inverter for well pump

mrleemus1
mrleemus1 Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
i have a typical L1 + N + L2  (220 volt) well pump . I have plenty of solar panels and plenty of storage batteries. I need an inverter that will do the job. Any recommendations from the group on a fairly inexpensive unit that i can use?
Lee

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to little information, there is no typical water pump, deep well, shallow well, suction head, total head, current rating, power factor,the list goes on.......but welcome to the forum, please give more detailed information your  questions are too vague for anyone to comment, location may help as products vary in different markets.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • mrleemus1
    mrleemus1 Registered Users Posts: 28 ✭✭
    This pump is on my house solar system that is @ 6,000 watts of panels with two Trace 24 volt 4,000 watt inverters in series to get 220 volts - i want to seperate it from my house system.---its a 1 horsepower Grundfos deep well pump. 220 volt that draws around 6-7 amps. The pressure switch shuts it off at 40-45 psi.
    I am in central california
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1HP pump will need a pretty beefy inverter to start it up.
    Is there a Pump Control Box (not the pressure switch) that has some electronics in it, to start the pump, or is it buried in the pump down the hole.   There are 2 types of AC pumps. 3 wire and 2 wire.  2 wire has control box down the hole, 3 wire has control box on top for easy service of the capacitor that goes bad.
    Here's a chart of typical pump motors, all generic AC induction motors have about the same power requirements. Starting draw is many times running current LRA = Locked Rotor Amps and your inverter needs to be able to supply that power for about 3-5 seconds.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, does the pump currently work with existing inverters?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #6

mrleemus1 said: Just to clarify - and more information that may be relavent--yes the pump currently works fine---If memory serves correctly---; It started out @ 10 yrs ago  as a variable frequency drive Grundfos sq series with a CU-301 controller. That controller failed 2 two times (cost over $300 each time) and was subsequently replaced 4 yrs ago with a typical pressure switch system. I have plenty of spare panels and batteries and want to set up another array to supply the power needed. I just don't know what inverter to get. I dont wanna duplicate the 2 trace inverter system thats too costly. Lee

If your pump is an SQ, buying the controller for $400, adding all your extra panels to power it, invest in a large storage tank and use a small 120V pressure pump & tank might work unless you have a need for the pump to run all day. Cycling is what kills the controller. If you can just let it run off the solar panels direct into a storage tank it should last many years. IMO

ps,,just reread your first post and I thought you had extra panels..i now see it is part of your system.
  • Estragon
    An inverter (or stack thereof) that will handle the surge for the pump won't be cheap, especially with 230vac output and 24vdc input. Depending on your other loads, maybe consider using the existing inverters for the pump, and new for the house?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Estragon said:
    An inverter (or stack thereof) that will handle the surge for the pump won't be cheap, especially with 230vac output and 24vdc input. Depending on your other loads, maybe consider using the existing inverters for the pump, and new for the house?
    It may be close, but I think that the Schneider Electric SW4024 would be able to handle it. My opinion is based mostly on researching this very data before we bought it for out cabin. It has a split-phase 240V output, so it can support the 3-wire 1HP pump. It is now operating at our cabin, with a 2-wire 120V 1/2HP pump on one leg without appearing to even strain much. We plan to replace that 42 year old pump with the 230V 1/2HP SQ when the old one fails. The SW4024 has a 7,000W surge capability, which is a little less than @mike95490 posted in his table. But the surge on one leg according to Mike's table would exceed what the SW4024 is spec'd for on one leg. One difference in our situation may be that our other loads that may be one when the pump runs are really small (LED lights and cell phone chargers).
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #9
    > i have a typical L1 + N + L2  (220 volt) well pump .

Every 220V well pump I've seen doesn't make use of neutral and therefore doesn't need a split-phase inverter.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• Estragon
    > @jonr said:
    > > i have a typical L1 + N + L2  (220 volt) well pump .
    >
    > Every 220V well pump I've seen doesn't make use of neutral and therefore doesn't need a split-phase inverter.

You still need 230-240v phase to phase, and 24vdc in.
    Off-grid.  
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Do your pump have soft start? The ones that have soft start have are supposed to have perminent  magnets that do not need a power surge to start. I have a 1/2 horsepower one laid up for when my 220 volt pump fails, but it keeps on chugging away. I have a magnum inverter MS-4024 that runs my 3/4 hp  pump I bought at home depot and the water heater at the same time. The magnum also supplys 220 volt. Solar vic