My AC Solar Input Not Displaying

I have my SW4048 AC coupled to my Enphase Microinverter Solar System, so the Solar power comes in as AC to the critical loads panel where it is coupled with the SW4048. Everything seems to work fine, however when viewing the system performance diagram on the Conext Combox, I never see any energy flow from the solar input. How can I get it to show how much energy is coming in from the AC coupled solar?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From the Enphase monitor, do you see them generating power/energy for your system (on grid mode and off grid mode)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally, solar production information comes from the charge controller, but I believe in this configuration, you will need to get the data from the Enphase Microinverters via software or web portal.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • TheVillagesGuy
    TheVillagesGuy Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭
    BB. said:
    From the Enphase monitor, do you see them generating power/energy for your system (on grid mode and off grid mode)?

-Bill
    Yes. They are generating a lot of power. However, it does not appear in the Conext Combox when AC coupled. I am thinking it only shows if it is coming in as DC, through a Solar Charge Controller.....which I cannot use. The Enphase micro inverters convert the DC to AC right at the panel, so it meets up with the output of the Conext SW4048 at the critical loads panel.
  • TheVillagesGuy

Raj174 said:
    Normally, solar production information comes from the charge controller, but I believe in this configuration, you will need to get the data from the Enphase Microinverters via software or web portal.
    Raj174 said:
    That is what I am thinking, at this point. I was hoping to be able to see the flow on the Conext System Performance page....but maybe that is not possible with an AC solar system.

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your inverter supports it, it should show as AC input charging the battery or supplying loads

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018 #7
    Being that the output from the Enphase system is connected to the output of the SW, thereby using its output as a reference to synchronize , it would make sense that the ensrgy produced is is not seen because its being consumed by loads. In order to see an input value, the AC support needs to be connected to an input, but GT needs a reference to produce, hense AC coupling. 
    The only display possible, or should it be called a non display, would be the reduced load on the SW whilst the GT inverters are supporting loads, in essence the SW is blind to the AC coupling. Short of installing an external watt hour meter/logger the amount of energy used/produced would be unknown, AC coupling in this manner is one of the negative aspects, when loads are light the GT production goes wasted, unless a dump load, such as a hot water tank is used to at least absorb some of the otherwise lost production. My understanding of the theroy of operation at least.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • TheVillagesGuy
    mcgivor said:
    Being that the output from the Enphase system is connected to the output of the SW, thereby using its output as a reference to synchronize , it would make sense that the ensrgy produced is is not seen because its being consumed by loads. In order to see an input value, the AC support needs to be connected to an input, but GT needs a reference to produce, hense AC coupling. 
    The only display possible, or should it be called a non display, would be the reduced load on the SW whilst the GT inverters are supporting loads, in essence the SW is blind to the AC coupling. Short of installing an external watt hour meter/logger the amount of energy used/produced would be unknown, AC coupling in this manner is one of the negative aspects, when loads are light the GT production goes wasted, unless a dump load, such as a hot water tank is used to at least absorb some of the otherwise lost production. My understanding of the theroy of operation at least.
    I think you are correct about not being able to view it. However, the excess PV production is still being passed through the inverter and to the grid......as the grid meter is recording it, so I will still get my pathetic credit for it.
  • MisterSandals
    MisterSandals Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I think you are correct about not being able to view it. However, the excess PV production is still being passed through the inverter and to the grid......as the grid meter is recording it, so I will still get my pathetic credit for it.
    I can confirm this is still horribly broken.
    Even with the new and hideously implemented InsightHome product, the AC Couple “Smart” Charge feature is a failure. The InsightLocal web display shows power coming into the AC Out getting passed to the grid instead of charging batteries as advertised (and touted).

The AC Couple Smart Charge feature cannot switch between charge and invert despite having all the info and capability to do so.
    To work round this bug, I need to manually turn off AC Support Mode when my solar produces excess in my critical loads panel that goes to the SW AC Output. This is necessary to charge my battery.

Similarly, at sunset, I need to enable AC Support Mode to use my battery to support my grid loads.

Either fix this or update your docs to show “AC Couple STUPID Charge.  Seriously this is years overdue.