Sanmedrxgmppharma Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Type your comment6l
    shunt victron bluetoothbluet
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    6llll
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    If you have GEL batteries... Check the battery manual, but typically GEL batteries should charged at 14.20 volts maximum (typical for GEL type).

You may need to talk with your Midnite supplier (or call/talk with Midnite directly) about debugging your controller (7x36 Vmp panels in series) for your 200 vmax controller.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    Type your comment6lllll
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    resting for 3 days from the start installing until now 
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    i have already reset to factory default
    and it says resting 
  • BB.
    You may have missed my post a few back... Your solar array has too many solar panels in series...

7x is high enough to cause the controller to go into "hypervolt" (shut down when Varray > 200 volts) and damage when Vpanel >~248 volts.

Your array should have no more than 4 (or possibly 5) panels in series... There is the Midnite sizing tool to confirm the correct size array.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php

It is possible that your solar array is not properly connected (you have a "broken" connection or other miss-wiring somewhere)...

In any case, you need to rewire the array for 4 panels in series maximum (perhaps 5, depending on your local cold weather conditions).

Do not "fix" your 7x series string--If you are lucky and there is an open connection, you probably saved your charge controller from expensive damage.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    okay thank you very much bill ill get back to you when i change to 4 panels as of now im in at work maybe tomorrow 

midnite charger is not damage as of now 
  • BB.
    Check the polarity of your solar panels... Mixing + and - does occasionally happen.

Another suggestion use Red and Black electrical tape to mark the polarity on your cables.

-Bill
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    copy that bill thank you so much
    i have 3 panels that is not used is it okay that only 3 panels?

maybe later i will check the 7 panels 
  • BB.
    3x series panels will work for testing... Basically, you have to work with the limits of the controller... For example
    • 3s x 1p = 3 panels
    • 4x x 1p = 4 panels
    • 5x x 1p = 5 panels (if OK for your low temperature)
    • 3s x 2p = 6 panels
    • 4x x 2p = 8 panels
    • 5x x 2p = 10 panels
    • 3s x 3p = 9 panels
    • 4s x 3p = 12 panels
    • 5s x 3p = 15 panels
    • 4s x 5p = 20 panels (roughly the maximum "useful" size of array)
    • etc.
    You may have other limitations... Check the manual for your GEL batteries.. .In the USA, we typically see a maximum of 5% rate of charge. Other brands may allow higher charging current.

So, for example, if you have 4x 12 volt @ 200 AH GEL batteries in series with a maximum of 5% rate of charge:
    • 200 AH * 56.8 charging voltage * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 738 Watt "useful" maximum array
    If you had flooded cell or AGM batteries, you could support a higher charging current. Say Flooded cell @ 400 AH @ 48 volt battery bank and 10% rate of charge:
    • 400 AH * 59.0 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel_controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 3,065 Watt array "nominal" for FLA battery bank
    We are kind of doing things "backwards" here... You have an existing system that needs to be debugged.

But once you get it running, then I would suggest that we review your energy needs (peak Watts, Watt*Hours per day, location of system for hours of sun, etc.) and make sure you have a "balanced" system design.

You have chosen some very nice and capable components (like the Midnite controller and a good sized solar array)--But have a relatively small battery bank (and possibly limited by GEL battery capabilities). It seems that should be reviewed.

-Bill
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    the size of the charge vltage is 52.8
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    i will change from 7 panels to 4 panels and reset the midnite charger controller to factory default . Its that okay procedure? I will observe if the resting will gone 

• BB.
    52.8 volts is very low for charging GEL or other lead acid chemistry... 52.8 is just about the 'resting voltage' of a GEL battery (fully charged to 100%, no loads).

You need to check with your battery supplier what the Absorb and Float charge voltages should be, and what the maximum charging current is.

Typically, for 25C (room temperature) GEL batteries:
    • Absorb Charge = 56.80 volts maximum
    • Float Charge is typically around 54.40 volts
    • Fully charge resting voltage is around 51.2 volts to 52.8 volts (at 25C fully charged, "rested" for ~3 hours or more
    • 50% discharge would be (very roughly) around 49 volts (no load).
    But different battery companies will have different charging and resting voltages... Contact your battery supplier for details about your battery bank's requirements.

-Bill
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    1 battery capacity not include in series of 4 battery 

bill can you help what is my set up
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

These and the construction type (AGM) are most of what you are looking for...

If you will be using the system, cycling often/daily. You will be Charging cyclic manner, so you should charge at 14.5-15 volts per 12 volt battery. With an inexpensive battery I would error toward the lower number, so 14.5 volts for 12 volt system, 29 volts for a 24 volt system and 58 volts for a 48 volt system. Does your charge controller have a temperature sensor?

It's an AGM battery and can handle a pretty high charge rate at 60 amps (Same for a single string at any voltage)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    7 X 43.2 Voc is over 300 volts.  I have a feeling it is broken now.  No need to post all of the menus.  The front status was enough to tell as well as the nameplate rating of the PV modules.
    Needs to come back to MidNite I'm afraid.

• Sanmedrxgmppharma
    yes have a temperature
    but since its still resting from the start 
    i used the battery for 4days and victron says that 89percent on percentage as remaining battery

i install from the start and it was never come to hot because the control charger is resting 

because midnite has arc fault built in

shoul i set to 58volt absord and 60 is equalizing and float is 58volt?
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    ohh no 
    should i set the midnite to 

equalize.     absoard.      float
    60.                60.               58?
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    i adjust from 7 200watts to 4 200 watts

and i test each pv its cloudy and the reading is 39volts per pv 

i used the multimeter 

and this picture Is the result by checking the positive line oF the pv 4 pv in serie the result is 0.012 volts 
    what does it mean?

mment
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    and i just want all to know you guys i am in 4days installing from the start i am a new guy for all of this 

but before i start buying all this in online i have study in youtube for 1month before i engage to buy all this equipment 
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    but i am certified electrician but i dont know how to calculate in battery and transformer because my job is to install wiring in the house not of this kind of off grid but youtube helps and all of guys are very helpul and i would like to thank. all of you guys for helping me 

but i think there is some adjustment this midnite that i dont know due i have no idea by sizing from pv to battery 

but little by little i understand some but slowly by slowly 
  • Sanmedrxgmppharma
    all this set is all brand new 5days old 
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That meter appears to be an AC clamp-on amp meter.  It won't likely work for measuring DC current.  You'll want to use a multimeter with test leads and DC voltage reading setting in the range you need (~200v) to read the voltage across the +ive and -ive pv input terminals in the Classic.

I'd set EQ and absorb to 58v, and float to 54v to start.  You should ensure the battery temperature sensor in properly installed and working, so these voltages are adjusted automatically (down for warm temps, up for cold).

As boB said though, having hooked up 300ish volts to the controller, it's likely going to have to go back to Midnite for surgery.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    The Meter you are using is an AC clamp meter. It will not measure the DC amps of the wire clamped in the picture. A DC clamp meter is needed for this measurement. Also, the meter is set to measure voltage which can not be measured with the clamp. Measure the voltage of the PV wire positive to negative with the test leads and make sure at least the positive wire is disconnected from the charge controller or the fuse block. Be careful not to disconnect the PV wire from the charge controller or fuse block while sun is on the panels. It could result in some serious arcing and burn the wire or the connection terminals.

Rick
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.