is it possible for a generator and inverter to share the load?

inverternewbie
inverternewbie Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2
I have a 2.9KW gen that will not Start the air conditioner unless every other load is off. so my question: is there a way to connect an inverter to the electrical system so that a battery fed inverter can share the load when heavy loads start, and just be in standby when not needed?
Tagged:

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #2
    Check out the Victron Multiplus with PowerAssist.   But don't be surprised if it's cheaper to buy a larger generator.

You probably already have a battery, but if not, the Renogy Lithium-Iron Phosphate 12V batteries appear to be a good match (for 12V).  Lots of cycles, less sensitive to heat, lots of short term amps (charging and discharging).

In some cases, using capacitors (with or without a battery) might be interesting.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It is called Gen Support from the folks who first made it happen. Schneider Electric. Look at XW+ and CSW inverters.
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Schneider  XW series that I have ( xw-6048 ) when programed properly, provides generator support to a small genset for heavy loads and as the load fades away, battery charging resumes.   But you must program the AC2 (gen) input settings properly, or you will be disappointed.
      While changing out my battery bank this last summer, I ran the entire ranchfor 8 days,  off 4 deep cycle 12V marine batteries, a honda eu2000 (with a quality autotransformer) and the inverter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inverternewbie
    inverternewbie Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2

Thank you for you help! I also found the Schneider Electric Conext SW 4048 230 Inverter/Charger which is a little cheaper than the XW. although I have decided to go with the Victron so that I do not need to add a 48v bank to my boat. these suggestions were exactly what I was hoping for, but could not find on my own.

BTW, my gen set is diesel so these options are still cheaper to replacing a great and reliable gen. but thanks again, I really appreciate your guys help. 

• Ampster
    Ampster Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018 #6
    There are also soft start devices that can be added to an AC compressor. They are 240v devices and I don't know what the AC compressor on your boat runs on.
    8 kW Enphase micros AC coupled to a SolArk 12K
  • bigbillsd
    bigbillsd Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Wouldn't you just need a hybrid inverter?  Like one of these: https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/product-inverter/3000w-12vdc-pure-sine-hybrid-inverter-charger-msh-series   They are used on RV's all the time so you can add power from your batteries when the genny cant provide enough power.   -Bill
    4 each Renogy 160w Solar Panels mounted flat on RV roof, Serially connected @ ~80v,  Victron 100/50 MPPT controller.  520AH LA batteries @ 12volt, 2800w PSW Magnum Inverter.   Bogart Trimetric.