Can I throw solar and 220V AC line in same conduit ...........??

Jesan
Jesan Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all....For a house wiring ..can i passng the line ac&dc(solar) in one (same) conduit ...?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me say it this way. You can swim in a rainforest river with small cuts, and maybe no piranha will bite you.

And you can mix low voltage and high voltage AC & DC in the same pipe. But it's not legal and not advisable.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The magnetic interference superimposed on the DC would probably create problems, it is customary to separate conductors supplied from different sources, classes or current type , usually with a metallic barrier, so no it is definitely not good practice nor is it allowable, according to rules and regulations in most/all codes. Keep them seperate. There are rules which allow for combination in a common raceway, usually control wiring for energy optimization within a distribution panel, which is considered a raceway, but these do not apply to a conduit.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

A jurisdiction that I used to live in even said that DC had to be in EMT. I think they may have relaxed that by allowing flex inside walls. They also want high voltage DC warning labels on the raceway.

8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭

For my first solar install many, many years ago (1998? something like that) the building code people initially said that even the AC from the inverter to the panel had to be in EMT. It took about a week to get that sorted out.

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

The idea is that the code folks want the "high voltage" "high energy" AC utilty power separated from network and telephone wiring for safety.

And, if you had 12 volt wiring and 120/240 VAC wiring in the same conduit, you would need to have the same insulation rating on all wiring (600 VAC is standard in US)--Even for the 12 volt wiring.

If the solar array wiring was for a GT inverter (200-600 VDC working voltage) for use to power the house, one could try to make the argument that both could be in the same conduit (similar voltages, both used to "power the house"). Not sure if code/inspector would allow or not.

But having a separate DC power system (backup power, etc.) and AC mains--It would be better to have them separated in conduit/cable runs too.

-Bill

Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, it's generally different trades working on LVDC and AC. The AC guys don't want DC guys mucking about in "their" j-boxes, and vice versa.

Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter