Sure Sine 300 No Output

ionlyski
ionlyski Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello,
I've had this unit in service for 10 months.  It has a very low amperage but continuous draw on it; not sure how much but it's just a residential internet modem, thats it.  One day it had no output and smells burnt.  Both green lights are lit as usual.  I opened the cover and checked the 3 fuses that are all mounted next to each other and they are good.  There is no generator tied to it or any other electronics, just the battery system which has a Morningstar solar charger connected to it.  Any ideas?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a warranty claim.  I've had one, running 7 or 8 years now, powering tool battery chargers and LED string lights, on 24/7 except the worst 2-3 weeks in winter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any lightning activity in your area?
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • ionlyski
    Any lightning activity in your area?

Yes, probably.  How would that tie in to the system though?  I'm not sure if I'm even tied into my ground rod.  But now that you mention it, yes some big lighting.  Not sure if the failure was at the exact same time though.

What is the best way to ground and/or protect my system in the future from lightning?

Thanks,
    Arne
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018 #5
    A strike, even indirect, can cause havoc, believe me, I've lost both an inverter and a charge controller, the inverter was taken out by a direct strike to a grounded arrestor, unfortunately there was an AC circuit in close proximity which took the induced  voltage , taking out the inverter, I was present on that occasiom, the second event occurred in my absence,, but was 5 Km away seeing a violent storm pass by where the equipment is located , upon my return there was the smell of magic smoke from the controller, is there a way to protect a system 100%, I think not.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • ionlyski
    Wow! I wish I knew enough to protect it better though. There is the satellite internet dish, the modem, 3 solar panels on the metal roof, the charger/controller inside the house next to the batteries and inverter.  Should I drive a ground rod and tie that gear to it?
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the modem is wired type (phone or cable), that could be one path. Does the modem still work?AC wiring from inverter to modem is another possible path.

You can get devices for these paths which can offer some protection, but I suspect Mcgivor has tried many and found them not 100% effective. Still, if you live in a lightning prone area, you may want consider adding some protection even if it isn't going to completely eliminate the risk.

Damage can occur without a direct strike and catastrophic failure, with failures occurring well after (hours-days-weeks) the event.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    there are lots of threads on lightning...  do a search and start reading then pose a question or 2
    and the answer is YES, ground out your system but it has to  be done right...  I'm not any kind of lightning expert....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada