Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    This all new stuff is a mandate from
    Say WHAT? Never thought about that option!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    At this point it feels like the site has lost the support of Mark, just hope they get is fixed soon..
    I am still around, however at this time there isn't much else I can offer. I have the site running about as well as I can.

I'll deploy the next upgrade when it is released, it isn't major changes though, it's a maintenance release.
  • vBulletin Support
    CDN_VT wrote: »

As I said on page three of this thread
    This all new stuff is a mandate from

I'm really not sure what you mean by "Still a mess after weeks , to hard to read".
    What exactly is a mess? The posts are formatted perfectly clearly.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I think he was joking about the USA's NSA (National Security Agency) and CIA making requirements for back doors/regulation of the Internet and various computer backdoors.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vBulletin Support
    BB. wrote: »
    I think he was joking about the USA's NSA (National Security Agency) and CIA making requirements for back doors/regulation of the Internet and various computer backdoors.

-Bill

Ah, fair enough...went over my head a bit that one, I confess. :)
  • vBulletin Support
    Saying the next release isn't major changes, actually, it is, in terms of the notification system has been extensively rewritten, to be more efficient and to fix some known issues with it.
    However, in terms of cosmetic appearance and functionality, it's not really noticeable, it's back-end stuff.
  • BB.
    I think there was more to the original post (from what I recall)--But he (or the NSA) edited a bit later.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vBulletin Support
    I think there was more to the original post (from what I recall)--But he (or the NSA) edited a bit later.

-Bill

If you have the relevant permissions, you can see it by clicking "Last edited by" under the post (it's a link if you have permissions, though it won't look like one), and then "Compare versions".
    Red is what was removed, green is what was added.
  • BB.
    Yes--But (from what I have seen before in older releases) if the changes are made within something like 10 minutes or less, there are no change logs generated (at least accessible logs for me).

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support
    I think that is the case based on a setting in the admincp - however, in this case, there definitely is a changelog visible.
  • sdKev
    sdKev Registered Users Posts: 11
    Yikes..it seems we’re not alone out there. It appears that what once was a trusted and respected company has fallen from grace since being acquired by IB
    A world class Porsche site that I spend time at used to be a Mom&Pop thing until it was bought by IB... many painful days ensued, often IB caught a rash of poop for being inattentive.

A simple question.. How do I create a sig line? User control panel?
  • BB.
    It is not really obvious... But Go to User Settings / Account, then search for Edit Signature and click the link...

Here is a link to the User Settings/Account page:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/settings/account

Visible Post Elements Show Signatures
    Show Avatar
    Edit Post Signature

If you click on Edit Post Signature, it should give you a pop-up window.

Note, if you make the signature too long, you may get a strange error message--Try shortening the signature if it happens.

-Bill
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Is there anyway to retrieve all the attachments from the old forum User accounts ??

This just become a good place to stay away from, looks like others are doing the same. I never thought dealing with Sunking would be a better option.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought dealing with Sunking would be a better option.

Admins, Moderators and Owners take note! This is getting serious!

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    No way that I have seen to get attachments downloaded in bulk.

I am very sorry about the present state of the software--And other than the next bug release, I don't have solutions. At this point, I have not heard of any software that can convert the present software database to another forum software. NAWS does not want to lose the history either.

-Bill
  • Photowhit
    No reverting back to the earlier software? Or was it getting to ugly on the admin side?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    If you read the reviews--I guess many people are staying with old releases and not upgrading. There were some security issues (we had a minor hack/hijacking once a couple years ago--but no damage). So, increased security was probably a concern.

I don't think anyone was expecting the issues we saw (at least from the user side).

-Bill
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...... don't think anyone was expecting the issues we saw (at least from the user side).-Bill

Nobody expects the Inquisition.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    This issue may have been noted before, but

Looked for "my" photo album, which had been created a few years ago, and with this whizzy new Updated VBulletin software, it seems gone.
    Went looking for a couple of images from that album in the "show me yours..." Thread, and some images are shown as actual photos, and many others sow as a link to an image:
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum/solar-electric-power-wind-power-balance-of-system/off-grid-solar-battery-systems/9922-show-me-yours-and-i-ll-show-you-mine

It would be nice to see the images, not filenames while quickly scrolling the Show Me section (for example), as file names scrolling by are not as attention-getting as are real images, or is it just my lack of processing power, between the ears?

Tried posting some images today, and they are postage-stamp sized about 8 K, or so -- uselessly small. Is this because the image size was too large when I uploaded it?? OR??

Just curious ... Thanks, FWIW, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit
    Yeah, I miss the stored images, I was just learning how to find and post a previously posted image...

My images have been showing up as pictures rather than thumbnails, though perhaps it is because I resize them before posting?
  • westbranch
    I miss the ability to go into a sub forum, ie RSS feeds, and then mark it 'read' , no such tool anymore...?? it allowed one to read the titles and then get rid of them...:cry::cry::cry:

I also miss the easy system that got you to your Avatar ans sig linie to update / change... NO CAN FIND>>>> :grr:grr ???

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Photowhit
    It's complicated enough that I had to open another window to type this out!

click on your name in the upper right hand corner, then
    >Choose 'My Profile", then
    >on the left hand side click 'edit settings', then
    > look at the top of the profile section, there are 4 tab setting Profile, Account, privacy, notifications. Choose Account
    > about half way down on this tab there is a heading "Conversation Detail Options" and under that a link to your signature....

For the record every single place you have to look for a link is in a different place... designed by really wacko people... in my personal opinion, and I'm being nice!

Now if you would like to help me with Windoz 8... I'll be cleaning it up for the rest of my life! I think Microsoft decided to get a penny from every one wanting to give you a 'free trial'......
  • westbranch
    Thanks PW, I must be colour blind as I missed that 'pale blue' text so many times I don't want to remember...
    Photowhit wrote: »
    >Choose 'My Profile", then
    >on the left hand side click 'edit settings', then
    > look at the top of the profile section, there are 4 tab setting Profile, Account, privacy, notifications. Choose Account
    > about half way down on this tab there is a heading "Conversation Detail Options" and under that a link to your signature....

Photowhit wrote: »
    Now if you would like to help me with Windoz 8..

OMG... :confused: :grr :cry::cry: W8

I have enough trouble with W7, this is a friendly XP machine and as long as they keep sending out updates (the ones they were going to stop last year...??...) I am sitting tight...8)

and then there is that dreaded W8 RT used on my wife's MS Surface, cripes I can't even get the touch screen to work... and you can only get apps from the MS store... worse than Apple

• BB.
    The only "Marked Read" I know of... On this page:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/ (forum main page)

There is a "Mark Forums Read" button just above the forum lists on the right. Pushing this will mark all new posts as "Read" (as far as I know).

-Bill
  • JoshK
    JoshK Solar Expert Posts: 232 ✭✭
    How do you sign the posts with the stuff below the line? I haven't found that setting.
  • Photowhit
    JoshK wrote: »
    How do you sign the posts with the stuff below the line? I haven't found that setting.

It's called a signature, that's what we were just discussing;

> Choose 'My Profile", then
    > on the left hand side click 'edit settings', then

For the record every single place you have to look for a link is in a different place... designed by really wacko people... in my personal opinion, and I'm being nice!
  • JoshK
    Found it, thanks Photowhit.
  • JoshK
    I would recommend the free forum software "Discourse". It is great all around. The best part is you never need the refresh button. Many users can have a live discussion right on a page. The new posts are pushed out just like a messaging program. None of this post and then push refresh 50 times crap.
    It makes a very vibrant community.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    techntrek wrote: »
    Ouch, lots of raw reviews in that link.
    and every one deserved . A large step backwards was taken with this "update" Sort of like XP-Vista debacle.
    There is a "Mark Forums Read" button just above the forum lists on the right. Pushing this will mark all new posts as "Read"
    well, that's a bit better, saves some of the pain to scroll 3/4 down to hit the READ button.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• JoshK
    In case I was too neutral before... this forum software (vBulletin?) is terrible, horrible, ugly, frustrating, and OUTDATED. I can't stand it. Discourse.org is FREE and AWESOME.
This discussion has been closed.