affordable pumps

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
Anyone found a quality submersible for 100-150 ft  wells that is worth buying?  The Grundfos seem to be about 3 times an affordable  price.
How German of them.
3/4 HP is probably enough to trickle fill 50 ga   a day,yes?

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2
    Grundfos is a Danish company by the way, expensive yes but you get what you pay for in terms of quality, they usually have  integrated low water safety switches which cheaper ones do not, generally.

When I compared 1/2 horsepower pumps the Grundfos  was 5 times the price of the Made in China one at a local vendor in Thailand,  I opted for the cheaper one ~$100, figuring the pump should last the one year warranty, that was 4 years ago. The quality of the water will have an effect on life expectancy, my water is extremely clean and free of grit.

Ultimately  you pays your money and takes your chances, based on experience with Grundfos circulation pumps, they are extremely reliable, wether that crosses over to well pumps I couldn't say, but  would expect it does. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 240V 1/2hp pumps 165' at 7gpm, I can fill about 3000 gallons of tanks in a day
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Deveak_Kaizen
    Deveak_Kaizen Registered Users Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited December 2019 #4
    I'm having the same issues. I need to replace a 1 HP pump. I have a 230 ft well with the pump at 200. Water level is about 50 ft down. After that I have it go uphill another 180 ft. The well recharges very slow so I will draw the well down to 190 ft. What is affordable is of questionable chinese quality but even a few companies like to hid the fact that they sell chinese made pumps. 
    I was looking at RPS pumps, they want over 1250 dollars just for the pump and its made in china, likely at the same factory as the other ones. The bury that fact deep into the web page and claim its right beside the john deer china factory. Like it somehow lends quality to them. Lots of America this and that all over the page. I have yet to find a cost effective solution. I thought about a brumby pump or airlift pump but I'm not sure it will work because of the long horizontal distance between the pump and house. Manual well pumps also require heavy duty and expensive components. 400 ft of head pressure is a lot. 
    Edit: Just a tip, if you have a shallow well or even a well under 100 ft you can use a jet pump and modify it to run off a belt. Its actually very easy. slap on a 12/24/48 volt motor and a pwm controller and you have a more solar friendly and above ground pump. Easier to service. 
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Forum Member "Rancher" likes this Water Pumping forum:

https://pumpsandtanks.com/index.php

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ws9876
    ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    Considering I have a 1-2 person household I was realizing I could very well get by with the cistern push pump being a simple
    on demand like the RV pumps. No pressure tank. I could store 5 gallons above the kitchen sink to save some run time.
    I bet a SHurflo would last at least 2-4 years and they are only 60$.It sure would be simple.