li ion, ni fe, or lead acid for my RV?

hello.  i have a 3000 watt aims pure sine inverter charger.  also, a 60 amp mppt controller.  i am trying to figure what batteries to get, now!  they are going into my uhaul i am making into an RV.   originally, i was all about going li ion.  but, now, im not so sure.  i dont know who to trust, for one.  and, nife is around the same price. however, lead acid has worked for years... so i wanted to get some more opinions!      

the big thing i want to run is my ac unit.  so im figuring i need at least 4kwh usable power.   i can mount the batts inside, and build them into my bedframe.  the ac unit is 1200 watts, but, hopefully will be less on lower settings... 

i hope i didnt mess up by buying this inverter!  i thought i had a gameplan... but now im not so sure.  li ion guys all bash each other, and, everyone is backed up on orders, too!   im liking the idea of nife batteries lasting 30 years... cause ill be like 70 by then, lol.

what do you guys think?    

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The volume and weight of NiFe would NOT work for a mobile application.  I'd really suggest sticking with plain simple lead acid golf cart batteries.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how you are going to charge these, but I think Nickel Iron lose more in the charging, maybe a 1/3rd. If solar on a small scale it would be difficult. I like the energy density of the lithium Ph, and if you can afford it that would be great.

If you hope to run an AC, I hope you plan on other than solar to charge. It would be very difficult to have enough roof top to run an AC on solar stored energy.

4kwh @ 50%  isn't a lot of storage. If you have other loads it will get used up quickly. If it's parked in shade and has lots of insulation, you might have some usable time, but this is going to require a good sized array!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a 12 volt system, I would suggest your array will need another charge controller. and the AIMS inverter is larger than I would run on a 12 volt system.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Your idea is plagued with difficulties. 3000 watt inverter, small roof, air conditioning on solar..those are a few. Just trying to save you $$$ and heartache.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Regarding batteries under your bed frame... Several issues.

Flooded Cell Lead Acid will vent hydrogen (and oxygen) gas--And they will (probably) have a bit of electrolyte mist (rusting nearby metal, some folks are sensitive to rotten egg smell of sulfuric acid).

AGM are sealed lead acid. But can vent if over charged and will eventually vent/fail as they reach end of life (still lead acid batteries).

I believe Ni-Fe batteries vent (hydrogen+oxygen) too.

LiFePO4 batteries do not normally vent.

But in any case, there is also the issue of wiring under your bed--Unless you have a fire resistant box under your bed--I do not really like that much stored energy (low voltage/high current) under somebody's sleeping area.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset