Fried Diode

RamdriverRamdriver Registered Users Posts: 3
Do I have to repair/bypass or can I eliminate the diode in a single panel system? I fried it ☺️ Just trying to charge my battery 

Comments

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 28,441 admin
    What diode? In the solar panel? It a charge controller?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • RamdriverRamdriver Registered Users Posts: 3
    There is what I believe is a diode soldered into the + and - terminations on the back of the solar panel. 
  • mcgivormcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19 #4
    They are diodes, used to bypass shaded cell strings within the module, this allow partial output rather than no output. They are very cheap, I would replace them, the panel will operate with them bypassed as long as there is never any shading.https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/bypass-diodes.html
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery bank 
    900W  3 × 300W No name brand Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah FLA 24V nominal as a backup system. 
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergencies and welding.
  • RamdriverRamdriver Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for!