Should I install latest softwear .

Options
Thom
Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
I bought a kid charge controler 3 years ago I think . It's working fine . Would you just leave it b or install latest softwear ?

thom
Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 

Comments

• Thom
    Options
    A guess I should add it's not the system listed below. It's at a log cabin w 280w panel, 2 6v golf cart batteries and a 300 w suresine inverter 

thanks thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had the same question before with my Classic 200. It's now in Baja away from the internet, The one time I did a software update it was quite the hassle and I don't think I gained any meaningful improvement.  Makes me think, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #4
    Options

There have been quite a number of improvements in the KID (and Classic)   Firmware,   over the past several years.

Updating the KID FW  is normally quite easy  --   an easy Drag & Drop on the Desktop,   on Windoze machines.

Will admit,   that the Classics and the KID here,   are a few revs behind.

Have been getting ready to try Updating the Classics.   possibly later today.

FWIW,   Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish midnite was a bit more diligent in documenting changes.  There are things that can go wrong with updating firmware (and it's a PITA), so I'm reluctant to do so unless I have a compelling reason to.  My classics run a recent but not current version of firmware, and I won't likely update firmware absent a good reason.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Solray
    Solray Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I always run the latest firmware for all my electronics (receivers, thermostats, Sprinkler timers, cameras, motherboards, GPUs, OSs etc.) I would do the same for any equipment I own and operate.
    For me it has always proven to be advantageous to run the latest supported versions.
    The more you keep things updated the easier it is and the less intimidating it becomes.
  • Vic
    edited July 2017 #7
    Options
    Estragon said:
    I wish midnite was a bit more diligent in documenting changes.  There are things that can go wrong with updating firmware (and it's a PITA), so I'm reluctant to do so unless I have a compelling reason to.  My classics run a recent but not current version of firmware, and I won't likely update firmware absent a good reason.

Hi Estragon,

First,  MidNite does reveal some of the fixes that newer FW versions addressed.   See this page,   as an example for the latest Classic FW version:
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=9&firmwareProduct_ID=1&act=edit

AND,  yes,   sometimes Updating the Classic FW in the past could contain some drama.
    BUT,  just Updated one Classic 150,  in use here,   and the new "Programmer"  for Classics  is very easy to use,   all went smoothly,   and it seems to also be faster to complete Updates.

Also,   the Local App (kinna a Dashboard that runs on your computer that displays current power production,   and allows control and data recording)  allows one to Export all of the custom settings in a Classic,   and Import them after installing a fresh Update ...   all of this,  you probably know.

You might consider giving the new Update environment a try.

FWIW,   Good Luck,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Estragon
    Options
    Thanks @Vic, good info. I do use local app for changing stuff and downloading logs and settings.

I have one classic out of three that for no apparent reason, doesn't play well with LA. It seems fine with Graham's android app, but craps out the connection with LA in anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. It gets the connection back a few seconds later, but makes getting logs, etc. a bit laborious. Maybe the MAC address bug mentioned in the release note is connected. Will see if there's something on the MN forum on that.

Do you happen to know the size of coin battery it takes? One of the things that makes updating a PITA is having to take the cover off to get at the usb port, so while I'm in there, I'll change the coin battery.

I have used an old vista ( or maybe XP) laptop to update, but I do have a newer one that should run whatever "programmer" is. One issue I had with the old way was that none of the usb cables that came with the classics worked for firmware updates, so I used a shorter cable for a handheld GPS which worked. Did you use the longer MN supplied cable?
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Estragon, I used the usb cable s supplied with no trouble, though with the first attempts to update, I was wondering if they might have been at fault,  but the partial success were the puzzle,  like it would work today and tomorrow  not....???   just don't know...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Vic
    edited July 2017 #10
    Options
    Estragon said:
    Thanks @Vic, good info. I do use local app for changing stuff and downloading logs and settings.

I have one classic out of three that for no apparent reason, doesn't play well with LA. It seems fine with Graham's android app, but craps out the connection with LA in anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. It gets the connection back a few seconds later, but makes getting logs, etc. a bit laborious. Maybe the MAC address bug mentioned in the release note is connected. Will see if there's something on the MN forum on that.

Do you happen to know the size of coin battery it takes? One of the things that makes updating a PITA is having to take the cover off to get at the usb port, so while I'm in there, I'll change the coin battery.

I have used an old vista ( or maybe XP) laptop to update, but I do have a newer one that should run whatever "programmer" is. One issue I had with the old way was that none of the usb cables that came with the classics worked for firmware updates, so I used a shorter cable for a handheld GPS which worked. Did you use the longer MN supplied cable?

Hi Estragon,

I DO use the included USB cable supplied with the Classic.  Just leave it permanently connected to the Classic,  so removal of the front cover is not needed.

As Halfcrazy Ryan mentioned on the MN Forum,   it is possible that the Network cable connected to the Classic might be conducting noise from the Classic,   and perhaps upsetting the USB data on its cable.   He DID say that for Classics which were difficult to FW Update,   unplugging the Ethernet cable could make a large improvement in the ability to update those reluctant Classics.  We separate all of the PV and battery cabling from all of the Comm,   BTS and Control cabling  --  each in its own metal conduit,   which might have a slight benefit in comm reliability,   perhaps.

Some have said that a shorter USB cable is often better for updates on those Classics that are a bit reluctant.

I believe that the Coin battery in the MNGP is a #1216   IIRC ...
    EDIT:  Checked my spare MNGP Coin battery,  it IS a #1216.   Searched the MN Forum,   and there are several references to a 1216 being the MNGP back-up battery,  but not from a MN tech person.   Will try searching the latest Cl Manual ...<<

Honestly,   I had not updated the Cl FW since 1849,   which is probably dates from about three years ago.   But with the new Update environment,   I will be less reluctant to update again.   Have three more Classics left to Ud.   Am considering migrating the the Cloud data storage  system  --  My MidNite,   so,  more recent FW is required for that.

All FWIW,   Good Luck,    Vic

• Solray
    Options
    You may want to add a ferrite choke to the cable if you are getting crosstalk interference from the other cables or sources nearby.
  • Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Always install the latest version firmware. There is a reason it needs updating even though you may not understand why.
  • Estragon
    Options
    Thanks Vic - very helpful.
    Off-grid.  
  • Lumisol
    Options
     ;) 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion, the midnight classic firmware update procedure sucks.   Some folks say it works OK with win 10.  I use an old laptop with XP, since the driver config instructions for win 8, are over 10 pages, and it never worked for me,  Midnight also repairs a lot of "bricked" controllers.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• westbranch
    edited July 2017 #16
    Options
    see post #4 here,http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3772.0
     the new installer works with XP and up to W10....  Happy days...!

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow, that new installer slipped by me, gotta try it   Thanks
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Solray
    Options
    Midnite is a little behind the curve when it comes to updates, but they will catch up someday maybe. The problem is they started with a very poorly implemented system and have tried to play catch up ever since. The competition is lightyears ahead on their firmware updates and are also still improving so midnite is where they were at 5 years ago and will be where their competition is now in another 5 years.
  • Vic
    Options
    Solray said:
    Midnite is a little behind the curve when it comes to updates, but they will catch up someday maybe. The problem is they started with a very poorly implemented system and have tried to play catch up ever since. The competition is lightyears ahead on their firmware updates and are also still improving so midnite is where they were at 5 years ago and will be where their competition is now in another 5 years.

Have to disagree with you Solray.

Do not see any comparative examples in the above Quote.

What is your experience with Updating the FW in Classics?  A Signature line would help us understand your system.  Have you tried the latest FW "Programmer"  for the Classic?

The newest Classic Update environment is quite straightforward,   and easy to use.

The Classic CCs are very,   very comprehensive devices.   This makes them more complex than most any other CC.   This adds nuances.

Schneider CCs need extra cost gizmos to control and Update FW (MPPT 80-600),    or to Update in the case of the MPPT 60.   All of this is built-into the Classic,   at a very affordable price.

I AM a bit of a fan-person of MidNite products.   Have tried and used a number of other CCs.    The Classic is tops,   in my book.   It is not quite perfect,   but far closer to perfection than any other CC that I've seen.    But,  often if one just wants a stupid CC,   with lots of optional,  expensive doo-dads hanging off of it,   then have at it.    CCs,  like many other RE hardware,   are very application-specific.

My opinions,   Vic

• Thom
    Options
    the kid has worked flawlessly since put into service. That's y a asked if I should upgrade.

thanks all thom
  • Lumisol
    Options
    Yes. Always upgrade when a new version becomes available.
  • Thom
    Options
    Lumisol said:
    Yes. Always upgrade when a new version becomes available.
    So you own a kid charge controler now and have updated the firmware ?

thom
  • Estragon
    Options
    And when you updated the controller, it worked better?
    Off-grid.  
  • Horsefly
    Horsefly Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a ton of testimonials on line of people who upgraded their router or modem or whatever, and bricked it, when there was actually nothing in the new firmware that applied to their situation.  My rule is completely the opposite from what has been suggested here: Unless something in the release notes clearly applies to your situation, there is no reason to risk making the situation much worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Off-grid cabin: 6 x Canadian Solar CSK-280M PV panels, Schneider XW-MPPT60-150 Charge Controller, Schneider CSW4024 Inverter/Charger, Schneider SCP, 8S (25.6V), 230Ah Eve LiFePO4 battery in a custom insulated and heated case.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017 #25
    Options
    Over a 5 year period dealing with a problem on fire alarm panels, 56 in total, the manufacturer released 4  updated firmware EPROM chips in an attempt correct the problem. The update involved physically replacing the chips, defaulting, reprogramming the entire panel, then verifying, a time consuming exercise ×56. On the fourth  revision, the problem was solved, some required new mother board due to being outdated

The point being, updates to cure an error or add a feature may actually cause other unforseen issues, if an update is critical to the function of a system, then an update is required, if the update is non critical it's often best to evaluate it's importance and delay until another revision is released dealing with a critical problem. Obviously life safety equipment is not the same, but having the option to delay installing an update that is non critical or irrelevant is something to think about. Or wait and see if, over time, no issues arise from those who fell the need to always update to the latest firmware revision.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • littleharbor2
    littleharbor2 Solar Expert Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That had to be frustrating.  Unfortunately this type of technology isn't any smarter than the people building and programing it.

2.1 Kw Suntech 175 mono, Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 ( 15 years old  but brand new out of sealed factory box Jan. 2015), Bogart Tri-metric,  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4 battery bank. Plenty of Baja Sea of Cortez sunshine.

• Solray
    Options
    I would say if you are not sure of how to do an update and completely comfortable doing it, either send it to the manufacturer for the update or just don't do it at all and buy a new version from the manufacturer that is already running the new software.
    As a person who understands programming, I always update everything I own that has firmware built into it bit if you don't know what you are doing or why, there is a good chance you will screw something up if you try.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Solray said:
    I would say if you are not sure of how to do an update and completely comfortable doing it, either send it to the manufacturer for the update or just don't do it at all and buy a new version from the manufacturer that is already running the new software.
    As a person who understands programming, I always update everything I own that has firmware built into it bit if you don't know what you are doing or why, there is a good chance you will screw something up if you try.
    Totally agree! I have several offgrid clients still running the original Schneider and Outback inverter firmware from 10+ years ago..
    If you are not exposing the power system to the internet there really is little need to do any update on a working system.
    Good firmware should always come with "release notes" that inform all of the issues addressed in the firmware. This will allow you to understand what may or may not be an issue.

It should also very obvious to someone offgrid that once you get into the inverter/charger firmware you will lose AC power on an Outback or Schneider inverter. If your modem is in the loop you will crash the firmware and possible lose power. There are ways to get around this but
    if the release notes do not show any reason to update why do it?

However new firmware does often reduce the odds of "bricking" equipment and is a good idea to keep up to date. Some even make recovering a dead inverter much easier. It is a completely different level of risk offgrid with the inverter, and that is my point. ;)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• westbranch
    Options

It should also very obvious to someone offgrid that once you get into the inverter/charger firmware you will lose AC power on an Outback or Schneider inverter. If your modem is in the loop you will crash the firmware and possible lose power. There are ways to get around this but
    if the release notes do not show any reason to update why do it?

However new firmware does often reduce the odds of "bricking" equipment and is a good idea to keep up to date. Some even make recovering a dead inverter much easier. It is a completely different level of risk offgrid with the inverter, and that is my point.

And at this point the word ''redundancy'' should be up front, ie have a spare , even a smaller unit , like a KID if you have a Classic CC, sitting on the shelf or  a second small array /c battery   as a backup 'just in case', that can be commissioned for essentials....

• Solray
    Options
    By the way, software is soft clothing, software is the program that runs on hardware (a computer or device with a processor) and wet ware is a human brain.