Almost shot my goat today. Almost.

softdown
softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
This thing is simply a demon. It lays on my cars and trucks. It eats all cardboard and papers. That included some important papers lying on my dashboard last week. Today it ate the glue on a careful repair job. Was heading for the gun when cooler thinking prevailed. It will taste better if hung for 1-2 weeks in cool, fall air. Thus saving the expense of a hunting license. 

After last week I decided to shoot it when it cools off and has fattened up some more. Meat is better if hung in cool air for a week or so. 

Goats are demons. Shoot, look at their eyes. They even look like demons. 
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Goats are extremely resourceful first the eat what they like, before moving on to what they have to to survive, I've never had any of my goals above eat cardboard. 

But when times are tough like here innorthern Africa all bets are off.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    But they are fun to watch (if it is not your goat eating your car's interior)...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdown
    Mine has 5 acres of vegetation to eat. Been a rainy year. Its purpose in life is to harass me. I'm usually a patient guy. But this goat is going to die. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he climb up and nibble on your array wires ;) They are amazing climbers!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    edited August 2019 #6
    softdown said:
    Mine has 5 acres of vegetation to eat. Been a rainy year. Its purpose in life is to harass me. I'm usually a patient guy. But this goat is going to die. 
    Is it a billy or doe? Goat curry with coconut sauce is delicious, if you do decide it's the end, you could eat your manuals if it ate them too, which may enlighten you, reuse and recycle.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    mcgivor said:
    softdown said:
    Is it a billy or doe? Goat curry with coconut sauce is delicious, if you do decide it's the end, you could eat your manuals if it ate them too, which may enlighten you, reuse and recycle.
    She is a doe - named her Betty Goat. The male was named Billy Goat. Creative is my middle name. Billy kept squeezing into the house and wreaking absolute havoc when I caught him. Goats are demons. 
  • PNW_Steve
    PNW_Steve Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭
    We had one that was just a terror. 

He ate siding off of the house,  did significant damage to a $2000 saddle and three vehicles. 

One day we looked outside and saw him on the roof of my father's brand new pickup. That was the end...... 

He passed from lead poisoning.....  230 grains of it. Dispensed from a 1911....
  • BB.
    Let us not go too far down this road. We have folks that may be vegetarian/etc., and other countries where things that go bang are severely restricted or not available.

Don't want to see the forum end up on various black lists.

Now--A good coconut curry recipe--I am all for that.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day when I was running a tech business, we had an "award" when someone did something particularly dumb and/or destructive (which we all do at times).  It was called "getting a goat".
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    mcgivor said:

Goats are extremely resourceful first the eat what they like, before moving on to what they have to to survive, I've never had any of my goals above eat cardboard. 

But when times are tough like here innorthern Africa all bets are off.

Yea - they are kind of cute in a way. Too much trouble and expense to build enough fence to keep them off my stuff. It doesn't eat tumbleweeds - which is what I bought it to do. The amount of damage it has done is staggering. Modern auto stuff tends to break when a goat launches from it. It especially likes to eat titles!
  • Dave Angelini
    Cats are best off grid followed by dogs. Lose her!

• littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cats are best off grid followed by dogs. Lose her!
    Awe, Dave. I would have guessed you were a dog person. Oh well we still love you. BTW where do you get Off Grid Cats?

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Dave Angelini
    You get offgrid cats when they are young and then you keep them outside to do their work. I love my dog but it does nothing to keep rodents away and actually dogs attract rodents. People with dogs only in rural areas often have a rodent problem or hire people to deal with them.

I have not seen a rat turd around my house in 15 years. Before that there were always signs.

• softdown
    My dogs will all move mountains to get at a rodent. Knock on wood. 
  • littleharbor2
    edited August 2019 #16
     I get it now . Wasn't sure what you were referring to as Off Grid cats. 

Some good friends of mine in Baja have a Jack Russel Terrier that is a rodent killing machine. Not my favorite breed but as far as rodent control, probably the best canine out there.

I knew the rodents at my place were getting pretty comfortable when I start finding dry dog food in the medicine cabinet and inside the air cleaner on the Jeep.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• softdown
     I get it now . Wasn't sure what you were referring to as Off Grid cats. 

Some good friends of mine in Baja have a Jack Russel Terrier that is a rodent killing machine. Not my favorite breed but as far as rodent control, probably the best canine out there.

I knew the rodents at my place were getting pretty comfortable when I start finding dry dog food in the medicine cabinet and inside the air cleaner on the Jeep.
    I wonder how seeding a bunch of snakes would do for rodent control. It is amazing how many people freak out at the sight of a snake - any snake. I've always thought non-venemous snakes are kind of cool. Until they get big. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    I wonder how seeding a bunch of snakes would do for rodent control. It is amazing how many people freak out at the sight of a snake - any snake. I've always thought non-venemous snakes are kind of cool. Until they get big. 
    I've got a shed skin from a nearly 6' snake, that appears to not be a rattler.  And we have plenty of vermin the snakes can't keep up with.  But I admit to killing the rattlers before they catch a human.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• littleharbor2
    Some of my Baja neighbors have built Owl boxes to attract Owls to nest on their property. Pretty cool seeing the "pellets" they regurgitate and kick to the ground. They have literally hundreds, if not thousands of rodent bones scattered on the ground below the boxes. I plan on building one myself once I get down there full time.

• mcgivor
    We have plenty of snakes as well as rodents, the dogs however are expert snake killers here they display their trophy. Actually I wish they would leave the snakes alone, but it what it is, they react to their instinct.
  • Dave Angelini
    An old saying about Dogs/Cats
    Dogs think that people are Gods, Cats don't.
    Cats think that people are the middleman to God.
    Cats are not ungrateful, they just know better.

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #22
    BB. said:
    Let us not go too far down this road. We have folks that may be vegetarian/etc., and other countries where things that go bang are severely restricted or not available.

-Bill
    This is a sad commentary.  I shall leave it at that and be quiet.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    Just to be clear, I am not "penalizing" anyone for posts here. I think the subject (aka, one goat) has been pretty fully discussed.

While my personal views tend to be more towards the bang and eat what you raise. I just don't want to take NAWS' forum down roads that they may not want to follow.

There is a lot of stuff going on in US (and world) politics that is getting fairly scary.

-Bill "not politically correct at all" B.
  • Dave Angelini
    edited August 2019 #24
    Good Job boss!  it is in everyone's interest to keep Wind and Sun smiling. One of my favorite forums went dark because of "a touch too much" 

Would in the weeds topic still be an issue Bill? Probably but thought I would ask.

• softdown
    BB. said:

-Bill
    This is a sad commentary.  I shall leave it at that and be quiet.
    Exactly the sentiment I've been biting my tongue about. I spend a lot of time theorizing about the casuation behind the extinction in rational thought and common sense. One theory that keeps re-appearing:
    XY Theory - favors fun and freedom
    XX Theory - favors safety and security
    Past history: XY > XX
    Present situation: XX > XY

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #26
    BB. said:
    Just to be clear, I am not "penalizing" anyone for posts here. I think the subject (aka, one goat) has been pretty fully discussed.

While my personal views tend to be more towards the bang and eat what you raise. I just don't want to take NAWS' forum down roads that they may not want to follow.

There is a lot of stuff going on in US (and world) politics that is getting fairly scary.

-Bill "not politically correct at all" B.

Dave's post made me realize that I may have come across badly. Bill, I appreciate and respect the tireless effort that you apply here! In no way was I intending to attack you as the gate keeper. I was reacting to a much broader scale of squelching honest, open discussion for fear of offending a strawman. BUT, I do see your point from where you sit. We just sit in different places. At 66 years old, I am still proficient at 500 yards.
    I grew up on a 640 acre ranch not too far from you on the peninsula, above Half Moon Bay. (Old Bear Gulch Rd off of Skyline above La Honda/Sky Londa - in the 50's and early 60's) We had cattle, horses, chickens, ducks, geese, sheep, and a few hogs. Most of them were not pets.A large garden and small orchard needed constant attention.
    I live in Texas now by choice and my views are basic "old school", down to earth and very practical. The simple Golden Rule around here is: "Your rights end right where my rights begin." 

Respectfully,
    Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • BB.
    Hi Marc,

No problem... I just wanted to make sure that you did not think I was trying to a "drop a hammer" here.

I grew up in Pacifica, and worked (for free horse boarding--For the "family horse"--Which quickly became my "sister's horse") on the ranch/pasture land next to the beach, and the hills above Pacifica (was/is owned by Daly City Ice--That must have been an interesting story too from another century).

Besides taking care of the horses, also raid a few head of cattle and calves for beef. Even caught a wild baby pig.

Even was friends with Enie Alves (Alves Dairy) too. Ernie used to have the best ice cream.

Nothing like that (the whole starting small dairy's/farms/ranches) could be done these days... I feel so bad for my (and everyone else's) kids that they never had that exposure.

Sincerely,
    -Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    Got married on the beach at Half Moon bay. It was touch and go as the Hells Angels were there that morning from an All night party.
    We arrived and they left for another party. Had a great small wedding. The big roadhouse in HM bay had some great bands. AC DC showed up there and did a set after they played  San Jose in 78. Remember Bonn Scott, I do!

Still married and thinking of Texas or Nevada after Offgrid becomes too hard after 70. Still Love it here in Mariposa and so.....

Also thinking of not having to fund the madness here with our RMD's. 

I really was not sure what Marc was inferring and so my response.
     He is a native and with 500 yards and accuracy I am always on his side ;)

• BB.
    edited June 2021 #29
    I think Marc was just making a comment "about the world"--But it could have been a comment that could have been read as directed (sort of) towards me (implicit censorship). Your comment (thanking me Dave), had him seeing the "darker" implications on this forum/by me (aka editor).

In The Weeds is certainly where "off forum topics" are welcome.

I just wanted to avoid giving any animal a personality in the forum, and then discussing possible ultimate/final resolutions in this forum in increasing detail. 

It is a difficult call--But I don't want to lose this forum to the PC (politically correct) culture that is running rampid now... Where it will hit us and others. One can only guess:

https://www.businessinsider.com/youtube-robot-fighting-videos-removed-for-violating-animal-cruelty-policy-2019-8
    • YouTube reportedly removed multiple videos from its platform of robots fighting, claiming they showed "the deliberate infliction of animal suffering."
    • Multiple robot makers have posted to social media to say their YouTube videos were removed for content violations, even after moderators manually reviewed the marked videos.
    • Many of the robot-fighting videos have since been allowed back onto the platform.
    • YouTube's efforts to moderate content have been widely criticized not only by robot builders, but by the LGBTQ communityright-wing politicians, and child safety advocates.
    And companies like Cloudflare (part of our hosting services) has also taken down entire sites:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cloudflare+banning+websites&atb=v122-1__&ia=web
    https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/facebook-admits-it-shadow-bans-posts-pages-it-deems-false

Yes, a point can be made for some of the "bannings" (simply a corporation choosing not to do business with other specific folks).

-Bill "I don't know..." B.
  • MrM1
    MrM1 Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #30
    I think one could add religious organizations to the list of groups who have been "moderated" or banned and criticize YouTube for doing so.  But Me?  I love the goat story here :D

REC TwinPeak 2 285W 3S-3P 2.6kW-STC / 1.9kW-NMOT Array / MN Solar Classic 150 / 2017 Conext SW 4024 Inverter latest firmware / OB PSX-240 Autotransfomer for load balancing / Trojan L16H-AC 435Ah bank 4S connected to Inverter with 7' of 4/0 cable / 24 volt system / Grid-Assist or Backup Solar Generator System Powering 3200Whs Daily / System went Online Oct 2017 / System, Pics and Discussion
  • softdown
     XX > XY = modern minds live under the jackboot of absolutely ridiculous oppression.