Diamond White Volt has arrived, first impressions.

solar_dave
solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
Late last Thursday evening we got a call from the transport driver and the Volt was ready for a drop off. He arrived at about 9PM and got the Volt off the truck. The Green Chic (as she is now known) drove it down the street into the garage for a well lite once over before we signed off the bill of lading. The grand kids were in the back seat chanting "Green Chic, Green Chic". It is hard to impress Technology stuff on 10 and 12 year olds today and they were even impressed.

Well the Green Chic took off Friday for the first maiden voyage, a run to her mothers for a grocery shopping trip, over to the grand kids house and back to the garage charging station. 100% on electric power. We plugged it in on the 120V charger and 7 hours later it was back to 100% charge. We also did some running on Saturday and Sunday, all on Electric. So far 0 gallons of gasoline. The on-board display shows a 250+ mpg on gas, as it should as none was used except by the dealer. At this rate we think that we can easily achieve 2000+ miles on the 9 gallon fuel supply. WOW 222mpg.

One needs to consider the distances needed to travel if you want full electric usage. Looks like 45 miles per charge is very doable even with the AC on ECO mode. The internal computer is programmable to charge on off peak but can be easily overridden by just plugging it in the removing the plug and quickly plugging in again. This forces an immediate charge. The draw is 1440 watts as near as I can tell from the TED and from the owners manual the charger draws 12 amps, seems to line right up.

To do items include adding in the 240V charger on a 20 amp line (or from a 60 amp sub panel in the garage) and adding a in a TED MTU for the charging circuit(s) to track usage.

I will be closely tracking the value of not using the Oil Patch on this car, liking the option of the extended range to keep from getting stranded. If it works out like we think it will a second Volt maybe in order in the next couple of years. I would have to persuaded the employer to add a charging station for the second Volt to keep it all electric.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Diamond White Volt has arrived, first impressions.

I think you better order some Fuel Stabilizer for your gas tank !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭
    mike90045 wrote: »

I believe the tank is pressurized to help with that issue..

Sweet ride non the less! Wanna trade?:roll:
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

IC engines just seem so old fashioned now. Recently saw a great Ad from Renault for their EV line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13l6UsQAe5M
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    IC engines just seem so old fashioned now. Recently saw a great Ad from Renault for their EV line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13l6UsQAe5M

i like that commercial as it puts a different perspective on it.
  • solar_dave

Nissan as well and they take a poke @ the Volt but I bet GM will eat there lunch with this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0sCCJFkEbE
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I drive a 2.5L 2009 Ford Escape and I use Fuel Stabilizer in the winter.
    Since I don't drive a lot, trips to the gas station only occur once every 6 to 8 weeks..
    And sometimes, that's only to pump 5 or 6 gallons.. :cool:

Yeah, being an old retired guy is helping to save the Earth!
    ~~

I love that Volt! It's going rule the roost if there aren't too many bugs..
    It's getting some good reviews..
    http://youtu.be/BYjqQC28JGo
  • solar_dave

Supposedly is not required but I am skeptical as well. It does use premium fuel and I wonder if that is more stable over the long haul.

The ICE will fire every so often to lubricate it and the computer has a timer to run the fuel out before the recommended aging time.
  • solar_dave

The ICE comes on every 6 weeks for lubrication, and the tank life of the fuel is 1 year, according to GM no stabilizer is required if premium is used..
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭

Congrats! I should have my LEAF in 2-3 weeks... :)
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Let's have a volt/ leave smack down!

Keep us in the loops,

Tony
  • nvyseal
    nvyseal Solar Expert Posts: 108 ✭✭✭✭

What a sweet ride! Lets get some pictures up :)

I really do hope the batteries hold up way longer than warranted for, but prices should have come down by then. I've just had really bad luck with laptop batteries going south RIGHT AT the end of warranty.

You probably already know this, but get the car tax credit in full for this year, don't try and carry it over. Save your solar credits for another year.
    For personal use vehicles, the credit is treated as a nonrefundable personal credit and is limited by the taxpayer’s amount of tax liability for the year the car is placed in service (including AMT). If the sum of this, the section 27 foreign tax credit and other personal credits (for 2011, not including the residential energy-efficient property credit of section 25D and, for 2012, not including the section 23 adoption credit) exceeds the taxpayer’s tax liability for the year in which the vehicle is placed in service, the difference is wasted. Clients who anticipate a change in tax liability will want to try to plan their acquisition accordingly.

Congrats!! and hopefully I'll be joining you soon with my Ford Focus EV

...and I really do think its time we added a EV forum to this site and not discourage members to go to other/competitors sites to find out how solar and EV's work together
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Another "congrats" from me. I've been following the Volt for 2 years now over on gm-volt.com, I really wish I could go get one right now. As for the gas, yes, by using premium you get more volatile compounds and thus a longer shelf life.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • drees
    techntrek wrote: »
    As for the gas, yes, by using premium you get more volatile compounds and thus a longer shelf life.
    Just picking nits - but higher octane fuel should be more stable than lower octane fuel - so should be slightly less volatile.
  • techntrek

More stable long-term because it has more volatile compounds to loose to begin with.
  • drees
    techntrek wrote: »
    More stable long-term because it has more volatile compounds to loose to begin with.
    Higher octane fuels tend to have have fewer volatile compounds than lower octane fuels - meaning it will not evaporate as quickly and will not spontaneously combust as easily (is more knock resistant).

As such - higher octane fuel will last longer when stored - lower octane fuel will more readily react with the air in the tank and "go bad" more quickly.
  • techntrek

Higher octane fuels have more of specific compounds like toluene, methanol, and most often in road gas, ethanol. All highly volatile compounds.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

Solar Dave

Lots of luck sand successs with the Volt. Just watch out for alcohol/ethonal fuels as the alcohol attracks water and phase seperates. High octane fuels have added chemicals to slow the flame spread so as not to detonate under higher compression pressures. The very tight evaporative emmissions systems on fuel injected engines and all newer cars help control the evaporation of the volatile compounds. Follow what the manual says and at least the warranty should back you.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congrats on the Volt & best of luck. Watch the tax credits. I'd hate to think anyone lost any portion of them.
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    nvyseal wrote: »
    You probably already know this, but get the car tax credit in full for this year, don't try and carry it over. Save your solar credits for another year.

I'm not a tax professional, and of course you should consult your own tax attorney, but I don't think you have a choice about "saving your solar credits for another year." It is my understanding that they have to be used FIRST to offset taxes, and then, if more taxes are owed, the other credit for an electric vehicle can be taken. Otherwise, if you owe LESS tax than your solar credit, the remaining will carry over to the next tax year, with an ending time I believe of 2016 or possibly 2015.
  • solar_dave

About the only thing I can claim this year is the car. Did all the others in previous years and it worked out well carrying the excess forward one year on the solar credits.
  • solar_dave

A few snaps of the Volt.

About 400 all electric miles off the solar so far.
  • solar_dave

And a couple more just for fun
  • techntrek

............. < drool > ................
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

pop the hood!

PS. Jealous of no front plate..... looks so clean.
  • drees

Are you able to measure separately how many miles per kWh from the wall you are getting in your Volt?

Got my LEAF earlier this week - so far so good!
  • solar_dave
    drees wrote: »
    Are you able to measure separately how many miles per kWh from the wall you are getting in your Volt?

Got my LEAF earlier this week - so far so good!

Us power geeks would want to know that but GM was afraid it meant little to the average Joe. It draws about 1440 watts charging and a full dead to full charge takes 10 hours. You get almost 50 miles from that, the estimates keep increasing because we use some simple hyper milling methods.

So far most of our trips have been around 20-30 miles, so not on drop of gas has been used so far, the car will start the ICE every 6 weeks to keep it lubricated and once a year it will burn about half a tank of gas off it and ask for a refill of fresh premium.

I have not pushed the wife to control her time of day charging yet, but with almost break even on the grid tie even when day time charging and 3000 kWh in the on peak bank, I guess who cares much. :p

PS me wants a Red one!
  • drees
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Us power geeks would want to know that but GM was afraid it meant little to the average Joe. It draws about 1440 watts charging and a full dead to full charge takes 10 hours. You get almost 50 miles from that, the estimates keep increasing because we use some simple hyper milling methods.
    So appx 3.5 miles per kWh from wall to wheels then - sounds about right.

With my LEAF setup I am able to monitor exactly how much electricity I use (as long as I charge at home). I have a Blink EVSE which has an internal power monitor and that is also tied into a dedicated EV meter for billing. So yesterday, for example, I drove 27 miles and used 6.65 kWh to charge the car which gives me about 4 miles / kWh. FWIW - the car said 4.2 miles / kWh for the same driving.
    So far most of our trips have been around 20-30 miles, so not on drop of gas has been used so far, the car will start the ICE every 6 weeks to keep it lubricated and once a year it will burn about half a tank of gas off it and ask for a refill of fresh premium.
    My ideal garage would also include PHEV so that both drivers can use electricity most of the time to drive, but then we'd still have a car that can do the larger trips. The Ford CMAX Energi looks particularly interesting - I wonder how much EV range it will have when it comes out.
    I have not pushed the wife to control her time of day charging yet, but with almost break even on the grid tie even when day time charging and 3000 kWh in the on peak bank, I guess who cares much. :p
    Hah, no kidding! My house needs more solar - another kW of panels ought to cover my commuting miles, but if we add another plug-in we'll need more. That said - with the EVs running on a separate meter and billed separately, we don't get the full benefit of offsetting our EV miles on a cost basis, we'd have to go full-house TOU. Maybe after we get another plug-in I'll look at what it costs to add more panels. Hoping by then PV only costs $3 / watt to install, could add another 2 kW without much investment.
    PS me wants a Red one!
    The more plug-ins, the better! Did you see that GM is opening orders to the whole country now and reduced the base price by making more features optional?
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭
    Did you see that GM is opening orders to the whole country now and reduced the base price by making more features optional?

I saw an article that said some dealers were price gouging on the Volt because of supply/demand. Apparently, some dealers have been adding as much as $20,000! Those dealers are NUTS. Even more nuts for some people willing to pay that much extra! Naturally, the price gouging is not all that extreme, but it's still discouraging to see what some dealers are doing.

Edward
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

"some dealers have been adding as much as $20,000! "

That's amazing! That means there are rich people buying.
    That extra 20k gives them bragging rights within their group of friends.
    They surely aren't thinking about saving 20k on gas! :p

I remember reading a tell-all by a car ex-salesman. He recounted a story
    about his favorite sucker. She came driving by the dealership and almost
    crashed her fancy car, while looking at a new red car on the delivery truck,
    she ran into the showroom, yelling, "I must have that beautiful red car"!
    Every single person at the dealership was smirking, ear-to-ear..
  • SolarLurker
    SolarLurker Solar Expert Posts: 122 ✭✭

In 12 months dealers with be selling this under msrp and in 24 months they will be selling them under invoice.

The dealers always do this, when the Corvette z06 came out dealers wanted 15,000 to 20,000 over, when the Camaro came out the did the same thing.

At the moment the early adopters, eviromentalists and techies are buying these, I doubt most of the public is going to rush out and buy a 41,000 dollar car to save some gas.

Honestly, it would be much better for the environment if people would buy a Hyundai that gets 42 mpg for 14,000 dollars and put the difference into PV or energy efficiency at home.

I am not against the volt in any way, and I think that if you have excess PV production, and have already gotten all of the environmental low hanging fruit, I.e efficient net zero home, recycle, organic food, conserve, and such. Than one of these cars makes sense.