Adding a small wind generator to my solar setup

Options
System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Hi, I have a solar battery charging systems that I want to add a small wind generator to. I now have a 20 watt 12V Monocrystalline panel with a simple 10A 12/24 V solar charge controller into a 12V 18ah battery. All works well.

I live near the beach with plenty of wind so I want to add some wind power. I now have a small 10 watt wind generator like this one: http://www.sawt.us/product/25

What is the best way to add it to my current system? Do I need a new charge controller?

This is a small system that powers a Netbook computer that is doing cancer research via the World Community Grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ If you would like to help my Wife in her fight against cancer add your computer to the grid and join her team "Pamela Ford". This is the same group that just got half a million dollars when IBMs "Watson" won on Jeapordy.

THanks,
Bruce

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Adding a small wind generator to my solar setup

We had a thread here on Shanghai Aeolus... But nobody has seen any data on them.

My default position on any VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) should be wait at least one year and demand a certified copy of the month by month energy production numbers before you layout one dollar.

There are very few small wind turbines of any type that work well (cost effective and reliable over time)... For VAWT, I am not sure there are any that work for anything other as a Garden Whrligig.

I hate to turn every thread about small wind into a harangue about small wind not being worth two cents (I am not a fan of small wind at all)... So, here are the standard wind links (the good and the bad) that I give new posters:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "Russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)
    Small windpower a scam ? Survey says SO
    Truth About Skystream & SWWP
    Windmax HY-2000 2kW Wind Turbine (apparently, some vendors don't sell spare parts--just new turbines)

And a general DIY Solar Builder site:

www.builditsolar.com

By the way, please don't ask for donations here... I will let it stand but it is very difficult for us moderators to wade through everyone on the Internet that asks for money (including commercial spam) to validate is something we will not do here...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi BB,

As I said below I already have the 10 watt turbine. I suspect I can't use my "solar" charge conroller with it. Or am I wrong?

Can I just double up the wind turbines output cables ontop of the solar panels cables where they attach to the charge controller?

Do I have to get a "wind" charge controller? I can seperate the two systems and place a 12v UPS switch between the them that would feed the computer from which ever battery has enough power.

After posting this I noticed a WIND section in the forums, should I cross-post their?

When I tell people I have a computer on my roof that is solar powered and doing cancer research they don't understand and usually start asking questions. I understand your concern about charity pitches, wasn't asking for money, they don't take donations. But if someone thought it was interesting they could connect their computers screensaver to the grid to help out also.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Bruce
  • BB.
    Options

I have to go right now--But normally, a solar charge controller is connected in series with the panel.

A wind charge controller is usually connected directly to the battery and turns on a "shunt" load to "burn" excess power from the wind turbine (HAWT typically require a battery/load connection all the time to prevent over-speeding). The shunt/diversion controller typically powers an electric resistance heater of some sort.

What size battery bank to you have (and is it flooded cell or AGM/Sealed)? If the battery bank is 100 AH or larger, you probably do not need a wind controller at all unless you have a whole lot of wind and little loads.

Several solar charge controllers (setup for series connections with solar PV panels) can be reconfigured as diversion controllers with some sort of load.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

Thanks for the info.
    For right now an 18ah battery, sealed lead-acid battery.
    I'll investigate shunt/diversion controllers.
    Bruce
  • BB.
    Options

1 amp on an 18 AH battery is about a C/20 charge rate (~5%)... It probably does need a charge controller.

These are too big, but the Xantrex C35 (and other models too).

You should be able to find others too... Or make your own... Vbatt>14.2 volts, turn on 20 watt load relay.

Depending on the design of the VAWT--it is possible that you could use a series charge controller if the VAWT can operate without any loads (self limiting RPM) and the alternator/generator output voltage does not exceed the series charge controller input voltage.

-Bill
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    1 amp on an 18 AH battery is about a C/20 charge rate (~5%)... It probably does need a charge controller.-Bill
    IF, and that's a big IF, it were ever to actually put out anywhere near 1 amp for more than a few minutes a month, or two, or three.
    I'd hook it up direct without a controller for a while, keep an eye on things, and IF it appeared a controller was necessary, then go for it. Otherwise save your money.
  • System2
    Options

I found several DIY projects online. Like this http://www.morse-code.com/id184.htm I guess I'll keep looking to see if I can find something small off the shelf.