Midnite Classic 150 vs Outback 80 ???

2»

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    I am trying to make a decision whether or not purchase Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller.  My array is Solar Panel 10x140watts with a 2.5kva/36V inverter.  I am concerned about my inverter Voltage.  Will this controller work with a 36V inverter?  or Should I go for Outback FM-80
    The Midnite also costs significantly more.
    $563 vs $533 Not very significant to me... and the Classic lite if you can do network setup and remote monitoring via Network cable is $475
    ...made me look...lol
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit said:
    softdown said:
    I am trying to make a decision whether or not purchase Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller.  My array is Solar Panel 10x140watts with a 2.5kva/36V inverter.  I am concerned about my inverter Voltage.  Will this controller work with a 36V inverter?  or Should I go for Outback FM-80
    The Midnite also costs significantly more.
    $563 vs $533 Not very significant to me... and the Classic lite if you can do network setup and remote monitoring via Network cable is $475
    ...made me look...lol
    True....I think the Midnite costs quite a bit more when I last looked. Where are they made now?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    . Where are they made now?
    USA

• softdown
    Good....they may have lowered their prices in recognition of not offering an inverter to pair it with. A significant disadvantage in my book.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Inverters are in the works,  first out the gate will be a 48 modular stackable version. The other voltages and features are also close to being finished as well

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    softdown said:
    Good....they may have lowered their prices in recognition of not offering an inverter to pair it with. A significant disadvantage in my book.
    I really don't care. Set a system up right, check the batteries monthly and forget about it. I've been off grid for many years and would much rather not worry than constantly be worried about little things. A correctly setup system should require very little extras.

It's actually the reason I'm considering replacing the bad/poisoned cell in my battery.  I find I'm checking SG 2x a month. That's more time than I've had to spend on my system in a long while. Heck I stile can't find my Trimetric meter, I took it down about a year after I had my second system hooked up 10 years ago.

I do cut back usage when it's been overcast for a few days, and I'll check things after a longer spell. What do you see that's so interesting? I guess if you are having problems it might help trouble shooting them.

I guess having used the solar so long, I know the current load within a few watts. Currently have water heater running, so 900 watts + slow drains of perhaps 15-45watts ( standby on TV + media player, microwave, smoke detector, emergency radio,standby/charging on computer30 watts if charging) and the inverter's use, plus 120 watts if the fridge is running.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • softdown
    Sounds good Photowit, you have pretty well mastered solar living. By comparison, I am in the midst of installing three strings feeding one power cord. Have also decided to have a try at installing basic cabin solar systems employing ~1200 PV watts or less. I don't think I am geek enough to do 48 volt systems for homes.

I've been lucky so far, thanking this board for that.