Home Depot is selling some wire very inexpesively!

Photowhit
Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, I recently purchased some #6 wire I needed for a project. I did new pricing last week and figured a broken spool of green #6 for $100 would be about half price and worth the gamble. Home depot was the cheapest I found at about $200. I went back this week to check the weight (to see if I got a full spool, I did) and found they are down to $162 for a 500ft spool. Pretty darn cheap. Grainger is $398! I didn't check across the board, but if you are looking it might be worth checking out!
Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
- Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
Tagged:

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Depot is almost always the place to buy 19 strand wire in quantity and solid. The whole electrical department is almost always  better than Lowes. The price will fluctuate with the metal markets.
    Run hi voltage and all you need is #10.....
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail [email protected]

• Photowhit
    Low voltage 60-70, DC for water heater. 80-90 foot run... Everyone wanted $50+ for 100 feet.

I think I'm going to use a 2000 watt 120 volt element, and feed it the output from strings of 2-35vmp panels. Though I might alter the base a bit with some non conductive material. Perhaps JB Weld. Hate to have an arc ruin a perfectly good life!

I've been very successful using my array this year, but want to simplify my life a bit, but not go with gas. Fall and winter are always the most difficult time to get enough heating. Shorter days and I'm leaving the house earlier. Have also gone to longer absorb to keep my batter. SG up. I've got 14 of 185 watt panels sitting in a closet and time and most of the odds and ends to do this, long ago forgotten project.  10 gauge would carry the wattage, and 8 under 2% loss, just like to have the extra.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably just that store? Why would Home Depot nationally sell 6awg at their ~ costs? People buy 6 because they need it....not because of an ad in the paper.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Our electrical wholesalers often told us they couldn't match Home Depot on wire and domestic products but noted that they mainly dealt with industrial, which Home Depot didn't. That was in Canada, not sure what the situation is like in the US.
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Photowhit
    softdown said:
    Probably just that store? Why would Home Depot nationally sell 6awg at their ~ costs? People buy 6 because they need it....not because of an ad in the paper.

I think you are missing something. That was the Online advertised price at Home depot, last week around $200 (I recall 209) this today $162.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-500-ft-6-Green-Stranded-CU-THHN-Wire-20497401/202316411?keyword=SOUTHWIRE+COMPANY+20497401

I would hope they are making money on it. They may even have a floating inventory cost based on Copper's market price, if Dave is right. Not sure where you see that they are selling at their cost. Lots of things have prices that vary due to material costs. Including batteries!

My purchase was off eBay. I think they will show you the listing, though I offered $83 + the $12 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272435901302?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
  • softdown
    Copper is up 19% this week. Was a good time to buy wire.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • softdown
    There are a few signs of a robust economy ahead. Could still be a good time to get your copper cable needs wrapped up...
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/11/us-markets.html

Then again....