Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those were made sufficiently far apart that the software wouldn't pick it up, and they had different thread titles. The people posting them have made them twice for whatever reason.
    The flood check is set to 30 seconds, so anything posted further apart than that, won't get flagged up and blocked.

I disagree. I was trying to post a reply, and kept getting an error message. A few minutes later, it looked like each (4 or 5 of them) reply attempt was accepted, but an error message popup still popped up.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Everyone,

I think I have gotten rid of the duplicates and split threads from last night... If you find anything I still need to fix, let me know.

And many thanks to Mark from VBulletin for his help. It would have been crazy(ier) without him.

-Bill "Moderator" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »

I disagree. I was trying to post a reply, and kept getting an error message. A few minutes later, it looked like each (4 or 5 of them) reply attempt was accepted, but an error message popup still popped up.

Would need to know what the error message was.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple questions about the forum mail,

Are we still limited to 50 total? I like to maintain conversations and have had as may as 20 messages on one thread back and forth. Also Like to keep messages that have links or sent items, like info on Pulse PC250 and older panels....

I had forum member Zakarume send me a message and it went to "Notifications" rather than my inbox? not sure why that's happening?

Also I seem to have a harder time with having 2 windows open from the forum, Like when referencing another thread so I can cut and paste, or when I opened my 'messages' link to remind me what I had questions about just now... Every thing came up garbled, then it wouldn't refresh, once it refreshed I came back to this screen and had an error message, likely couldn't update the message being written.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vBulletin Support
    Having more than one tab / window open shouldn't cause any problems. I would clear browser cookies / cache and restart the browser.

Private Messages - any limits still apply, those are controlled by the site owners and will have been retained in the upgrade.

A new message will appear as a notification at the top (a red box with a number in it), when you get one of those, click the Messages link which will take you to the new Message Centre. If it's a Private Message you will see a preview of it there, you should then click on Inbox where you can view the message in full (or click the link in the preview).
    Other notifications may also appear there, such as replies to subscribed threads, new "Likes", etc. At the moment those type of notifications have to be manually deleted once you've read the thread.

Some improvements are coming in the way notifications are handled, these are in the next release (5.1.6) which isn't far off now. This will included notifications being automatically "dismissed" once you've read the thread they relate to (as is currently the case with private Messages). The changes will also improve overall site performance. This release is probably about a month away, roughly.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having more than one tab / window open shouldn't cause any problems. I would clear browser cookies / cache and restart the browser.

Private Messages - any limits still apply, those are controlled by the site owners and will have been retained in the upgrade.

A new message will appear as a notification at the top (a red box with a number in it), when you get one of those, click the Messages link which will take you to the new Message Centre. If it's a Private Message you will see a preview of it there, you should then click on Inbox where you can view the message in full (or click the link in the preview).
    Other notifications may also appear there, such as replies to subscribed threads, new "Likes", etc. At the moment those type of notifications have to be manually deleted once you've read the thread.

Some improvements are coming in the way notifications are handled, these are in the next release (5.1.6) which isn't far off now. This will included notifications being automatically "dismissed" once you've read the thread they relate to (as is currently the case with private Messages). The changes will also improve overall site performance. This release is probably about a month away, roughly.

So I noticed I had a new message,

I go to the Message center,

The new message is in a notifications heading and not in Inbox.

Why?

Also, though I went to the notification and even replied to the message, It hasn't cleared or set back the number.

Why?

Will there be a warning bar or some such warning that my message box is full? There use to be...

Will messages in the notification category count against the message count?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed the link for our forum sponsor at the top of the page is now labeled ”navbar_home1” might want to change it to something more descriptive such as “Host”?
  • BB.
    Rick from NAWS has upped the PM message count to 150.

Hope that helps.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vBulletin Support
    Just noticed the link for our forum sponsor at the top of the page is now labeled ”navbar_home1” might want to change it to something more descriptive such as “Host”?

I fixed that. Not sure why it changed.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    The forum does seem much slower to me then it used to.
    gww
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I like the background color in the posted messages. Any links, always in blue, show up much better than in forums with a blue motif. 8)

As for speed, it does seem to take longer for the initial page load, but after that it seems to vary with what I'm doing. Maybe "my" connection? :confused:
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • vBulletin Support
    Not sure on speed...I find it pretty fast to be honest, and I'm in the UK so there would normally be a small lag for the distance involved.
  • BB.
    "Today's Posts" is much faster (cpu time) vs "New Posts". Something like 0.008 seconds vs 1.8 seconds.

Perhaps a search optimization for "New Posts" is possible.

-Bill
  • vBulletin Support
    "New Posts" is always a bit slower because it's working off read/unread (which could go back some time) rather than just 24 hours.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    The www.nikoncafe.com ((( I included the www. since we are the only site left on the web that requires it, some odd flaw from years ago ))) did a V bulletin upgrade about 2 years ago, it went very smoothly, other than the change factor for some folks, but that version looks and acts nothing like this version, it has the read/connected threads icon. Thankfully I do not see another update in the future. I guess I am just wondering why this version was chosen. Being an infrequent member it is no real problem to me, I will learn it, I just need to work out the PM system so it is private. :)
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Couple of things...
    1 just noticed I went from 'some old guy' to 'new guy' under my user name. hey, I feel young again , or do I ?? some old Guy
    2 when i went and clicked on the title of this thread I had a little box pop up saying ERROR and that disappeared and the thread opened???

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vBulletin Support
    solorone wrote: »
    The www.nikoncafe.com ((( I included the www. since we are the only site left on the web that requires it, some odd flaw from years ago ))) did a V bulletin upgrade about 2 years ago, it went very smoothly, other than the change factor for some folks, but that version looks and acts nothing like this version, it has the read/connected threads icon. Thankfully I do not see another update in the future. I guess I am just wondering why this version was chosen. Being an infrequent member it is no real problem to me, I will learn it, I just need to work out the PM system so it is private. :)
    That site isn't using vBulletin
    westbranch wrote: »
    Couple of things...
    1 just noticed I went from 'some old guy' to 'new guy' under my user name. hey, I feel young again , or do I ?? some old Guy
    2 when i went and clicked on the title of this thread I had a little box pop up saying ERROR and that disappeared and the thread opened???
    Post counts were re-counted so if the total changed it may have changed your rank.
    that ERROR is just the thread preview trying to load but getting stopped in its tracked as you click on it.
  • solorone
    That site isn't using vBulletin

Post counts were re-counted so if the total changed it may have changed your rank.
    that ERROR is just the thread preview trying to load but getting stopped in its tracked as you click on it.

Well I was not corrected when I refrenced V B in a PM to a mod, plus why is your ID Vbulletin Support ? very confusing ;<)
  • BB.
    Solorone,

I am not sure I understand your question... Mark is actually an employee of VBulletin (however their corporate stuff works) who was asked by NAWS to help us with the upgrade.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Title of this thread should be "Forum upgrade is a failure".
    Just look at the amount of discussion about problems with it, and this thread doesn't even cover them all.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    When I try to see if there are any responses to my previous posts, I use the "My Recent Posts" menu item. It still does not sort properly.

See attached screenshot
    Attachment not found.
    --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • solorone
    BB. wrote: »
    Solorone,

I am not sure I understand your question... Mark is actually an employee of VBulletin (however their corporate stuff works) who was asked by NAWS to help us with the upgrade.

-Bill
    No question there. I was just stating my reason for my confusion. I do not wish to muddy the water here or add anymore efforts those working here, so I will step away, unless I have a software issue that needs sharing. I will add that now my Explorer spell check has stopped working.

• BB.
    Solorone,

No concerns on my part... I just wanted to make sure "we" understand any issues you have with the forum/forum software--Now is the time to get them fixed (those that can be fixed at this time).

-Bill
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Have asked these two questions previously here, but have not noticed a reply. Perhaps I just missed it;

1. In the previous version of the Forum software there was the ability to omit one's Signature on any post that the poster chose. Cannot find this ability now, just the global No Sig option, which is not useful to me. Where is this useful option hiding?

2. All of the other Forums that I visit note just who has been on the Site in the previous N-minutes, and, usually, also, the total number of Members and Guests on the Site at the moment one navigates to a Site like this. This is actually useful information. Could, possibly see that the total number of users on at any one time MIGHT make a busy site like this more of a target for Spammers (or something) ... wonder why this info is no longer shown.

Thanks, am just a guest here, and know that it is impolite to carp about a venue/food/wine, when one is only a guest, but bet that many of are simply trying to understand just what was the main motivation in making such striking changes to this Forum, which previously did work better for the users than any other site that I visit (?).

Thanks, VIc (please omit my Sig in this post, as it is not material, and has appeared previously in this Thread -- just kidding).
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Vic,

As far as I know, per post signature control is gone. Just global.

To see who is on the forum in the last two hours, go to the bottom of the Forum page.

What's Going On
    Collapse

There are currently 627 users online. 26 members and 601 guests.

BB.,
    Vic,
    Mountain Don,
    Hairfarm,
    inMichigan,
    AuricTech,
    Blackcherry04,
    H2SO4_guy,
    sdold,
    retep,
    ramloui,
    solar_dave,
    jberg85,
    DJdave

Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind and Sun Statistics
    Collapse
    Topics: 19,224 Posts: 201,845 Members: 6,647 Active Members: 362
    Welcome to our newest member, laxmanaz.
  • Vic
    OK, Thanks Bill for those two answers. Nice that we are still able to see who is on the site. Thanks for all of your, and vBulletin Mark's hard work. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Vic
    OK, Bill, just went to the bottom of the main Forum page, and see nothing relating to "What's Going On"

But, I have not changed the address to the new Forum from the Favorite address used for the previous SW version.

However, when going to the top of that old Favorite beginning page served by the old Fav address (and showing what appears to be a new SW version), and press " Home ", then at the bottom of that slightly different page, there always seems to appear the Who has been on-line list. Believe that this issue has been noted previously in this Thread, but I did not comprehend the significance of what was being said.

Will play more, Thanks again, Vic
  • BB.
    Functional urls (new posts, today posts, etc) are not the same as the old software.

Links to posts and threads should work in the upgraded forum software.

-Bill
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    From the main page, the forum index page.... a scree shot.... Attachment not found.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    Note there may be a "+" in the red bars. ... if you do not see the information, click on the + to unhide the data.

-Bill
This discussion has been closed.