Mount Critique

Fatawan
Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
I am zeroing in on my system design. I think I am going with the Sanyo HIT panels and Enphase 210's. I plan to go with 48 panels mounted in 8 rows of 6 each. I plan to mount the panels using 1 1/2" schedule 40 pipe into 12" concrete pillars. I will have three rows horizontally. The vertical bars will be made of aluminum 8020 extrusions u-bolted to the horizontal schedule 40 pipe. I'll use commercially available clips bolted to t-nuts in the 8020, and use the same t-nuts to mount the inverters. I have attached my crude side view.

Please critique and add whatever might be useful.

Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Mount Critique

Cross bracing? (X or diagonal)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Fatawan

Ah yes, bracing. I would imagine the whole tall row would need braced to one another, and perhaps back row to middle row? Is there somewhere to look up guidelines for bracing?
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Make sure the pillars are well anchored, or really heavy. The wind loads can be tremendous. Figure about 10lb/sqft of wind pressure.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said...

Yes depending on location wind might well be a really problem, we had 60mph straight line winds about 2 weeks ago, my panels were fine I have a ground mount with cedars and then my cabin, behind the panels, also a steeper orientaion for peak winter sun.

The 4x8 roof over the archery range, broke the 4 - 4x4 posts at the ground. It was a new roof on older posts, but still quite impressive, it was just a roof out in the middle of a field.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    ... it was just a roof out in the middle of a field.

That's the worst situation you can have. If at all possible, put sides on the structure. Even slat sides will break up the wind and reduce the sail effect.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah my neighbor put up a gazebo about 18 X 18 on just a set of framed up posts(2X4 box about 12 inch square with sheathing and stucco) , and the city would not approve the plans because of wind loading and lack of racking bracing. He put it up anyway. :confused:
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

He may find it in Kansas one day!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Fatawan

Anyone familiar with this mounting system? It's kind of what I had in mind, but I have no idea where it came from.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a spiffy ground mount, homemade ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,