The Solar and Energy Debates We’re Not Having

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
During the Presidential and Congressional races, there’s something we’re not hearing enough about, energy and incentives. This is particularly important for renewable like solar and wind, but not because they’re seeking special treatment, they want equal treatment. One of the biggest issues with energy in the U.S. and renewable energy in particular is it has to compete with energy sources, like oil, gas, coal and nuclear, with long, long...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=wrG70qs3Yro:9XVK9wCWGHE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=wrG70qs3Yro:9XVK9wCWGHE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
wrG70qs3Yro

More...

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: The Solar and Energy Debates We’re Not Having

What we're really not hearing about is a cohesive national energy policy. Too big a project for politicians I guess.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    What we're really not hearing about is a cohesive national energy policy. Too big a project for politicians I guess.
    It's too big and a problem with no apparent solution. The cornerstone of any long range energy policy is going to be having to get by with less, quite possibly a LOT less, and no politician wants to touch that. It will be forced upon us eventually by thermodynamics and other realities, and what we do (or not do) now will influence the severity of the change when it comes, but political expediency trumps rational thought every time. We'll just barrel along doing business as usual until we hit the wall.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Yup. You're right. You only have to worry about having no brakes on your car when it's time to stop. :roll:
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    It's too big and a problem with no apparent solution. The cornerstone of any long range energy policy is going to be having to get by with less, quite possibly a LOT less, and no politician wants to touch that. It will be forced upon us eventually by thermodynamics and other realities, and what we do (or not do) now will influence the severity of the change when it comes, but political expediency trumps rational thought every time. We'll just barrel along doing business as usual until we hit the wall.

Totally, completely agree! The tragic part is that the vast majority of voters cannot see beyond their noses on issues like this, have no interest in being educated on the subject, and that's who the politicians are catering to for votes.
  • ggunn
    Totally, completely agree! The tragic part is that the vast majority of voters cannot see beyond their noses on issues like this, have no interest in being educated on the subject, and that's who the politicians are catering to for votes.
    I won't stress out the mods by going political, but suffice to say that all politicians are doing this to varying degrees. Which politicians are doing it to what degree is an exercise left to the reader. :^|
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »

Absolutely agree! IMO, the wall (or cliff) is closer than most people realize.

Attachment not found.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niice one, I just love some political cartoons!

Did you notice the front wheels? There's no turning that thing!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Moved RSS thread to discussion section to avoid 90 day deletion.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Did you notice the front wheels? There's no turning that thing!

Ha ha - great observation. Yep - this sucker's headed for the Seneca cliff. The only question is how hard the landing will be.:confused:
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I think you have to look at the side mentions, i.e. Romney mentioned energy in the ground and oh in a small voice wind and solar last night in the debate. R has indicated he would not support incentives for wind I do not know about solar, but have a good guess.
  • ggunn
    I think you have to look at the side mentions, i.e. Romney mentioned energy in the ground and oh in a small voice wind and solar last night in the debate. R has indicated he would not support incentives for wind I do not know about solar, but have a good guess.

NOW who's a job killer?

OK, OK, I'll stop. :D