sealed, gel and lead acid setting on charge controller

wast
wast Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭
what happens if u use the wrong setting on your charge controller?? for example if I have sealed batteries and have my controller set for gel or flooded... curious to know what this does to batteries 

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sealed batteries need lower charging voltages. Too high, they can vent gasses with irreversible loss of capacity. Conversely, a flooded battery charged at too low voltage can form hardened sulfate over time, also with irreversible loss of capacity.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Pre-canned settings can sometimes be wrong. Measure the actual voltage coming from the charge controller and match it to the manufacturers guidelines - mystery solved.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on what Marc said.   The generalization that the charge controller is doing is dangerous and the "wrong" setting might actually be better for some batteries.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Generally gel and AGM have no way to vent gasses so a lower voltage may be needed. While a higher voltage can help flooded batteries.

Though I do wonder about the rigor of the science behind some recommendations. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Timoat
    Timoat Registered Users Posts: 1
    My battery manufacturer recommended I use "sealed" on the mt50 for my 250 ah Agm because it needed HIGHER voltage. 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    Hence, the suggestion to always set the system up based on the manufacturers spec.....not a generic "type" of battery.

I deal with Concorde and Fullriver;
    Voltages that are great for Fullriver AGM's are not suitable for Concorde AGM's.

Marc
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Hence, the suggestion to always set the system up based on the manufacturers spec.....not a generic "type" of battery.

I deal with Concorde and Fullriver;
    Voltages that are great for Fullriver AGM's are not suitable for Concorde AGM's.

Marc
    Sometimes I do a double take when my Fullriver AGM's are charging at 58.8 volts. Good thing I left a Post It note saying that is recommended. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • DaveinMaine
    DaveinMaine Registered Users Posts: 1
    I'm Surprised that none of  you know the reason to set Battery type to the right type of battery. Most PV controllers have several types of charge available.They can use Bulk Charge, Constant Charge, Boost Charge and Float charge. Finally they use a level called Equalization. Equalization is mostly used for Lead acid Batteries that are not Gel. A Gel battery is not supposed to go through Equalization according to Mighty Max Batteries. That is one of the reasons to set your controller to the right type of battery is important.