Forum upgrade is complete...

Comments

• Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    So, I have read all 273 posts in this thread, and did not find any mention of old threads being deleted. I don't know if you guys remember my solar shed project, or my small stand alone solar project, but I cannot seem to find it anymore. . . when I go into my login area, and display posts, nothing comes up - checked all 20 pages in the forum, not there.

I posted this problem over in the general solar area but then read this thread. . .
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • Aguarancher
    Aguarancher Solar Expert Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Skippy, I asked the same question where the approx. 200 missing posts went and this is the reply I got:
    Originally posted by Aguarancher View Post
    On viewing the forum after the update, the first thing I noticed was that the “Topics” count is less than it was and “Posts” was at almost 201,00 and is now at 199,00. Did we lose content?
    No content lost, it's just the old figure counted every single post, regardless of whether it was visible or not.

The total now excludes such things as - deleted posts (which are generally just hidden, rather than actually deleted), posts in private forums, etc. Mark
    vBulletin Support
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    From what I saw, the old forum would not decrement if there where deleted posts/threads (99.999% spammers).

Skippy, is any of these threads you started the one you are looking for? These are all the threads started by you (that I could find using the forum search):

Old posts deleted ? Were did I go ?
    Started by Skippy, March 1st, 2015, 13:07 in General Solar Power Topics

Do I need too upgrade my panel ?
    Started by Skippy, October 26th, 2014, 11:34 in PV Installers Forum - NEC, Wiring, Installation

Rocket Mass Heater Build.
    Started by Skippy, August 30th, 2014, 16:29 in Energy Use & Conservation

battery labels and amp hours.
    Started by Skippy, January 1st, 2014, 16:45 in Solar Beginners Corner

in the dark and wanting too buy
    Started by Skippy, April 14th, 2013, 14:37 in Solar Beginners Corner

heat pump. 1 ton or 3 ton
    Started by Skippy, February 24th, 2013, 9:55 in Energy Use & Conservation

mega toaster oven. . . experiment . . .
    Started by Skippy, February 16th, 2013, 13:16 in Energy Use & Conservation

Ready ! - Aim ! - ...
    Started by Skippy, January 26th, 2013, 13:11 in Solar Beginners Corner

Solar to run a fridge.
    Started by Skippy, October 21st, 2012, 13:03 in Solar Beginners Corner

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Just tried to Flag a SPAM Post in the Beginner's Topic.

Keep getting, "Invalid node id specified." Advisory Message.

Is this Pre-Alpha Software really worth the Mod's and every one else's Debug time, I wonder ... (?) FWIW, Thanks!, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    I think I deleted the post/user about the same time you tried to flag.

Error messages can be a bit more descriptive.

I believe we will see a dot upgrade in a month or two.

I hope they fix all the strangeness/bugs in the moderator stuff too.

I think the forum software for members is about 90% there. Mark from VB was spending much of his own time supporting us during the upgrade. I cannot thank him enough for his efforts to get the software usable for us.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for all that you do.

The previous version of the Forum software, felt comfortable, and welcoming.

Somehow, have a Divorced feeling now -- things seem unsettled. But we all are just guests here, so if I do not like it, need not come here.

Thanks for deleting that post. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    Things are quieting done now. I will finish up on trying a couple new sib forums.

We want people to enjoy being here. The posts are all made by volunteers. Don't want to drive our friends away.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill, I too find things a bit , unsettled. I just looked at this link and there may be something here http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html that has to do with the issue... look at Blue... the old forum colour....

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vBulletin Support
    vBulletin Support Administrators, Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭
    If the blue is wrong, you can blame me for that. I tried to match it to the main site. It can be changed quite easily if required.
  • westbranch
    Hi Mark, it is more of the whole page colouring, since I am only remembering, not seeing. The new banner is similar but the golden side bar and the bright yellow with the red divider are sore to old eyes..
    Old forum was calm and did not lend itself to rants, well not too often, and IMHO attracted a group that was knowledgeable and polite, a lot of science background types and others who are off grid.
    I would liken the old setup to the MidNIte forum for ''feel' when you look at it http://midnitesolar.com/Forum/index.php?action=unread.... there is something to the whole colour scheme of this forum now that is a bit unsettling, just my thoughts...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • BB.
    Mark,

You may change the forum colors to "Midnite's scheme"... I would greatly appreciate it. People seem to like the old color scheme better.

-Bill "no color sense" B.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I don't mind the colors at all. Colors would be the bottom item on my to-do list. I actually like the colors being "different" from the usual run of assorted shades of blue found on many forums, as there is no doubt where I am when I see the "peachy" colors. :D
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    I cannot win for losing.

-Bill :cry:
  • Mountain Don
    Sorry Bill..... What it looks like doesn't really matter as much as how it works.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • BB.
    It's OK... Just trying to help.

-Bill
  • westbranch
    NOT finished yet.. see this post, I have made 2 responses as the first one did not show, neither does the second...http://forum.solar-electric.com/special/albums/333265-the-build

• BB.
    I think that is a photo album. Not sure albums work at all (at least not for me).

Add to the list.

-Bill
  • Aguarancher
    The system upgrade of a website should maintain all the elements and functionality of its predecessor and enhance the websites user function. This supposed upgrade has done neither.

Every time the site loads on my computer, I feel like its kiddy time with the red and yellow graphics.

I belong to other forums that have in the past become so frustrated with the vBulletin® format that they have abandoned it all together for a different software package.

At this point it feels like the site has lost the support of Mark, just hope they get is fixed soon..
  • BB.
    David from NAWS has been working with Mark/VB to figure out the next step... Try and fix this one, or upgrade to the next release. I do not know any of the details.

I have asked Mark to revert back to some sort of blue theme... But, others here seem to like this one--I don't really know any better answers...

-Bill
  • Aguarancher
    While this site is for the knowledge and help of the forum members, it also has an element of enhanced sales for the forum sponsor. Just a guess on my part, but I venture that traffic is down both on sales and this site?

Bill, both you and NAWS are in no way responsible, as it All falls on vBulletins shoulders. They should either fix it or revert to the previous format we were happy with.
  • BB.
    David is very committed to keeping the forum going and well supported.

If anyone has a competing forum software they like, I can forward to David for his consideration.

I agree that how the forum is running today--Is not acceptable. It is barely limping along right now regarding, what should be, basic functionality. The other stuff (albums, mobile/small format screen display, moderator functions, linking/pictures, etc.) have even more issues.

-Bill
  • Mountain Don
    BB. wrote: »
    If anyone has a competing forum software they like, I can forward to David for his consideration.

I like http://www.simplemachines.org/SMF. I have been an admin on a forum that has used SMF for 9 years now.

SMF is free software. Therefore there is no paid for support, but they have a great forum for obtaining help. We have had very few issues with it, even when we changed from one version to a later version. It does require some learning by the admins or mods. I would be willing to "talk shop" with anyone who wants to. There are dozens if not hundreds of addons to customize the software. I do prefer to use very few mods though as updates to the base software do not always get along with all the mods.

EDIT: SMF is the software Midnite runs. The forum I help run is at http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's neither an upgrade, nor complete. as evidenced by all the posts here. I'd second a motion to revert to the old software, even if it meant loosing this months worth of posts.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    We've been using Web Wiz for 5+ years now: http://www.rpod-owners.com/
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • BB.
    Thank you Teckntrek.

-Bill
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    I agree that how the forum is running today--Is not acceptable. It is barely limping along right now regarding, what should be, basic functionality. The other stuff (albums, mobile/small format screen display, moderator functions, linking/pictures, etc.) have even more issues.

Thank you Bill for sticking with it, I had hoped things would get worked out, but just too many odd problems/issues, I even like that support stuck with it for a while, just not particularly functional. I've been on the Midnite forum and actually thought it was the same software as our old version, though found a few differences but never the grind that I've felt here lately. Heck I was just trying to send you a note of encouragement a week or so ago and couldn't figure out how to send a PM.

I'm no longer on many forums(fora) other than here or Midnite, I'll check out the Billiard and cycling forums, of my past, and see if there is anything that stands out....

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

I like http://www.simplemachines.org/SMF. I have been an admin on a forum that has used SMF for 9 years now.

SMF is free software. Therefore there is no paid for support, but they have a great forum for obtaining help. We have had very few issues with it, even when we changed from one version to a later version. It does require some learning by the admins or mods. I would be willing to "talk shop" with anyone who wants to. There are dozens if not hundreds of addons to customize the software. I do prefer to use very few mods though as updates to the base software do not always get along with all the mods.

EDIT: SMF is the software Midnite runs. The forum I help run is at http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php

Another vote for SMF. One of my favorite features is that when you hit the "Post" button after writing a reply, if there has been another post while you were writing, it warns you and lets you read it before posting your reply.

--vtMaps

4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Aguarancher
    Yikes..it seems we’re not alone out there. It appears that what once was a trusted and respected company has fallen from grace since being acquired by IB

“"The support team seems to be working hard to try and help, but they do not appear to be supported by the programmers, so any issue that has any type of complexity to it, will not be solved. At least that has been my experience”"

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vbulletin.com
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Ouch, lots of raw reviews in that link.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    The system upgrade of a website should maintain all the elements and functionality of its predecessor and enhance the websites user function. This supposed upgrade has done neither.

Every time the site loads on my computer, I feel like its kiddy time with the red and yellow graphics.

I belong to other forums that have in the past become so frustrated with the vBulletin® format that they have abandoned it all together for a different software package.

At this point it feels like the site has lost the support of Mark, just hope they get is fixed soon..

As I said on page three of this thread
    This all new stuff is a mandate from
This discussion has been closed.