Finally the Texas setup..

ywhic
ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
Okay.. Made it to Texas after 3 vapor locks on the way from NJ/PA.. had to switch things up and drive at night..

The layout just installed.. DC/Solar on left.. then the Transfer switch.. then the A/C side..

4ga wire down to the buss-bar.. 2ga to the batteries (2 ft).. 3/0 to the Xantrex SW2000..

Layout.jpg

Got 4 (145w) panels up (in pairs for 24/37v configuration) and concreted to the ground.. and 26' angle per where I am at.

panels.jpg

I got these readings.. I spiked at 450-460 per my sons readings. though no pictures..

I set 2 hour absorb and 3 hours max on the Midnite Classic.

Using 2 of the Energizer GC2's from Sams Club 220ah bank.. Nothing running hot..

Readings.jpg

It runs my new 3.3 cu ft fridge ease.. a box fan.. the Shurflo 4088 (110v water pump) and 13w CFL with ease...

Suggestions or tips welcome..

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Finally the Texas setup..

Al, can you describe just where Due S falls , in relation to the direction of your 2 sets (arrays?) of panels , as I see them at slightly different bearings.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ywhic

The above picture of the panels were before they were bolted down and aligned.. getting sun from say 10am-4pm easily..

Granted this is July 23rd.. and not June 21st to get true South..

Doing 2 days at cabin and then 1 night at a motel for relief and cleaning/laundry.. (LoL)

Plus my 11 yo son and my sister are here with me till Aug 1st.. and my son NEEDS Wi-Fi.. (haha)
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you made the trip safely, Hope you enjoy your new place!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

I'm sorry it is off topic.

Is there any water out there? Are you going to drill a well?
  • ywhic
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    I'm sorry it is off topic.

Is there any water out there? Are you going to drill a well?

Got a creek-bed (currently raining alot as of last week)..

Got 3 containers that hold 6 gals each at the moment.. bringing a case of bottled water out to property every trip.

I did install a pedastool sink already so I got water to wash up with.. soon to do shower stall..

Pump from the stream possibly soon.. I did buy a 3 stage under sink filter system in case I go that route..
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Al,

Glad you made it, and are making power.

Am sure that you have considered collecting rain water from your roof. Initially you could use a garbage can for storage. 55 Gal plastic drums are often available for little money.

Keep us informed, and have fun, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Photowhit

In a temporary mode, I'd look into the 55gal barrels as Vic said. be sure they are "food grade" often they will have a knife and fork on them, or if you can read the contents label and they held food stuffs. Craigslist is a good place to find these, while searching just put in "food grade" that should also help find 2,4,5, gallon buckets, as well as 30 and 55 gallon barrels.

For drinking water, a 2 bucket filter system with a monolith(or ceramic type) filter is good insurance that you will be drinking potable water. They filter down to 2 microns and since we don't have a huge problem with viruses this will give you potable water in most of the USA. I bought one since it's cheaper and seriously better than a Brita water filter. The charcoal only lasts 6-9 months but it should filter down to the specs until it becomes broken or worn through (they say 2 years) This is simple maintenance, once a month clean the pre-filter and take a scotch pad to the filter lightly. Look for 2 bucket system. Buckets can often be had for free from bakeries and restaurants, or for a couple dollars each off of craigslist.

If you have a problem with viruses in the ground water you might look at the Sawyer membrane type water filters They filter down to .1 or .2 microns and filter out known viruses, they do take a bit more maintenance, back flushing after every use.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

They ship vinegar in them too... white (opaque) barrels.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ywhic

Well in the last few days of testing the setup we managed peaks of like 462 watts and 35.2 amps into the battery bank.

I'm using the Legacy feature and 20% and 2 min intervals for my settings.. We've been hitting 95' out here and the thermometer has been been reading 110'f in the direct sun.

116w per panel (which are 145w rated).. I'm pretty happy with a 79% of rated..

Midnite.jpg

We did the rear wall and the right wall that get most of the HOT sun with insulation as well.

Insulation.jpg
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

We keep our washing water in a plastic trash can . We fill from a shallow well and pump . Just a old school wash basin and pitcher in the bath . Looks like your system is working great.
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • ywhic

Doing ok.. not enough battery to run fridge and fan all night..

Can't wait to grab other 2 of them to be at 440ah on Thursday.. :)

Hitting 110 in direct sun outside.. the bldg is pretty hot.. but everything running ok other wise..

Suggestions for a simple/cheap/quick suggestion for lightning rod install needed.. had storm last night and had to shut it all down to avoid possible lightening..

Panels at 9am..

panels2.jpg

View of sun at 9am.. getting amps starting at like 8:30 am.. and just goes up and up.. finally comes down to below 100 watts at like 5:30..

SunUp.jpg
  • Photowhit
    ywhic wrote: »
    ...not enough battery to run fridge and fan all night...

Kinda surprised, I take it is a modern mini fridge? Not a fridge only type with a thermo electric cooler? New or is it used? I guess it must be the hot temps. I don't even think about my fridge being much of a draw on a 24v 4 - 6v golf cart battery system, unless I want longer run time on my A/C.
  • ywhic

New GE 3.3 cu ft. fridge.. says like $327/year est on the energy card.. I figured it 0.89/kw per day..

The fan on low is 50w on the killawatt meter.. gotta have exhaust fan to get the heat out of the building.

Thinking the 220ah current bank is just not enough now.. considering 50% is only 110ah.. which isn't much to power things late in the evening.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    New GE 3.3 cu ft. fridge.. says like $327/year est on the energy card.. I figured it 0.89/kw per day..

You intended to type 327 kWH per year (or ~$33 per year power cost at ~$0.10 per kHW).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    New GE 3.3 cu ft. fridge.. says like $327/year est on the energy card.. I figured it 0.89/kw per day...
    ...but will run more in a hot environment.
    The fan on low is 50w on the killawatt meter.. gotta have exhaust fan to get the heat out of the building..
    I take it your leaving the door open? I don't see any ground level windows and likely you have no incoming air with out the door open, if your vent fan is at the vent above the window, your now really removing air from the building.
    Thinking the 220ah current bank is just not enough now.. considering 50% is only 110ah.. which isn't much to power things late in the evening.
    Likely your right, the fan is a real energy hog, I have 3 O2Cool fans running in my house now! I use them as a vent, one exhausting and one incoming, and I have one pushing air at floor level into my bedroom since I now have an A/C in one window and stained glass in the other. The 10" use about 10 watts, and pump a lot of air for their small size. They might be a good choice for a vent fan. You'd be ahead using one as a vent fan and one for personal comfort. They cost about $20 at WalMart and $19 + free shipping over $25 at Amazon They are 12 volt so you could save a little energy by running them direct, and I saw 10" battery w/o adapter in a WalMart sporting goods area for $15.

If your 'in town' check around and see if they might work for you! If you need to leave a fan exhausting continuously this might be a good choice. Might even do a down stairs vent pushing air into the cabin. Particularly if your leaving the door shut.
  • ywhic

There is a 27x14 front window as well by the front door. Can't leave the door open as flies are pretty bad at the moment and no screen door yet..

Picking up the other 2 batteries on Thursday. so just have to be patient.. (ugghh)..
  • verdigo
    verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭

ywhic. I envy your adventure. Wish i was a bit younger:blush:
  • Photowhit
    verdigo wrote: »
    Wish i was a bit younger:blush:

Don't we all...
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

are the pvs permanently mounted where they are? i suspect not. you could put lightning rods on the building to a ground rod. won't stop the emp should it hit, but lightning protections for pvs really need some semblance of permanency with a good electrical ground rod.
  • ywhic
    niel wrote: »
    are the pvs permanently mounted where they are? i suspect not. you could put lightning rods on the building to a ground rod. won't stop the emp should it hit, but lightning protections for pvs really need some semblance of permanency with a good electrical ground rod.

I used j bolts into quikcrete on each runner. so pretty permanent. Just installed last 2 panels for 8 total.

I have 2 facing East and 2 facing West. Peak with 6 panels was 658watts the other day. Like 75%.
  • Photowhit

Hi Al, you getting settled in?

Did you figure out the fan and perhaps add batteries?

Hope things are working out. I'm still figuring out my end, I took a lukewarm shower last night with the last of the 'hot' water, glad to see the sun shining today(1st since Thursday) Wish I had finished up installing the timer for the water heater, but I'll turn it off and run the A/C for a while and install it, then turn it on and leave for another project... It all takes a little time (or a lot of money...lol)