Rogue MPT-3024

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Rogue MPT-3024
    icarus wrote: »
    We are ~20 Kms from the tower. Mercifully, there are very few people that live out here, and the bulk of the traffic is from the highway. There are perhaps 20 people that live in the range of the tower, and few of them seem to use it for ISP. All told I am thrilled with the the service, especially compared to Xplornet Sat service. Better pings (by far) better throughput, much lower price per gig too. Not only that, I now have one bill for both the phone and ISP. Before it was ~$50 for the phone, plus ~$100 for the ISP. Now my bill averages (for both services, unlimited voice) is~ $60.

Tony

Sounds great! My "conventional" ISP is a point-to-point relay at WiFi frequencies down to a physical access point. When it works its great. But interference is a constant problem. They are switching over to Wi-Max, but my location is shadowed by a protected hold-over user of the frequency, so I am out of the antenna pattern for that. Much better latency than satellite though.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

"Mx60 has worked great for me over the years. I am noticing the fan is starting to go out and I need to order a new one for it after about 5 years."

My problem with an MX60 as well. I took off the lower cover and put a 120v computer muffin type fan blowing air in during the daylight hours ( on a timer). Works fine,but I put white paint on the fan blades so I could see them and not put my finger in amongst the blades. Someday I'll put a little screen in front of the fan (probably after I get a finger whacked).

Now the leftmost button (the most used "initiate" button ) is tough to get to actuate...press and hold for 5-10 seconds before menus show up. I must have worn it out:confused:. That's a someday job, replace fan, replace button pad, update firmware...but it'll probably be beyond support by Outback by then and I'll be into getting a new charge controller instead.

Ral;ph
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    ArmyVet wrote: »
    Anyone Hear yet of any updates on the Rogue Series. Personally I would think something new would be hatched by now. Seems to have a great Market Pull. But no new updated Controllers or Updated Software control or Nothing.

Ahh...something new is being hatched. It just takes a lot of time, testing, and money to get a new product to market. My most recent products were made available just last year. A couple of new controllers are in the works. I can't promise when they'll be available or what specific features they'll end up with, but a lot of the feedback I've received has gone into the designs. Stay tuned!

Marc
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    Ralph Day wrote: »
    "Mx60 has worked great for me over the years. I am noticing the fan is starting to go out and I need to order a new one for it after about 5 years."

My problem with an MX60 as well. I took off the lower cover and put a 120v computer muffin type fan blowing air in during the daylight hours ( on a timer). Works fine,but I put white paint on the fan blades so I could see them and not put my finger in amongst the blades. Someday I'll put a little screen in front of the fan (probably after I get a finger whacked).

Now the leftmost button (the most used "initiate" button ) is tough to get to actuate...press and hold for 5-10 seconds before menus show up. I must have worn it out:confused:. That's a someday job, replace fan, replace button pad, update firmware...but it'll probably be beyond support by Outback by then and I'll be into getting a new charge controller instead.

Ral;ph

Maybe this is the right place and time to repeat my post about the mx60, which you may find here: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?11806-Midnite-Classic-150-vs-Outback-80/page2&p=90014#post90014

My MX60's fan stopped running after almost 4 years of use. I emailed Outback, asking for a quote on the fan.

This is their reply:

A fan will be sent to you free of charge and will ship out Monday.Your confirmation# is SO-12540 Francine Flores
    Customer Service
    Direct Tech Support: 360.618.4363
    OutBack Power Technologies
    6115 192nd Street NE 
    Arlington, WA 98223 USA Tel: 360.435.6030  Fax: 360.435.6019
    www.outbackpower.com

That was a week ago.
    The fan arrived two days ago, free of any charges!
    I do realize the cost of such a fan is just peanuts. But oh boy, that's what I call GREAT SERVICE.
    When you buy anything, one of the factors you should take into consideration is custommer service, and I think Outback's is awsome.

Kudos to the folks at Outback
  • ArmyVet
    ArmyVet Banned Posts: 20

Thats good to Hear Marc. Any Idea of the Size of these new controllers or approximate guess. Would be nice to know what these will be able to do possibly. Like Voltage Input from panels. And Amps for battery charging. Just the simple tid bits, Will make people hold out for these controllers. :)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Marc,

I want a 24 vdc controller, with a built in AC inverter of ~600 watts, and a line voltage battery charger built in of say 40 amps, all at a price of $300. Can you supply?

Tony
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Marc,

I want a 24 vdc controller, with a built in AC inverter of ~600 watts, and a line voltage battery charger built in of say 40 amps, all at a price of $300. Can you supply?

Tony

You forgot the most important thing: it needs to have a built-in programmable battery monitor that controls both charge sources according to SOC and can warn then shut down the inverter if the batteries get too low. That would probably cost an extra $10, though. :P

'Not-as-smart-as-the-other-Marc-Marc'
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

And how 'bout a built in high AH LI battery bank,, for that I might pay,,, $500

Good luck Lorelec (Marc)

Tony
  • firerescue712
    firerescue712 Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have 2 of the Rogue 3024's. I am anxiously awaiting the new Rogues. If they are comparable to the Midnite Classic 150's, I am grabbing one...or two. I am ready to buy when you are ready to sell, Marc. Once you get some specs, will you post them here?
  • dlt123me
    dlt123me Registered Users Posts: 8

As you will see, I am new to this Solar game, but have learned to research when it comes to this game. I don't want to make a spending error and want to make an informed decision.

I am putting together a small camping charging kit and want to use a small Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 22 Amps Portable Power Unit as a power supply for my CPAP machine which I need to use while sleeping. My CPAP is DC so I don't need an inverter. I just plug it into the cigarette lighter or cig lighter plug of the Shumacher.

I plan on using a Grape Solar GS-S-100-TS 100 Watt Monocrystalline PV panel and the Rogue 3024 controller to do the charging during the day while camping. I have a couple of questions before making the plunge. Also, I've seen some confusion about this panel in that some say it's a positive ground. Not sure if this is an issue for this CC.

1: Will the Rogue be overkill for charging this power pack? It is only a 22 amp AGM battery.

2: I plan on purchasing a Grape Solar GS-S-100-TS 100 Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel. Will this controller work for this panel? Is this too big of a panel to charge my Schumacher Power Pack?

Note: i am planning on adding more panels in the future for a RV motor home, a future purchase, so I can run if off the grid with solar. This is why I am looking at the Rouge. I just want to make sure I won't fry my small portable battery pack by getting the Rouge and 100 watt panel.

Thanks in advance for helping a fledgling Solar geek.

Dennis
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome, first question which do you want to do?

" I don't want to make a spending error and don't want to make a informed decision." these are probably mutually exclusive...

My thoughts: as a CPAP is an essential piece of equipment is to buy a good deep cycle battery and a good inverter, TSW, rather than a setup meant for boosting a car battery. that is what you linked to.
    rogue CC is a good choice IF you want to expand the system for an RV.

HTH

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • dlt123me

Opps, I made an edit error. Thanks for pointing that out. I do want to make a good decision. :) I also added more information about the CPAP machine in my initial post.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Cariboocoot

Welcome to the forum.

Yes the Rogue is overkill for a single 100 Watt panel. The panel will produce about 5 Amps of current, so why use an expensive 30 Amp MPPT controller on it?

What's more, the panel is overkill for a 22 Amp hour 12 Volt battery. I would ask the question: is that battery sufficient to keep the CPAP running over night? Probably not as the most it could supply would be about 132 Watt hours. Take a look at the specs on your machine or better yet run it through a Kill-A-Watt one night and see how many Watt hours it consumes.

As Westbranch said, this is essential equipment. You want to keep it running. Better to find out how much power you need and then come up with a way to supply it than to have it shut down before dawn.
  • dlt123me

Westbranch:

Well, maybe I better rethink this and do more research. Thanks for the help... I still will be getting the CC though...

Carlboocoot:

The reason for getting the Rogue is because i plan on getting more panels latter for a RV... I realize the 100 panel is overkill for the Schumacher, which I might forgo, but it will fit into a future multi panel setup.

I've heard that my CPAP uses 1.5amp per hour but will test it with a kill-a-watt to see what I actually use each night.

Is that making more sense? :D

Thanks
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

what is the dc ratings for the cpap as a kilawatt meter won't measure dc? i don't know if you already have the 22a battery or not, but what coot meant was that up to 11ah is usable on that battery as you should not exceed 50% on any lead acid battery types as it will take away some of the lifespan of the battery. now this could work out for you if you intend to use the battery as a throwaway just until you upgrade your pvs and along with that upgrade to a better battery bank. this small battery will not have a future place with other batteries as it is small and will be abused.

you should expand you planning a bit to know how far your future expansion on the system will be, for you want to know if the rogue will fit those future guidelines or not.
  • Cariboocoot

Niel you probably know this: is that 1.5 Amp rating at 12 VDC or 120 VAC?
    Makes a big difference!
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

"My CPAP is DC so I don't need an inverter."

btw i should've seen the 1.5a he stated too and for 8hrs sleep this will draw it down to 22ah-(8x1.5=12ah)=10ah of capacity or about 45%. now it may be lower than this due to the 22ah being at a 20hr rate and the peukert effect so in the area of 40% maybe with a bit more than 8.5ah or so. this is lower than what we normally recommend and of course if you get more sleep then you could conceivably kill the battery.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I successfully used a car battery for my old inefficient machine about 15 years ago through a 300 watt small sine wave inverter.

As I remember, it was slightly more than enough Amp-hours to work. I would doubt that a 22 A-hour battery would work
    but it just might as like you say, it's DC input and doesn't need an inverter. It just might work.

boB
  • dlt123me
    niel wrote: »
    "My CPAP is DC so I don't need an inverter."

btw i should've seen the 1.5a he stated too and for 8hrs sleep this will draw it down to 22ah-(8x1.5=12ah)=10ah of capacity or about 45%. now it may be lower than this due to the 22ah being at a 20hr rate and the peukert effect so in the area of 40% maybe with a bit more than 8.5ah or so. this is lower than what we normally recommend and of course if you get more sleep then you could conceivably kill the battery.

I've decided to opt for a small Deep Cycle battery instead of the Schumacher. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Dennis
  • _OS_
    _OS_ Solar Expert Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what happened with Rogue Power Tech? Their webpage is down and their page on Facebook is removed.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I saw someone post that he threw in the towel, but don't know details.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • sloarlite
    sloarlite Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Sad, I had the opportunity to install one in a friends Motor Home. Later following my friend and the performance with his solar system.  I really liked the Rogue product.  
    Not sure what happened. There was some harsh exchanges in the Tech forum of Rv.net about MPPT v/s PWM..... Understanding higher VMP panels and the advantages of MPPT is difficult for some to grasp.  RV solar application is a complex example of getting the most bang for the space allowed to panels.    Example I have 2 100watt panels that have a 23 Vmp.  Way out performs a 17.1 Vmp 100watt panel with a Mppt controller... The 23Vmp panel (s) would not out perform the 17.1(s) with a PWM controller.  

Anyway I am sad to see Lorelec (Marc) go....

Jim
  • SVMIKAT
    SVMIKAT Registered Users Posts: 3
    Does anyone have the documentation on the 3024.  I am needing to change it over to charge Lithium batteries
    Peter
  • quinticsleeveless
    quinticsleeveless Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2018 #265
    I've had two of these units powered up for over three years, and they're great. I like that the display shows volts and amps from the array, and the converted figures going to the battery bank. I haven't done any of the computer linking. My system is two parallel systems of 800 watts each, through the controllers, battery banks of 12 T-105 type golf cart batteries wired to 24 volts, all to one Outback VFX3524 inverter. The system powers everything in the offgrid house, including electric 20 foot fridge (not propane), washing machine, two chest freezers, vacuum, etc. We went offgrid, but wanted all the conveniences we had in the city, and the system works great. The Rogue controllers are perfect, and monitor the front end well. I have a trimetric and Outback 'mate' to monitor the output side going into the house.
    More information......  

• firerescue712
    SVMIKAT, here is the Rogue manual.....
  • SVMIKAT
    Thank you very much!   I have been looking for this for over a year to no avail......Much appreciation.   You wouldn't happen to have the software for it as well would you?   I am going to be replacing my 660 ah battery bank (6 group 31 agms) with 4 100 ah battleborn LIPO4 on a large catamaran sailboat.    I am also going to add a 2 more panels and another 40 amp controller to add some more charging capability and some redundancy out on the open ocean.   Thanks again, Peter
  • firerescue712
    No software for the Rogue.  Might be able to search for it online, But, beware of trojan and virus sites that look legit.
  • SVMIKAT
    already been there.   Im amazed you had the docs.  Peter
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer, the file was too large.  I tried to look in the wayback machine, but only the page was there, no download file

Maybe you can find the contact info for them, on the wayback

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SteveW
    SteveW Registered Users Posts: 1
    I read the comment section, and understand that some of the comments were posted when the MPT3024 was new. All I can add is that it is now June 2020, and I installed my TWO units in parallel arrays/battery banks in 2010, 10 years ago, and they have worked flawlessly in the Colorado Rocky Mountains at 8800 feet and to temperatures into the negative 20s. My initial parallel battery banks were 12 each golf cart batteries per side (24 total), fed by a 1640w array of "Evergreen" 205w panels, in two 820w parallel banks and these controllers, in/on an unheated solar house structure across the driveway from the main house. With routine care including equalization provided by these Rogue units, the batteries lasted 6 years out of a predicted 3 to 5 years for a golf cart bank cycled on a daily basis all year. I used "EverReady Energizer" flooded lead batteries for that bank. ...Cheap Mexican made batteries from Sam's for $88 each. I did not run my panels in series to maximum voltage, but matched the 24vdc system to feed a nice Outback VFX3524 inverter. I manually charge when necessary with 2 "Iota" 25a chargers for each side in parallel, instead of with the inverter's built in charger- it lets me use a smaller generator and even less propane, and I only have to charge occasionally in winter- never in summer, very rarely in spring or fall. I manually charge well before the bank get down to 40% capacity, instead of charging after the inverter shuts down (like so many here do). It's been almost perfect. Since the golf carts' extended lifespan ended,I now have parallel banks of 8 each, "Crown" 390ah L-16 batteries (U.S. made) for 16 total, but a larger capacity bank, still run by the array designed to charge the golf carts. I'm still full by or before noon, unless I'm using heavy power tools in the shop. I have zero complains with these charge controllers, and I pay attention to my batteries. Good luck. ....disclaimer, I'm not affiliated with "Rogue" and never have been. I don't even know if they're still in business. If they are, I'll be a customer again if the need arises.