MilBay of Australia LiFePO4 battery representative Q&A

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Precautions to take with LiFePO4 batteries.

Poster: MilbayAus
Hi

A little about where LiFePO4 for home solar storage is at in Australia.

For household storage there are some great options for LFP. We worked a long time with our manufacturers to deliver a home solar version of our LFP (LiFePO4) with high quality BMS and communication system.

In Australia we offer a 10 year capacity guarantee.

You can have a look here. We are looking for a US distributor.

http://www.milbay.com.au/Li/SolarHome

Milbay 48V 2kWh (2.4kWh) units install in a modular and expandable way into a standard 19 inch communication racks, we have indoor and outdoor racks.

Milbay Australia can also supply 12V, 24V and 36V in this type of rack mount configuration as well as one off custom applications.

Check out our LiFePO4 powered 4WD side by side UTV we released in 2015 http://www.milbay.com.au/CustomerViews/UTV This UTV uses our custom Automotive BMS/BMC system to deliver really awesome power. Available exclusively from Milbay Australia.
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Normally, we do not allow folks to advertise on the forum... However, if you have questions you would like to ask of Milbay--We can hopefully have some nice information exchange.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I should start a new thread so we don't hijack Karrak's...

The MilbayAus batteries are interesting.  Seeing as how the other side of the site shows EV applications, my initial thought is that you are using a multitude of cylindrical cells in your solar storage products.  Or are they prismatic inside?

If they are cylindrical, I'd like to know the manufacturer and model of the cells if possible.  That way, I can determine the difference between the higher-cost "power cell", vs the lower cost "energy cell".  In a solar storage application, there is no need for "power cells" that are used in EV's and other super high charge current applications (like 10C or even more!) since we can't take advantage of their extremely high charge rate - nor should we pay for that ability we won't use.  Thus, "energy cells" make more sense if one is using cylindrical.

Mods - no problem moving this somewhere else...

• MilbayAus
    MilbayAus Registered Users Posts: 16
    edited January 2016 #4

HI, thanks for leaving, it is a fine line between advertising and new information.

For the solar Milbay use a prismatic LFP (LiFEPO4) cell. Each module can discharge 50Amp (continuous) recharge 10 Amp per unit. eg 4 modules = charge rate up to 40Amp and discharge up to 200Amp.

There is also a 12V version 1.2kWh (1kWh at 80%DOD). Again these are modular and stackable up to 20 kWh with each storage module capable of a Max Charge and discharge 20A (continuous) Connect parallel not series. These are released in February 2016.

There are many different cell options in LFP, Milbay specifications are protected IP. We try and keep it simple so we release only the relevant details for charge controller connection such as Charge Voltage and charge type cc/cv.

Milbay Australia are a new start-up, the IP of LiFePO4 technology is very sensitive and the technical information is not of much help to end users or installers as most important is guarantee of capacity over time and interoperability/compatibility. A consumer and installer black box approach.

Milbay approach solar storage from a guarantee of capacity point of view based on 10 year/80 % DOD formula.

The battery storage modules have remote monitoring ability so from a consumer point of view the intelligent battery system is install and forget. As for discharge, overcharge and other protections this is handled by the custom design BMS in each modular unit. The modular units are sealed against tampering as there are no field serviceable items inside.

These 2.4kWh 48V units are designed to connect directly to most modern Hybrid inverters which can generally expand out to 30 kWh producing a redundant parallel storage system. There are of course other redundancies that can be built into the modern solar storage installation.  

Milbay Australia only supply the LFP storage modules we have installation and distribution partners that do each specific site design. The 12V 1.2kWh units are suitable for mobile, existing and cabin type installations were 12V system is preferable.

For some existing installations a custom LiFePO4 storage solution may be required.

The design team can deliver Megawatt level LiFePO4 storage.

I expect most here are aware that a much smaller LiFePO4 storage system (in Amp hours) is required when replacing an existing lead acid system, and of course smaller footprint, reduced mass, each 2.4kWh unit weighs 30 kg so should reduce work place health and safety (back injury) incidents for battery installers significantly compared to lead acid installations.

Let me know any other questions, can also email our sales department sales@milbay.com.au so I can keep any post informative rather than sales based.

The Milbay intelligent solar storage modular units are quite a technical leap from a SLA replacement type configuration so I expect this is new information to many readers.

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    Normally, we do not allow folks to advertise on the forum... However, if you have questions you would like to ask of Milbay--We can hopefully have some nice information exchange.
    I agree with your decision to allow the comment, but I feel that Milbay's signature ought to have a disclaimer: "The author of this comment is a representative of Milbay Australia."

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #6
    IP = Intellectual Property, you sure wouldn't want anyone knowing the secret of your success or failure of implementing LiFePO4 technology.

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #7
    Given this winters paucity of sun, relative to our average, the statements

"I expect most here are aware that a much smaller LiFePO4 storage system (in Amp hours) is required when replacing an existing lead acid system" and
    "of course other redundancies that can be built into the modern solar storage installation.  "

are critical to users in my situation, low winter input...  leads me to think , without the actual $$ numbers, that an FLA/SLA my stay the solution for those of us riding the 'deficit PV line'...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    >Milbay Australia are a new start-up, the IP of LiFePO4 technology is very sensitive
    > and the technical information is not of much help to end users or installers

Here on the forum we are all about open information. If you dont have it, then you are just another advertiser, for which there are other channels to peddle your wares.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MilbayAus said:

HI, thanks for leaving, it is a fine line between advertising and new information.

,....... Milbay specifications are protected IP. We try and keep it simple so we release only the relevant details for charge controller connection such as Charge Voltage and charge type cc/cv.

............Milbay Australia are a new start-up, the IP of LiFePO4 technology is very sensitive and the technical information is not of much help to end users or installers as most important is guarantee of capacity over time and interoperability/compatibility. A consumer and installer black box approach

Without information, it is purely snake oil advertising.  Cyl or prismatic. actual cell mfg, this is all information users need to have in order to make a purchase decision, unless you have posted a international bond to cover warranty claims.   Without information Perceive your company as a "Quick sell product and then go bankrupt".  Happens way too often in the solar business.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• MilbayAus
    mike95490 said:
    MilbayAus said:

,....... Milbay specifications are protected IP. We try and keep it simple so we release only the relevant details for charge controller connection such as Charge Voltage and charge type cc/cv.

............Milbay Australia are a new start-up, the IP of LiFePO4 technology is very sensitive and the technical information is not of much help to end users or installers as most important is guarantee of capacity over time and interoperability/compatibility. A consumer and installer black box approach

Without information, it is purely snake oil advertising.  Cyl or prismatic. actual cell mfg, this is all information users need to have in order to make a purchase decision, unless you have posted a international bond to cover warranty claims.   Without information Perceive your company as a "Quick sell product and then go bankrupt".  Happens way too often in the solar business.

Wow that is quite a leap, The information you seek about cell manufacturer is protected information. Our premium manufacturer partner is a major supplier of LFP technology to China Telecom and is proven over many years. Milbay will release more information at some time in the future but this is unnecessary for this conversation.

I am simply showing that intelligent LFP systems are available now. What I can say that LFP and Lithium ion technologies are very simple to the end user but complicated in design. The system shown here is completed and available now. I do not believe the information you seek about cell manufacturer is relevant in any way as there are no western or Australian comparisons to be made.

The Milbay brand is recognised internationally and export products to several countries. You don't know our brand as we are a new Lithium battery and electric transport start up, 2.4kWh LiFePO4 solar storage modules and LiFePO4 Electric 4WD are our first major product releases in 2015.

Many were surprised when Milbay were the first western company in the world to offer a production model LFP side by side UTV electric vehicle, however this is the case.

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that Tesla appears to be finalizing the introduction of two different Lithium Ion solar battery technologies....this is interesting timing. Made in China...Distributed out of Australia...they will have to offer a very large savings in order to compete with the brand name of Tesla. I'm a believer that competition is always a good thing for innovation and the consumer.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • PNjunction
    MilbayAus said:  Wow that is quite a leap, The information you seek about cell manufacturer is protected information. Our premium manufacturer partner is a major supplier of LFP technology to China Telecom and is proven over many years. Milbay will release more information at some time in the future but this is unnecessary for this conversation.[/quote]

Ok, well we are the wrong demographic then, and this board is being used for free advertising instead of using a proper channel.

Sadly, this "protected ip" is actually doing harm for long term adoption in the long run.  Why should I take your word on it as opposed to other Australian outfits like LiFeTech?

Since it is so protected, we have no way of knowing if we are dealing with a rectangular box that was used to power a hover-board, or actually has solid engineering inside.

We can go on, but this is just the wrong audience to peddle this to.

This is part of the reason I post about LFP, since there is no real secret to it all.

Anyway, the more we haggle about it, the more free advertising you get.  It's give and take man - no specs, no respect.

• MilbayAus
    edited January 2016 #13

Thank you for the questions.

About hover boards. I actually know the complete history of the hoverboard introduction and lifecycle to date if it was an actual question I would be happy to answer.

I am not making any statement about the Tesla product as it is unavailable however I feel obliged to point to the difference in chemical safety between liFePO4 and18650 Li which is very well known and public so I wont add to it here.

Milbay LiFePO4 with inherent safety and intelligent management that is actually available for install

V

non existent Tesla technology, I admit it is hard to do the comparison, sorry but there is no other way to say this :).

Also I find it difficult to compare an intelligent specifically designed total battery system (like the 2.4kWh modules) and an individual LFP cell (like LiFeTech). What do you use an individual cell for anyway, a torch ?? And if you trying to work out why choose Milbay over another brand perhaps maybe just a quick visit to our website may help.

Completion of the project to bring a modular LiFePO4 power storage solution to the Australian market is something all involved in the project are very proud of and along with our electric UTV were probably some of the great Australian driven innovations of 2015. A search of the internet will show Milbay are the first to develop a production UTV Side by side vehicle in this new battery class.

Milbay took the approach from an installers viewpoint - if I was a solar installer I would want to be sleeping in the knowledge that what ever battery storage system I was installing the system was the safest design possible.

So all are aware: The dismantling or deconstruction or construction of lithium ion batteries/battery cells or packs should only be carried out by trained personnel wearing the correct safety equipment.

Neale Gray

Manager

Milbay Australia

• MilbayAus
    edited January 2016 #14

@westbranch  Thanks for your question about low winter input.

Naturally we can only take advantage of the available sunlight but which ever way the system is considered a larger lead acid system can be replaced by a smaller size and capacity LiFePO4 battery storage module solution.
    Calculating the actual system required is also much easier due to the high charge and discharge cycle efficiency (about 97%) and the greater depth of discharge capabilities, with LiFePO4 generally discharged to 80% in a solar configuration whereas generally a 50% DOD is recommended for lead acid battery types. 

usage calculations are also much easier when working with Milbay LiFEPO4 storage modules, eg. 250w fridge will require 1kW power over 8 hours so a single 2.4KWh LiFePO4 storage module will run this 250W fridge for 16hrs but could also deliver enough power to run 16 x 250W fridges for one hour. The equivalent storage system required for SLA/FLA to run the 250W fridge for 16 hours would be about 4 kWh. DC transmission loses or inverter efficiency are not accounted for in this calculation as these are generally the same regardless of battery type used.

explanation:

Milbay 2.4kWh capacity LiFePO4 storage module will deliver 2.0 kW useable power at 80% DOD,

SLA/FLA 2.4kWh capacity will deliver 1.2KW useable power at 50% DOD. 

1.5kWh LiFePO4 to replace 2.4kWh SLA/FLA

or

60Ah LiFePO4 = same available capacity as 100Ah SLA/FLA

The physical size required for Milbay liFePO4 storage modules is about half that of SLA/FLA for the same rated capacity, if using a useable power calculation the area required becomes even smaller.

Milbay battery storage weight is less than one third that of SLA for the same capacity. Each Milbay 2.4kWh module is about 35kg

Milbay LiFePO4 storage modules have many advantages over SLA/FLA solutions including a higher charge and discharge rates.

The size of the storage can be further reduced in some configurations due to the fast recharge rate. LiFePO4 can recharge from 2x ~ 20x faster than lead acid solutions. Milbay LiFePO4 battery storage modules DO NOT produce gasing at higher recharge currents. Milbay LiFEPO4 storage modules incorporate intelligent overcharge protection.

On the $$ of SLA/FLA v LiFePO4 the LiFePO4 will generally prove significantly more cost effective,

a general cost formula

around 3 x upfront cost of SLA/FLA based on useable capacity

5~10 x the life expectancy of SLA/FLA, with SLA/FLA configuration you do not receive an intelligent battery management system, parallel redundancy or the superior discharge and recharge currents associated with Milbay Solar storage modules.

Milbay Australia invite further questions. link to Milbay 2.4kWh 48V solar storage module webpage http://www.milbay.com.au/Li/SolarHome 

Neale Gray

Milbay Australia

• Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Until the sponsor of this forum endorses your product, I’ll put these posts into the ‘free advertising’ circular file
  • softdown
    edited January 2016 #16
    I understand the skepticism. The reason that I would be inclined to make an exception is that the off grid solar industry has one gigantic achilles heel at this point in time....batteries. Batteries can be dangerously heavy and remarkedly short lived and temperamental. Even dangerous. For that reason I believe it is worthwhile to lend more interest, and a modicum of assistance, to Lithium battery storage technology.

I could have been killed moving my 1652 pound forklift battery. That is no exaggeration. Flipped it twice and had to jump one of those times. Fortunately I jumped in the right direction.

Aguarancher said:
    Until the sponsor of this forum endorses your product, I’ll put these posts into the ‘free advertising’ circular file

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Some people are just  an accident just waiting to happen. Have a whole basket of shoes here if you'd like to try any on...

• westbranch
    edited January 2016 #18

MilbayAus said:

@westbranch

On the $$ of SLA/FLA v LiFePO4 the LiFePO4 will generally prove significantly more cost effective,

a general cost formula

around 3 x upfront cost of SLA/FLA based on useable capacity

5~10 x the life expectancy of SLA/FLA,

Neale Gray

Milbay Australia

Thanks for the reply.  I am fairly well versed in LiFePO4 battery specs and performance, been watching them for 3 years now, .... will jump in soon. 
    My Point is that the capability of LiFePO4 to go to 20% SoC  vs 50% SoC with a SLA battery, is somewhat negated when you have to apply  a factor for NO SUN...  that is, how long, in # of days, will the bank provide power?  It is not that the bank will give one power for 1 day.

Current discussions about LiFe batteries and depletion amounts are suggesting the high depletion levels  can be exploited as you do not need to worry about not getting a full recharge as S/Fla  units need, just turn on the generator. 

Your comments  miss the whole point of planning a healthy system, which should be designed to 'weather' these periods, without damage or gen set use.  This means redundancy, redundancy, redundancy...

This winters PV input has been so low for so long that I am debating re-doing my calculations to use a 5 day factor vs the 3 day I originally used... ie. using a 10 -15% of capacity each day vs 15-20%

For my setup, using your ''bank yields 1 day of supply'' logic I would need to spend 6 to 9 times the $$ for an equivalent. 6x factors in a deeper DoD

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • MilbayAus

South East Queensland & Northern NSW Milbay Distributor is H&B Solar Tweed heads.

http://handbgroup.com.au/

H & B solar can assist with any quotes and installation of Milbay 2.4kWh 48V LiFePO4 solar battery storage modules.

• softdown
    This is my current understanding of the pros and cons of lithium batteries:
    1) Weigh ~1/4 as much while occupying much less space
    2) Last up to "20 years." That is the big question mark for many. This has not been demonstrated to my knowledge.
    3) More efficient at charging, and supplying current, due to less internal resistance. This would help the bank achieve the desired charge in sub-optimal conditions.
    4) Costs ~3 times as much. This is the achilles heel. This is the stumbling block that has kept many innovations from widespread acceptance.
    5) Battery rack can be "tailor made" to the needs of the user.
    6) Safer. This could be important to some users in some places.

For all of lead acids problems, it does have a proven track record. I suspect that lithium solar batteries will be highly competitive. There also remains a possibility that there will be unforeseen issues as well.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #21
    softdown said:
    <snip>
    How is Lithium technology safer?  There are many Lithium technologies, and they are not all safe (think Boeing Aircraft). 

As for LiFePO4, it's probably safer than some other Lithium technologies.  But I'm not really sure... how is LiFePO4 safer than Lead Acid (assuming it is safer)?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • softdown
    No off-gassing of potentially explosive fumes....that I am aware of. Lead acid batteries can explode and/or catch fire. The acid can damage eyes and, apparently, some peoples skin.

Boeing was using some new technology that was overcharging the batteries for awhile. I think lithium batteries can explode but may be less likely to do so.

I have used hundreds of lithium batteries in photography, videography, and power tools. They have always proven far superior to the rest. That includes NiMH batteries....which are not bad.

vtmaps said:
    softdown said:
    <snip>
    How is Lithium technology safer?  There are many Lithium technologies, and they are not all safe (think Boeing Aircraft). 

As for LiFePO4, it's probably safer than some other Lithium technologies.  But I'm not really sure... how is LiFePO4 safer than Lead Acid (assuming it is safer)?

--vtMaps

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #23
    I am ok with my grand experiment with them so far. I put $2,500 in them and GC-2's would have been $600 for 500 amp hrs @ 12v. I charge them to 90% and discharge them to around 40% ( conservative ), so I really don't think there is that much added capacity. A amp hr returned is the same amp hr no matter what the chemistry is until you reach absorb. The LiFePO4 require a absorb just like FLA, I charge to 8% of Capacity. I don't have to worry about the temperature being below 32° F, so charging is no problem.

I need to read the warranty offered by Milbay. If it's a flat 10 year and 80% capacity without a bunch of BS, at least you'd know the costs going in and it would be easy to amortize your fixed costs, they might be fine. Add a big array and use them to the max.

• MilbayAus
    edited January 2016 #24

@VTmaps

About LiFePO4 safety, unlike other Li chemistries LiFePO4 does not suffer from oxidation that leads to thermal runaway or exhaust a combustible gas like Hydrogen.

There are a lot of videos in the world but you will be lucky to find any that show extreme results from a LiFePO4 battery system failure.

The Milbay LiFePO4 battery storage module features Milbay's custom  Solar / Wind high quality BMS controller. If a module fails it shuts itself down, as there are no user or field service parts inside the storage module so any failures the modules are replaced as a complete unit.

Below is an example of the BMS and user LED output, there is also an LCD screen for more detailed information and settings.

Much more than just a LiFePO4 battery.

Milbay are unique with our 10 year capacity warranty which makes TCO and ROI calculations a breeze.

Ask your local Solar installer to contact Milbay or one of our distributors for more information about the Milbay 10 year capacity warranty or email sales@milbay.com.au

• PNjunction
    We are still the WRONG demographic to be peddling locked-down proprietary black box solutions to!

Most of us would choose the route where we can get PUBLICIZED technical information on all of the componentry, or a contact will be happy to do so.  No secrets.

Two common ones in australia can be found:

http://www.ev-power.com.au/
    and
    http://www.evworks.com.au/

Much of these large prismatics, even at the lowest end of the spectrum are perfect for our so called "sub-c" relatively low-current application, and can be operated and built simply and safely.

• MilbayAus
    @PNjunction  Milbay have a lot of licensing and development involved in our Battery storage modules to provide a complete solution for end users, some may decide to interconnect a bunch of batteries but will lack communication and safety management and charge balancing provided by the Milbay BMS, there would be little cost savings using a bunch of cells approach.
    Using a complete battery module solutions also allows for greater options when deciding on where to locate the power storage system as there is an almost unlimited choice of cabinets and sizes suitable for indoor and outdoor mounting solutions. Outdoor racks can have IP68 water ingress protection and heat exchanger or A/C cooling options. 

There are very big differences in the specifications of cells used in Milbay Electric vehicle LiFePO4 battery systems and Milbay Solar battery storage modules.
    With Milbay Lithium ion and LiFePO4 each battery system or pack is specifically customised to the application. Milbay Australia only supply complete battery systems customised to the application, Milbay Australia do not supply LiFePO4 or Lithium ion at a component/cell level to the general public. supplying a complete battery system ensures clients will have known outcomes and receive a warranty on their investment.

Milbay intelligent battery system have an ICT backbone and like all IT based interfaces a lot of work has been invested to ensure human interfaces are trouble free and easy which frees the user from unimportant and sometimes confusing technical aspects of the user experience.
  • WaterWheel
    WaterWheel Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

Milbay,        Due to the additional complexity of lithium based batteries with their computer chip regulated charging process I'm weary of the additional potential failure points of lithium vs lead acid.     While I love the potentially longer life with lower maintance your standard 3 yr warranty (optional 10 yr warranty)  scares me.        You need a solid " no questions asked" 10 yr warrenty to show your faith in their lasting 10+ (hopefully 20) years at 75% + energy capacity at 10 years.

It's not just the LFP technology you have to convince me about but also the electronics in the module.

The deeper discharge is great but since we can't always have good solar days we'd still need to oversize the battery bank.

To allow us to compare pricing "apples to apples" let's do a little pricing example.        Currently I'm running a 48v 400 amp/hr set of batteries which will last about 6-7 years and with shipping cost me $2480.       

I understand that you are looking for a US distributer, something that someone on this site may be able to assist you with.       Until then I have 2 questions.

How much would a similar power rated battery set (48v, 400 amp/hr) with a 10 year warranty cost in USD?

How much to ship (business delivery) to Atlanta GA?

Conext XW6848 with PDP, SCP, 80/600 controller, 60/150 controller and Conext battery monitor

21 SW280 panels on Schletter ground mount

48v Rolls 6CS 27P

• MilbayAus
    edited January 2016 #28
    @foolami Thanks for the question.
    Milbay manufacture and distribute the storage, the end user price is set at installer level as there are great number of ways that pricing will be calculated depending on which Australian state is the installation location as well as renewable certificates and subsidies considerations. So for Australian clients I would direct end users to contact their local solar installer and have the installer contact Milbay.
    On our Australian warranty, we guarantee capacity for the 10 year period. Capacity can be added or removed at any time during the installation lifecycle.

@foolamiYou are international (USA) so may I ask you to contact Milbay at solar@milbay.com.au and I will respond to your pricing questions privately.

To work out an equivalent LiFePO4 v SLA/FLA

Milbay 2.4kWh capacity LiFePO4 storage module will deliver 2.0 kW useable power at 80% DOD,
    SLA/FLA 2.4kWh capacity will deliver 1.2KW useable power at 50% DOD. 
    1.5kWh LiFePO4 to replace 2.4kWh SLA/FLA
    On this standard formula 250Ah 48V LIFePO4  = 400Ah SLA
    Without any other considerations it would be a decision between 4 modular units for 8kWh or 5 modular units for 10 kWh or 6 modular units for 12 kWh usable power. 
    8 - 10 kWh is generally sufficient for a larger suburban home. So if you are living with frugal electricity use on your current storage system then in all likely hood the actual storage system equal to your current SLA/FLA will be significantly smaller than the calculations suggest.
    The fast charge rate of Milbay LiFePO4 storage modules has a big impact on the actual storage system capacity required to meet household and business power requirements.
    The expected life of Milbay Power storage modules is 15 to 20 years and power savings are massive in the outlying years beyond the 10 year capacity guarantee which allows for TCO and ROI calculations to be under taken by commercial as well as household users.
    There is an enormous benefit for those who convert to Milbay LiFePO4 battery storage modules over other storage systems as when capacity does eventually drop (15 - 20 years say around 50% original capacity) the whole battery storage system is not replaced, extra capacity through individually adding new battery storage modules as our system is parallel connected not a series, the saving for the clients will be overwhelming in comparison to grid supplied power. Capacity adding feature is a capability of the Milbay Battery Management System inside each Milbay LiFePO4 battery storage module.
    The rate of capacity loss for Milbay power storage modules is linear, the storage capacity falls away gradually unlike other battery technologies. Milbay use a conservative loss of 20% capacity over 10 years.

• softdown
    Have recently done some reading on Tesla's development of solar batteries. The news came out last week in fact. The batteries are initially offered in one location, I forget the exact location.

Tesla has a strong reputation in the USA. Will likely prove to be formidable competition.

If interested, I can find a link to a substantial internet debate on this development.

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall
  • MilbayAus
    edited January 2016 #30
    @softdown  Maybe what has not yet been understood is the very big difference in safety between Lithium Ion 18650 based battery storage and a High tech LifePO4 design such as the Milbay power storage modules.

Milbay supply many Lithium Ion battery systems however we could never consider Lithium Ion as suitable for household storage due to the intrinsic safety risks posed by Lithium Ion 18650 cell technology, great leaps have been made in management but the intrinsic risk remains. Solar storage battery systems will remain in service for over 10 years whilst most current application for Lithium Ion focus on a sorter 3 year product life cycle.

Milbay and our manufacturer partners consider we are delivering a far superior solar/wind battery storage system than companies developing the older less safe Lithium Ion 18650 based technologies.

Milbay Australia have a completed solar storage solution that is safe to be installed in millions of households across the world right now, yes some companies receive an unusual amount of media attention however media attention alone will not deliver the best or any product to the market. Tesla for instance receives huge media coverage for their electric vehicles but the reality is Tesla is not a leader in the electric vehicle market place for sales or technological development. In battery storage and cell production Tesla have no production however from media reports you would think tesla are actually manufacturing a product. Move past the headlines and the true reality will begin to appear.

The world reality is the Chinese manufacturers have stolen the show on renewable battery technologies having made huge investments and commercialisation of LiFePO4 many years ago and are the clear leaders in both quality and volume of LiFePO4 production in the world. Many seem to have the impression LiFePO4 is an emerging technology but the fact is high quality LiFePO4 power storage has been in service for many years, the results from infield application is the reason why the life expectancy for LiFePO4 continues to be extended.

Milbay chose to develop within China because the Chinese lead the world for LiFePO4 development and investment.

Safety : In addition to the high quality Intelligent Battery Management System Milbay LiFePO4 integrate into the 2.4kWh storage modules to provide a human interface and system protections the design and chemistry of Milbay LiFePO4 cells means the cells cannot explode, catch fire or suffer thermal overrun which is the major concern for wide spread introduction of Lithium Ion based storage systems.

Milbay Australia concluded that any battery storage system that would be delivered and installed into Australian households needed to meet the highest safety criteria in that in worst case scenarios such as flood or other household disaster the system would shut down, fail to operate and require replacement as part of the disaster recovery rather than become an additional potential risk during the disaster. Milbay LiFePO4 meets this high safety criteria where as Milbay considered Lithium Ion failed because the risk potential remained.

I invite any further questions.

Neale Gray
    Milbay Australia

• westbranch
    Are your units TOP or BOTTOM  balanced?  and why did you choose that balancing method over the other?

This discussion has been closed.