Should I get a Prius type vehicle?

Options

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    In California, DMV will collect the sales tax on private car sales--Based on the reported price.

Note--If the seller does collect sales tax, make sure you get some documentation that reflect that. A retailer will give a receipt and that is good enough proof. Not sure what "proof of collection of sales tax" a private seller could give you that a DMV would accept.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. said:
    In California, DMV will collect the sales tax on private car sales--Based on the reported price.

Note--If the seller does collect sales tax, make sure you get some documentation that reflect that. A retailer will give a receipt and that is good enough proof. Not sure what "proof of collection of sales tax" a private seller could give you that a DMV would accept.

-Bill
    They need to explain that. Adds 8% to the price. I live in the boondocks at 3% (state tax), yet about the least I ever get charged is 4% (state and county). It adds up.  
    I would not pay an additional 5% and most people are just tax idiots. Shoot - we all are but some more so than others. Nobody knows all of our 75,000 page tax code. Nobody. Even state tax people have differing opinions on important issues. 

Problem with buying locally is most of the vehicles have a lifetime of bouncing around on dirt roads. I broke a truck axle last year. 

Buying a well used car is always risky as fk. I would gladly pay a good mechanic $100 to spend an hour going over it. I'm kind of new to the electrical diagnostics game. I can get codes but probably don't know the ramifications. 

Buying used cars was a lot simpler when cars were much simpler. Now it is the electronics that can drown the buyer. Auto transmissions costs thousands of dollars. So do electric/hybrid car generators. Engines are even worse. We used to be able to rebuild an engine over the week-end and it was kind of fun in a way. 

I suspect that it is improvements in oil formulations that allow many modern car engines to last so long. People may also pay more attention to mtce when a new car costs $40,000 instead of $3000. Average used car maybe had 70,000 miles years ago. Might be 150,000 miles now. Seen a great many with over 200,000 and a couple over 300,000. Is anyone going to pay good money when a car has seen over 300,000 miles? Doubtful. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    In California, if you have an older car (20+years?}, In our region "the state" (yes, payers) will pay $1,000 for any running licensed car off the road.

So there is a floor for older working vehicles.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Options
    On a lark I bought a 2006 "Salvage Title" Ford F-150. It was totaled due to hail damage though it needed front brakes and three front end suspension parts. There is also an engine tick that does not sound too ominous to me. 

Being a 2006 2WD with a 4.6L engine and a back seat - ideal dog hauler, I think the highway gas mileage will be at about 20mpg. I have a light foot as a rule. 

How long would it take 35mpg to pay off vs 20mpg - that is the question. The answer is likely - almost never - unless the 35mpg car was less that $3000. With the costs of modern transmissions, engines, electrical work, and plates - the math doesn't look to great.

But it is hard to spend $10-$20 a couple times/week for hiking trips. Then again, it takes a long time for $10-$20 to equal $3000 plus maintenance expenses - figuring the econobox costs $5-$10/trip. At least 400 trips. At 1-2 trips/week that is about six years. Tough call, I keep going back and forth. 

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hike to the hiking trip.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    Options
    Hike to the hiking trip.....
    Couldn't resist that could you? Seriously though - Highway 160 cuts through the valley and many cars are traveling at ~75mph. I wouldn't consider crossing that with my dogs. Neither them or the driver would have a chance. I try to avoid it with my Jeep too - everything I did made it a better climber and a worse cruiser. Killed it with the 35" muds and cargo top tent.

Grandpa lived next to a country road that people often took at high speed. He lost every single one of his dogs on that road. I think many dogs can do the "math" on 20mph but not 70mph. Driving  trips are either 3 or 6 or 12 or 16 or 22  or 40-60 miles (all one way distances). I've done the shorter trips so very many times that they are not as interesting as they were. Living in the flats was a good building decision but a poor entertainment decision. At least winter is a month shorter. 

My suspicion is that I'll find an econobox - someday. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fuel economy is a wonderful thing. As a former backpacker, outdoorsman and off road explorer - I would be most concerned with vehicle reliability, as opposed to trying to save a few gallons of gas. As you know, the world can change dramatically and quickly in the high country.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    Options
    Fuel economy is a wonderful thing. As a former backpacker, outdoorsman and off road explorer - I would be most concerned with vehicle reliability, as opposed to trying to save a few gallons of gas. As you know, the world can change dramatically and quickly in the high country.
    Good thinking. Toyota Corolla, Camry, or Celica are pretty much impossible to beat for reliability. Or a Honda with a manual transmission. Four cylinder for gas mileage. 

Yes - getting stranded in poor weather may not be pleasant. Good thing about being a prepper? Usually some blankets and clothes amidst my mess. Intentionally done of course. Have generally been quite strong in the "Be Prepared" department. To the point of getting laughed at. Guys are over confident. They look at preps and scoff, saying "You probably won't need that." Well - I've seen a LOT of exciting adventures. Used to be fun. Now I tend to think "Oh shit, another adventure." Adventure meaning the unexpected happened. 

"As a former backpacker, outdoorsman and off road explorer" Sounds like you got married and do married stuff. Pros and cons to everything? 
  • softdown
    Options
    Seems like most of the advertised Craigslist cars are held by dealers - which I really don't want to deal with. Advertising one price then adding hundreds for "dealer prep"? C'mon. 

Searching "Toyota low" with price parameters might work OK. Don't want anything over 150,000 miles since I'll also be racking up the miles. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    Definitely like to be prepared for natural and man made emergencies - within reason, but more than the average bear.
    Getting married didn't slow us down, we just took the kids along as they got older. They had their own 50cc and 100cc quads. My wife could out ride me on the BIG dunes in Glamis.
    Now I like to spend my time in my backyard that is 33,000 acres that never needs mowing! Between fishing in the lake, partying in slow motion with the Grandkids on our pontoon boat and teaching them how to ring steel at long distances, I stay busy. The lake is 18 miles long with 330 miles of shoreline to explore. It takes 90 seconds for the electric lift to put the boat in the water - so we take the boat out every few days. Even December through February has some warmer, sunny days, so we boat all year.

• softdown
    Options
    You have a 33,000 acre backyard? Eh - how many people did you kill? 

j/k - I guess
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    It was a joke! I live on the shore of a 33,000 acre lake. It clearly isn't mine, I'm a low budget guy. I included a picture of the lake with my boathouse to make the joke work. Looks like I missed.
  • softdown
    Options
    I swallowed that hook, line and sinker since you have some government work. My blood pressure was working over time. Good one!
  • softdown
    Options
    What part of Texas are you in? They could have made 3-4 states with that land. I've lived there a few times - Midland. Texas gets in your blood and makes you proud for some reason. They should secede - I'd move there. They have everything they need to make it alone. 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recall a visit to Dallas in 1987.  Oil was in a down cycle, and the effects were pretty obvious.  Succession has its appeal in an up cycle, not so much in a down.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No state income tax either in the lone star. We are heading for nevada or texas in 6 years or so when rmd time starts.

Marc my brother in law stayed married a long time with kids. Their rule was whoever wants to leave takes the kids :p

Down Cycles are fine and normal as long as you don't need local work. Largest exporter in the world. Pretty amazing what has happened with fracking and a government that is open to oil. I remember hearing by 2020 it would be peak oil at  $500+ per barrel.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is my front yard...and back yard.  No neighbors for 50 KMs.!
  • Estragon
    Options
    Yup.  I remember Alan Greenspan  pontificating on the terrifying prospect of a US NG shortage not so long ago.

IMHO, down cycles are kind of a good thing.  Like the coming of winter, they remind you that the sun doesn't always shine.  I'm sort of sympatico with folks like that.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • icarus
    Options
    Texas may have everything you need...except water....either too much or not enough!  T
  • icarus
    Options
    Just for grins... a different season..
  • Estragon
    Options
    No neighbours for 50km sounds good. 

What I can't understand is why, with 65,000 km or whatever of shoreline on this lake, fishing boats think 12" off my dock is the only place they can catch a fish!  Had one recently get his trolling motor caught in the anchor chain off the floating dock.
    Off-grid.  
  • softdown
    Options
    icarus said:
    Just for grins... a different season..
    Different season? Thinking that is regular season in the frozen north. I love everything about the north except for the darkness of the winter solstice. 
  • softdown
    Options
    All you folks with lakes in your yards. KMA! I have tumbleweeds to the north, south, east, and west. What was I thinking? 
  • icarus
    Options
    Estragon said:

What I can't understand is why, with 65,000 km or whatever of shoreline on this lake, fishing boats think 12" off my dock is the only place they can catch a fish!  Had one recently get his trolling motor caught in the anchor chain off the floating dock.
    They are simply nosy!  We have very few fisherman here (mercifully!) but when we do, they insist on fishing right outside my window.  I have the only occupied house on a 20 km lake!
  • softdown
    Options
    No state income tax either in the lone star. We are heading for nevada or texas in 6 years or so when rmd time starts.

Marc my brother in law stayed married a long time with kids. Their rule was whoever wants to leave takes the kids :p

Down Cycles are fine and normal as long as you don't need local work. Largest exporter in the world. Pretty amazing what has happened with fracking and a government that is open to oil. I remember hearing by 2020 it would be peak oil at  $500+ per barrel.
    Gas costs more in Reno than in Sacramento. Then again, I'm sure you know all about that. Something to consider. While I was being taxes at five times the normal rate I considered Nevada. And a few others - mostly Wyoming and Texas and New Mexico. 
  • Marc Kurth
    edited September 2019 #117
    Options

We moved to Texas from living right on the beach in Morro Bay and I love it here. NO chance of me leaving until it turns blue.
    Coming up on 34 years on marriage number two. We both learned how to make it work after a trial run with someone else. After all of these years, I feel that my wife is the best thing that ever happened to me - and that is five daughters later!

• softdown
    Options
    icarus said:
    Estragon said:

They are simply nosy!  We have very few fisherman here (mercifully!) but when we do, they insist on fishing right outside my window.  I have the only occupied house on a 20 km lake!

You must be pretty far north to be able to enjoy solitude like that. I had solitude when I built - didn't last. Solitude is so peaceful. I don't know why everyone doesn't seek it. Just mix in dogs for fun. Helps if they are goofballs. 

So....how far north are you? 
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    @icarus That is a flat out beautiful place to live!
    People often think of Texas as flat and dry - that would be West Texas. East Texas is heavily forested with many lakes and rivers. Where I live, the average annual rainfall is 44 inches and a long growing season.
  • softdown
    Options
    So I found the ideal car for me. Posted this morning - sold this afternoon. They did everything right. Would have taken me over 3 hours to get there. Sold faster than that. Thats how it works so often. The sure thing priced right sells fast. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Options
    Estragon said:

Now THAT'S a big lake! Where is it?
    Yep, fishermen like to fish docks here on our little lake also. Dock structures do tend to attract certain types of fish, but the fishermen's lures tear holes in the mesh cover on my lake water intake filter - located under my dock. But the White Bass, Large Mouth Bass  and Crappie that hang out there are tasty indeed! (Lots of Blue and Flathead Catfish, but I only like to eat Channel Cats)