My new system is up and running.......thanks everyone!

porch13
porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
After much planning, re-planning, sore backs, and busted knuckles, our new off-grid solar setup is finally up and running.  We did everything ourselves and I learned a ton in the process.  Thank you to everyone for patiently answering question after question and a special thanks to the good folks at NAWS for guidance in product selection, etc.  They really have a great group of people over there.  Here are a few photos of the finished work:

Array:

Batteries:

Equipment:  (this is all in a room under the cabin that stays nice and cool year-round.  I installed a Trimetric in the cabin so I don't have to run downstairs to monitor things)  

Have a great day everyone!
Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice instalation, don't become too complacent and forget the batteries, you'll have to go down there once in a while with flooded to check the SG, hope everything works out, nice of you to share and not be a stranger, good luck.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • porch13
    Thanks, @mcgivor!  I'm actually somewhat obsessive about maintenance and have already started my log of SG's.  I'm looking forward to continually tweaking things to keep those batteries fat & happy!
    Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Very clean install!

Thank you for letting us see your final system.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's a marrige, you'll probably spend more time with the system, at least I seem too, my wife undestands, she always asks first if she wants to use something with a large consumption, well trained I guess :D

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Surfpath
    Surfpath Solar Expert Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Howdy Porch13,
    Nice, clean job.  My solar room used to look like that.  Now it looks like a regular semi-messy project-tool room.

I also have a FP1 (48v).  It looks like you ended up with just the one string of Rolls (468 amp hrs) - cool.  I don't know if that particular battery was available when I got my bank (Trojan RE-B's 370 amp hrs), but if I were aware I would have considered it.

I am 4.3 years into my batteries and currently cycle down to 55% SOC at dawn (my fridge is getting old and inefficient - I'm looking to replace it this summer in order to keep the bank a little longer).

Out of curiosity what's your panel set up?  I have 30v grid connected panels (220w) at 3 panels a series, total of 12 panels (4 series). It looks like you could have that plus one more series? 

Again, well done!
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • porch13
    Thanks @Surfpath!  I do just have one string of the 605's.  I'm only cycling them down to about to about 85% SOC every day so I hope I can keep them healthy for a long, long time.  As for my array, I have five strings of three Kyocera KU-270's, so my array produces around 100V / 40A.  I get great sun in Northern Arizona so I'm typically floating well before noon.  Now I just need to figure out how to use all of that extra power I'm generating when the bank is floating!
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you use any 'electrical  grease' on the terminals to inhibit corrosion? You can get it at most automotive stores, or you can use Vaseline if needed.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017 #9
    Is there any cooling advantage to a gap between/under the batteries?

Maybe monitor summer humidity to avoid corrosion in the electronics.  Vapor barrier paint on the walls and floor should help with this.

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonr said:
    Is there any cooling advantage to a gap between/under the batteries?
    For sure, yes.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• porch13
    I'm really lucky in that my battery room stays cool year-round.  @westbranch I didn't put any protection on the terminals.  I was under the impression that, with proper ventilation, it's not strictly necessary.  With the Zephyr fan on the box, I'm hoping I won't get any corrosion.  I also added Water Miser caps to the batteries.  Not sure how much water I'll save, but I sure like the flip top cap....makes it easy to check the SGs and water levels.

• Surfpath
    Out of my bank of 8 batteries (4+ years now) I only see corrosion on one of the (16) terminals.  it's on the last battery in the bank. 

Basically, it looks a little green in between and a bit around around the 'joint' between the battery cable and the terminal.  In a few weeks I plan to a toothbrush and scrape it off.  Maybe use some vaseline, as mentioned above, to stop further greenery?  
    Outback Flexpower 1 (FM80, VFX3048E-230v, Mate, FlexNetDC) 2,730watts of "Grid-type" PV, 370 AmpHrs Trojan RE-B's, Honda 2000 watt genny, 100% off grid.
  • Surfpath
    porch13 said:
    As for my array, I have five strings of three Kyocera KU-270's, so my array produces around 100V / 40A.  I get great sun in Northern Arizona so I'm typically floating well before noon. 
    Just out of curiosity Porch, what is the AWG of the wire that goes from your combiner box to your charge controller (ie. to handle those 40 amps)? 
  • porch13
    Hi @Surfpath.....The wiring from the combiner to the CC is 2 AWG welding wire.

• Lumisol
    Lumisol Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Those components seem a bit crowded, they might be happier with a little more breathing room between them.
    Be careful around that array with those loose wires on the ground.
    I'd also put an inch or two between those batteries for better air flow there. They are butted right up to one another in the picture.
  • Lumisol
    porch13 said:
    I'm really lucky in that my battery room stays cool year-round.  @westbranch I didn't put any protection on the terminals.  I was under the impression that, with proper ventilation, it's not strictly necessary.  With the Zephyr fan on the box, I'm hoping I won't get any corrosion.  I also added Water Miser caps to the batteries.  Not sure how much water I'll save, but I sure like the flip top cap....makes it easy to check the SGs and water levels.

I'd put a coat of dielectric grease or molylube on the connections anyways, it can't hurt and will help.
    Don't forget to re-torque to 75% of original torque after a year.
  • Lumisol
    porch13 said:
    Hi @Surfpath.....The wiring from the combiner to the CC is 2 AWG welding wire.

Is that a 20 meter run of cable?
  • porch13
    Roughly 22 meters.