LiPo4 battery selection

Options
mcgivor
mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Recently I met someone who wants to install a solar system to augment  the unreliable grid which frequently is under voltage as well as being subject to frequent blackouts. He is sold on LiPo4 despite my suggestion of using flooded  LA,  I've offered to help but my experience with LiPo4 is, less than limited. Having read threads of others using these batteries/cells it would appear that prysmatic are the way to go, rather than the so called drop in replacements. Done a fair bit of research and have narrowed it down to a few vendors, the price per Ah/cell is $0.75, so a 100Ah cell would be $75 or fractional  divisions thereof , the one which stands out is a 24V nominal 240Ah, including a BMS self contained in an aluminum box, any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. The charging/inverter  hardware will most likely be SMA or Schneider due local availability, the capacity will be carefully calculated according to loads, which I'm reasonably well versed, there are so many options regarding cells and capacity, however the primary focus is the inclusion of a BMS, which makes sense, yes/no? This is a link to a possible vendor, I'm in Thailand so logically its reasonable to purchase semi locally for shipping considerations. 
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/direct-manufacturer-24V-240Ah-deep-cycle_60703345450.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.189.75021834gGbsEg
1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As long as you place the battery in an isolated area where it is unlikely to allow it's fire to spread into house or nearby land,  you are pretty much on your own.  The quality of BMS varys greatly, and the interaction between charging source and BMS and Load and BMS is currently poor.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would want the system to at a minimum communicate Soc, temperature and the other vitals. The inverter needs to be picked to make sure it can't overcurrent the battery. The charge source needs to be matched also.
    It is an advanced project that I would not use for a client if there was something pre-made. As Mike said alot of quality issues!

There are excellent choices but it will cost you. I do not see it getting much better in the near term. An example below that I use.
    Discover by AES is a direct replacement with xanbus in a 6.5KWH. They are around a thousand dollars per KWH which is typical for LFP
    They will take the surge from an XW without damage as the guys who built it worked for Schneider. They are building an interface for Outback at this time. The model below is available in 24V also.

"we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Mike, points duly noted, its is impossible to know the quality of the BMS without actually testing over a period of time, which would require carefully monitoring all parameters, from limited feedback of others, it would appear there are significantly more components which logically means increased potential for failure, especially on a home brew system. As this is not something I'll actually be constantly monitoring perhaps it's better to go with an integrated system as Dave suggests, which was my initial suggestion, the Axitec/SMA system (pdf attached ) was where I started the price of the battery is ~ $680  per Kw. local and in stock. The attraction to the linked batteries was because all things considered, in terms of capacity vs depth of discharge, it actually works out ~25% less expensive or $130 per Kw than lead acid, shipping costs not included.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.