photographers during my tenure. I'd say ~half have good camera skills. The best work was done in the labs, now photoshop. 

If people are gushing about an image on the internet, the odds of it being a "photoshop masterpiece" are quite exceptional. 
  • softdown
    Wondering if this rear drivers side shock could have caused the occasional shimmy.  shock 
  • softdown
    That lady showed up real late and for a short time. It was a company photo shoot. Have wondered if it is the Baywatch lady. Quite a few years ago. Don't mention the company...had enough of him.