Why would black frame solar panels be cheaper than silver frame?

joeedens
joeedens Solar Expert Posts: 28
Is there a reason why the black frame solar panels would be cheaper? Any issues with reliability because of increased heat?

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Why would black frame solar panels be cheaper than silver frame?

Less demand, too much supply ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Maybe the frame is painted steel instead of aluminium.

For a long time "professional black finish" cameras were sold for more money, even though the satin chrome "amateur" finish was actually more expensive to produce.

In other words don't look for sense in the world of marketing. :roll:
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Anodized coating versus bare aluminium? Anodizing is not very costly. Anodized surface is less conductive and less heat transfer.

Or just painted.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Mine appeared to be black anodized aluminum frames.

Black may absorb more heat, however because there is a very small black surface area and a very large area of solar cells, I would guess there is not difference overall between clear anodized and black/bronze anodizing on panel performance.

By the way, all aluminum forms a insulating surface by reacting to the air within minutes.

"Pure" aluminum will stop corroding once the oxide has sealed the surface. Withstands weathering very well.

The high strength and other specialty aluminum alloys tend to continue corroding and/or get inner-granular corrosion if not protected from the elements by surface passivation or painting.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jcgee88
    jcgee88 Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    joeedens wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the black frame solar panels would be cheaper?

Which manufacturer and PV panel models are you referring to?

In my case, the black framed panels actually cost MORE than the
    equivalent silver/white ones, although my contractor eventually
    charged me the same price.

John
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

I have both black and grey frames. Some people think the black framed panels look better including me. When I was installing mine the people accross the road ask me If I would put the black framed ones on my pole mounts that were closest to them. Quality and value is the most important to me. I like black framed panels but would:D buy which ever color ones that is the better value. :Dsolarvic:D
  • joeedens
    joeedens Solar Expert Posts: 28

I was referring to the Evergreen ES-A-215-fa3 215W 12V Solar Panel which is a black frame. One on-line supplier is selling them for $440/panel. The Evergreen ES-A-215-fa2 215W 12V Solar Panel which is the silver frame they (same supplier) are selling for $559/panel. That's quite a difference in price for just frame color.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

Both color of frames are the same cost to produce. They are both anodized to protect the aluminum surface. It is just that the silver (or natural) frames operate slightly cooler and are thus preferable and much more common and so generally lower priced. The black framed versions are not stocked so well by distributors and are usually treated almost like a special ordered item. In your case you probably have a particular panel that is not selling well and they are discounting it.
    Go for it - that is a good size module.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭

I have nothing to add to this discussion regarding cost. Several installers in my area prefer black panel trim because ice and snow melt off quicker. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I switched my array from silver frames to black frames. They do have slightly less visual impact. Its not night and day, but it is noticable.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    vtmaps wrote: »
    I have nothing to add to this discussion regarding cost. Several installers in my area prefer black panel trim because ice and snow melt off quicker. --vtMaps

i hadn't thought of that aspect and could hold true for us that get snow.

at the same time the opposite could hold true for those with the highly reflective silvery frame in a hot region reflecting much heat away during the daytime hours.

oh, and to add why black frames would or could be more expensive is because it is an added step with added material so it is a higher cost to manufacture.
  • Cariboocoot

Gosh, how long before a really important breakthrough in solar panels occurs like Designer Panel Frames? :p

On the other hand the way people think these days that might actually increase sales. Think about all the people who voice their objections to seeing "ugly" solar panels on the roofs. Well if they were Porsche Designed would they complain?

I'm being facetious. I think.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm being facetious. I think.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean it isn't true, Think of the solar shade panels, that have glass or some clear backing to let some light through... and the black backing panels, Like the Suntech STP180-24/Adb+ which have a black backing sheet as well as black frames, like solar panels do best when they are their hotest (NOT). These are the panels I was able to salvage, I have no clue as to the vainity that would make this disierable. As for me, salvaging them at 30 cents a watt was the only incentive I needed.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • The Only Sarge
    The Only Sarge Solar Expert Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just went to the ECO Solar Compare website and the top panels out there, at the lowest per watt cost, were silver framed. Everyone of them. So I fail to see any statistical accuracy, in any statement saying, one color is less expensive than the other. Especially black is cheaper.

And for Coot.....You can have custom made ceramic panels in Shade of Pacific Blue, Tahiti Pink, Harlem Red etc. if you want. Seriously.
    You can get your panels in all kinds of shapes also :)
    So finally Ol Coot can have a maple leaf solar panel in Canadian red and white. I wonder if I can get a panel in the shape T-Bone?
    Maple_leaf.jpg
  • Cariboocoot

Oh no. I thought I was joking. :blush:
    If our Government gets wind of that ... Well they'll tax it anyway so what's the point?

Now wonder I spend so much time in the woods with the bears; they make more sense than people.