16 lithium cell 200AH per

DarkstormNH
DarkstormNH Registered Users Posts: 48 ✭✭
Hello All I just took the plunge and purchase 16 of these prismatic cell  200AH Each.
I would to get some feedback on configuring them for 24 volts.
I can make 2 8s bank and parallel them, or sell my 24 volts inverter (magnum) and purchase a 48 volts
so That I can create a 16s bank.
lastly has anyone used a similar approach using the pt100 to charge a lithium bank?

Please advise

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #2
    When using lithium cells to create a 24V nominal battery the best method would be to first parrallel the cells to create cell blocks, then series the blocks. With 16 cells the topography would be 2P 8S, the advantage of this is that only one battery management system (BMS ) would be required,  unlike two separate 8S batteries which would require two BMS's. 

Obviously a 16S battery would  require a single BMS and has other advantages such as smaller conductor and over current protection,

This link explains in detail how to build a Lifepo4 battery with prysmatic cells.
     http://nordkyndesign.com/assembling-a-lithium-iron-phosphate-marine-house-bank/

What is a pt100 and which cells do you actually have?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • DarkstormNH
    Thank you for the feedback I will follow the cell block approach, the PT100 is the charge controller from magnum
    the cell that I have are CALB prismatic 200AH
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the time to study as much as possible before getting started, the first step is to ballance all the cells before assembly of the final topography, you will need a single cell lifepo4 charger, if possible get one with at least 10A as 16 cells in parallel ballancing will take an extremely long time, assuming 50% charged on delivery that's 1600Ah, at 10A the charging time will be 160 hours or more. Take this one step at a time to avoid confusion stating with ballancing.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    @DarkstormNH
    Good cell choice. Did you get enough buss bars to parallel 16 cells? If not informed when purchasing, this particular CALB has two different buss bars, standard: side by side, and non-standard: end to end. Paralleling 16 cells for top balance will require 30 standard bars. Graphic below.  Did you get these from Electric Car parts Company?

Rick 

4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • DarkstormNH
    Raj174 said:
    @DarkstormNH
    Good cell choice. Did you get enough buss bars to parallel 16 cells? If not informed when purchasing, this particular CALB has two different buss bars, standard: side by side, and non-standard: end to end. Paralleling 16 cells for top balance will require 30 standard bars. Graphic below.  Did you get these from Electric Car parts Company?

Rick 

I received 18 bus bar I'm going to buy some flat copper and make my own, I bought the cell from china