Fried Diode

Ramdriver
Ramdriver Registered Users Posts: 3
Do I have to repair/bypass or can I eliminate the diode in a single panel system? I fried it ☺️ Just trying to charge my battery 

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    What diode? In the solar panel? It a charge controller?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Ramdriver
    There is what I believe is a diode soldered into the + and - terminations on the back of the solar panel. 
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019 #4
    They are diodes, used to bypass shaded cell strings within the module, this allow partial output rather than no output. They are very cheap, I would replace them, the panel will operate with them bypassed as long as there is never any shading.https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/bypass-diodes.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Ramdriver
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!