Just had a sunny boy 6000 stolen, made police report, going to call scrap yards and maybe pawn shops

rollandelliott
rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
Just had a sunny boy 6000 transformer older unit stolen, charlotte, nc 28273, made police report, going to call scrap yards and maybe pawn shops tomorrow. I know it is long gone probably, but any other tips? 
not sure it is worth filing a homeowners insurance claim since I have a $1000 deductable and can get replacement for less than that. 

I was unloading building supplies from my trailer, went to get a dolly to move the 150 lb sunnyboy 6000, got distracted with some side job, came back to the front of house and someone really strong took my 150 lb inverter serial # 2000991703. Wife says they probably thought it was free trash.  
probably some metal scrapper theif, really sucks!

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it goes online, if it reports it's SN ?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rollandelliott
    rollandelliott Solar Expert Posts: 834 ✭✭
    Maybe, but getting them online is not easy since the old hardware is not sold. Once basically has to hardware an ethernet cable to it. 

If the thief is smart he will get the copper out of it and make a few hundred at a scrap yard. I always wanted to see the giant transformer coil in one of these units. I assume that is where all the weight is at. 
  • dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    Call your insurance agent (do not call insurance company yet).
    Ask the agent if the deductible is a yearly figure or not.
    If you have another claim within a year, I think the losses add towards the deductible.

The agent may also know of your rates will change.
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    Check craigslist, let and all those localish resale sites.

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever listen to Clark Howard on talk radio. You can look him up on the internet. If you turn in nuisance claims you are most likely going to either get cancelled or your rates will go up. Also your house and area you live in can get a high risk and you might pay thru the roof if you can even get insurance, No I would not turn in an insurance claim. 
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    My insurance got cancelled after I reported a robbery to my agent and decided to not turn into agency for various reasons. I think they always win in the long term. 

Scrappers steal a lot of stuff for sure. Copper coils for giant chillers? Stolen. Aluminum transmission housing? Stolen? Hurts to think of the thousands I have lost so deadbeats can make hundreds. 

I was replacing my aluminum framed windows. A scrapper ran off with an old window while my back was turned. Remember it isn't stealing if they are doing conservation. Right? 

I think millions of air conditioners have been stolen for the copper. I had to replace a stolen unit in 2010. Part of the reason that I bought aluminum last time. Cheaper price as well. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries