Best Set Up for Charging OutBack 200NC Batteries

Options
Daisy
Daisy Registered Users Posts: 2
Hello, I'm a newbie when it comes to solar system setups so any help is greatly appreciated.
We recently had installed 12x365w panels a 5kw MPP solar 48v hybrid inverter with 8x200amp Outback batteries.
Everything seems to be running fine but I was wondering how to check to see if our current charging settings are optimal for our batteries to ensure that we aren't discharging below 50% or overcharging the batteries.
I've searched on-line looking for info on best charging setups but it's all over the board.

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are in essence charging and discharging the battery bank. Set the hybrid inverter/charger to use the properties of the batteries. Here's a pdf of the battery manual for Outback Energycell batteries;

http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/energy_storage/energycell_re/energycell_manual.pdf

If your hybrid inverter doesn't have a function to give you an idea of the state of charge of the battery bank, or you aren't happy with it... You could get a shunt based battery monitor from Trimetric or Victron.

Here's a link to the Trimetric, you will likely need a shunt and wiring as well, (I linked to the RV version, I don't think there is much difference than the home version, but it come with an enclosure for $5 more);

https://www.solar-electric.com/bogart-engineering-tm-2030-rv-battery-monitor.html
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't help but wonder why you chose Outback batteries but not their inverter and charge controller. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Daisy
    Daisy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    We're in Nicaragua, availability is minimal
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Assuming 12V 200Ah batteries 2 strings in parallel, the important thing is how exactly they are wired to maintain current  ballance of the strings durinecharging and dischargeing. The array is sufficient to provide the charging requirements but having a means to measure not only the gross current but also the individual string current is vital to longevity of the batteries.

A DC clamp on ammeter is an extremely useful tool to do just this, it must have DC capabilities most are AC only and won't work on DC, here is an example, there are many others.

https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-BTMETER-BT-570C-APP-Resistance-Temperature/dp/B07CFWL3SY/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2FFBQP7U5IL38&keywords=dc+clamp+on+amp+meter&qid=1567643803&s=gateway&sprefix=DC+clamp+,aps,539&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMjVCTklBRDVITkQyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDM3NTY5MzBJVUtHNENSVjBQMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTM1OTQ0MVg4TzhCUUM5RE9FVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a link to the Victron version, it comes with a shunt and wiring, You may also find a previous version around with out the Bluetooth;

https://www.solar-electric.com/victron-energy-bmv-712-smart-battery-monitor.html

It's important to use a shunt based battery monitor. When properly setup they measure the actual current going into and out of the battery bank. Be sure to put all loads on the other side of the shunt from the batteries. Also be sure to program in the information about your battery bank. The Outback batteries are rated based on a 100 hour discharge. I think with both of these monitors you enter your capacity based on the 20 hour discharge rate. You should be able to find that information in the  manual. And of course when calculating, when in series voltage adds and amps remain the same, and in parallel amps add and voltage remains the same. So if you have 2 strings of 4 - 12 volt, 180 amphour batteries at the 20 hour rate you have 2 - 48 volt strings of 180 amp hours or a battery bank of 360 amphours at 48 volts.

Cheaper voltage based battery monitors are like a broken clock and are wrong most of the time.  While charging the voltage will be artificially high, When discharging it will be artificially low. Only at rest for a while would it be pretty close to correct.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Niki
    Niki Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options
    The Trimetric is useful for sure but % SOC accuracy will depend on where you set the efficiency factor.  I think they suggest 94% as a starting point but you may need to adjust to your conditions after a bit of use.
    Niki