Well, if you want lithium...

China now holds half the developed lithium supplies in the world. Sooner or later, more folk will want lithium at less than $10.00 per amp hour. Wonder how it'll shake out?

Comments

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019 #2
    Interesting article. I was also surprised to see that Lithium batteries have the same market share as Lead Acid batteries. You wouldn't know that from reading forums like this. 
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm, have to look at the dates of the data, some of the graphs stop mid 2016 or start of 2017  making it seem that the curve / line will continue on its current  line slope.. 
    Also I  recently read an  on-line article  about the Democratic Republic of Congo and if they could get things together they could seriously disrupt the  Li market, as well as other metals, but too much graft and payoffs to get producing...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Ampster
    The article is from May 2018.
    I think the Congo controls a lot of Cobalt which is also an important ingredient in Lithium batteries. I would not be surprised if China has not already tied up that source. China has a big investment in much of Africa.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ampster said:
    Interesting article. I was also surprised to see that Lithium batteries have the same market share as Lead Acid batteries. You wouldn't know that from reading forums like this. 

Since LFP has been in use off grid  for over a decade elsewhere, I wonder if the debate will still be going on in another ten years here. By that time there will be some new nano depleted uranium technology battery, or whatever, available which wI'll be .pondered whilst still using an ancient technology, lead acid, The King is dead, long live the King. Lead acid is on its way out, just like dinosaurs,  it's called evolution or progress.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • OldMan
    OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Ampster said:
    The article is from May 2018.
    I think the Congo controls a lot of Cobalt which is also an important ingredient in Lithium batteries. I would not be surprised if China has not already tied up that source. China has a big investment in much of Africa.
    I think China also has its own cobalt deposits.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of cobalt deposits around.  It was mostly considered a waste by-product of mining other stuff though, as their wasn't much of a market for it at prices that didn't involve slave labour.  If prices rise in a sustained way, many of these deposits are likely get into production fairly quickly.

The "market share" thing strikes me as apples and oranges.  LA is mainly low value utility type use (eg car starting batteries), vs lithium in high value (eg phone/laptop batteries) applications.  My 9yr old car battery is still doing ok.  Phones and laptops tend to be replaced every 2-3 yrs, and a new battery goes with it.  A new OEM laptop battery ran ~2x the car battery cost last time I checked.  EV batteries look to be ~5yr replacement depending on climate etc at many times the start battery cost.  A better compare might be mwh sold, rather than $ value.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Cobalt is a pretty expensive mineral. Currently selling for $39,000/ton. That is ~50% more than molybdenum which is also a pretty expensive metal. Molybdenum is used in high end mountaineering equipment among other applications like armor that resists large shells. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • OldMan
    OldMan Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Cobalt is a pretty expensive mineral. Currently selling for $39,000/ton. That is ~50% more than molybdenum which is also a pretty expensive metal. Molybdenum is used in high end mountaineering equipment among other applications like armor that resists large shells. 
    You just don't like lithium batteries.
  • Ampster
    edited February 2019 #10
    Estragon said:
    The "market share" thing strikes me as apples and oranges.  LA is mainly low value utility type use (eg car starting batteries), vs lithium in high value (eg phone/laptop batteries) applications.  My 9yr old car battery is still doing ok.  Phones and laptops tend to be replaced every 2-3 yrs, and a new battery goes with it.  A new OEM laptop battery ran ~2x the car battery cost last time I checked.  EV batteries look to be ~5yr replacement depending on climate etc at many times the start battery cost.  A better compare might be mwh sold, rather than $ value.
    I too would be interested in a comparison of mWhrs sold between Lithium and Lead Acid especially over time. The adoption of EVs and the implementation of Lithium battery storage has to be rapidly increasing. Whereas, I would expect Lead acid sales to be somewhat stagnant.  
    Both are energy storage devices just like Apple's and oranges are food sources that could be measured in calories. We don't often compare apples and oranges based on calories because personal taste has so much to to with our choice of one versus the other. In some respects the same is probably true about some users choice of Lithium versus Lead Acid.