Where to buy 4 ought cables.

Options
solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
I have prices of 3 $  a foot for  4 ought cable without lugs,  and  up to 8$ a foot for 4 ought with lugs.  Anyone have  suggestions for anything in between?  I do not want to make my own lugs this time.
Thanks and cheers.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Have you tried local welding supply and battery distributors and see if they have/make up cable sets?

I guess you are in Georgia, so if anyone has a local to Solrone source--Please let him know.

Your pricing does not sound bad:

https://www.solar-electric.com/residential/wiring-cables/battery-inverter-cables.html

You should check the insulation type--Some types are better than others. Our host generally uses MTW (machine tool wire) for this cabling.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solorone
    edited August 2019 #3
    Options
    Most of what I have used was THNN I think, acquired 1000 + feet back in 84. I can buy welding cable locally for 5$, I just wanted the lugs crimped. I have been crimping my own for years with no issue. This is for an old customer's rebuild.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I measured, cut and took my cables to a local Interstate Battery store. They provided the lugs and crimped them on for a very reasonable price.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • solorone
    Options
    Thanks for that tip.  I will call around and check. :)