my experience with magnum energy inverters

Hello all, I just wanted to let you know some of the experiences I have had with magnasine inverters since you have no rating or comment sections. Let me begin with my own system. Just over 3 years ago I bought a magnasine 2012 inverter for my offgrid house, after 2 months of use it went bad. I returned it to the place in WA (at a cost of 50 dollars) and they fixed it and sent it back. Ok that was the first bad experience, then a neighbor of mine bought a magnasine 4024 inverter. when the system was fired up the inverter was making a significant buzzing noise, so we checked everything and all was good except the noise it was making. An inverter should run silent so we packed it up and sent it back explaining the issue. They returned the inverter and charged him for the return shipping and said there was nothing wrong with it. They didnt fix anything and it still makes a loud buzzing. That was experience number 2. Then another neighbor of mine bought a magnasine 2012 inverter and 1 month after the install it went bad. We returned it (50 dollars) and they repaired it and sent it back. After 2 months it went bad again, we returned it (50 dollars) and they fixed it again and sent it back. After 1 month it went bad a 3rd time, I called them and said look, something is wrong with this unit and I want a different one. They said they would sent a remanufactured on out while waiting for the bad one to be returned with a stipulation that they charged his credit card 2000.00 and held the money for 30 days. That rebuilt inverter sells retail for 1050.00. Even if the inverter we sent back was there 1n 2 days they would hold 2000.00 for 30 days. We opted out of that and just sent it back for the 3rd time (50 dollars again) and they fixed it and sent it back. This made 3 times it went bad in 6 months and 150.00 in shipping costs and 6 service calls (uninstall ... reinstall ) 3 times for a total of 300.00. so he is out 450.00 because of theyre defective product and they said they would only reimburse him for 3 service calls. In the box with the last return we included a letter asking for the reimbusement for the service calls and if they wanted to do the right thing they would reimburse him for all of it. Well we got it back and they didnt reimburse him anything at all! Not only did they not reimburse him but his downtime has been totally unacceptable and theyre soulutions completely unprofessional and virtually criminal. There 5 people in the valley where I live that have magnasine inverters and 3 of them have been bad the last one to an extreme degree. Also on 3 of them when they were taken out of the factory box had set screws from the buss bars out and rattling around in the case. I wish I had never even heard of magnum energy and the junk they sell or theyre horrible customer service. I regret ever recommending them to anyone and will do all I can to keep people in the future from ever having to go through the ordeal the people here have. There is absolutly nothing wrong with the installs and they have more grounds than a national park. Lightning protection etc. the 2 48 volt magnasines havent had any problems (yet). I wonder where they got all the magnasine inverters to rebuild and sell as remanufactured??? Just a warning to dealers and customers to know about what I have seen with them and theyre shoddy products and horrible customer service.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: my experience with magnum energy inverters

And on the other hand ....... ??
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about all the bad experiences. It is disheartening as Magnum has some good specifications. But if the quality isn't there ...

For what it's worth, there is a section call Solar Product Reviews & Opinions.

I'd expect to hear from Windsun on this, as NAWS carries Magnums and is not known to handle poor quality products. At least not for very long! :D
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

First of all, paragraphs are your friend.

We have been selling Magnum invertrers for years, and of the several hundred we have ha less than half a dozen ever come back for warranty or repairs. In fact, this is the first such bad review we have seen anyplace.

That leads me to believe there is some other factor at work in your situation. You did not say exactly what the problems were, so that is difficult to judge.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yes but they dont go back to you for repair, you are out of the loop it goes back to them. So how would you know how many have been defective? The returns have had nothing to do with the seller. And also you have sold 2 of the defective inverters I am refering to.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    numskull wrote: »
    Yes but they dont go back to you for repair, you are out of the loop it goes back to them. So how would you know how many have been defective? The returns have had nothing to do with the seller. And also you have sold 2 of the defective inverters I am refering to.

Do you have an invoice or order number for those?
  • Polychrest
    Polychrest Registered Users Posts: 17 ✭✭

For what it's worth, I've been using an MS 4024 for two years now without a problem (knock on wood). It isn't silent when it runs, but there's no constant "loud buzzing" like the OP cites. Sometimes, when it's been under a heavy load (our 1/2 hp 120-volt jet pump, for example), the cooling fans will come on for a couple of minutes, but they shut down quickly. I'd recommend this unit without reservation.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a lot of lightning around your area, maybe ?

It is normal for an inverter company to pay shipping one way when coming in for warranty. I suppose if there are unusual circumstances, then maybe something
    else could be worked out.

Did those inverters break when something was happening like a big load coming on or a generator going off or on ?

12V systems are a bit unusual for off grid applications too, but that doesn't mean they should be any less reliable.

boB
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I have installed probably 30 Magnums of different flavors. 2 in my personnel house. I have had 4 issues and all 4 magnum took care of 2 they sent me new boards to fix my self no shipping out of my pocket as there where call tags in the box. The other 2 where a faulty Remote (they sent a brand new one out with call tag for the old one) and a faulty battery monitor (they also sent a new one out with a call tag for the old one).

While I agree Magnum is a little tinnier and noisier than the competition they are also half the price and have the best battery charger in the industry. It sounds to me like there is either a string of bad luck or something funny going on 3 problems in a row at 1 sight? severely overloaded? under battery voltage do to cable loss?

I also wonder about 12vdc in an off grid situation cable losses and amperage's are going to be much more extreme I must admit in all my installs I have never done a 12vdc off grid system I have done 12vdc camp systems but all my off grid homes are 48vdc
  • boB

Maybe if we could see a picture of the install we might be able to help figure out what, if any, the problem might be. Or, at least we could offer a suggestion ?

boB
  • JESSICA
    JESSICA Solar Expert Posts: 289 ✭✭
    boB wrote: »
    Do you have a lot of lightning around your area, maybe ?

boB

boB:

Sadly, my almost new GO POWER SW 2000 just passed away (just 7 month old). Though it was/is a PIECE OF JUNK anyway, and I strongly recommend everybody NOT to buy a go power NEVER, when I read your post I wondered if it is possible that the big lightning bolt that hit my house about 2 month ago could have damaged the inverter and then, 2 month latter it broke completely?

[We talked about the lightning experience in another post (" Weird thing 2" )]

In other words: Is it possible that a lightning strike causes some damage to an inverter, but the inverter does not die inmediately but 1 or 2 months after?
  • Wilis
    Wilis Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭

I have a MS-AE 24v Magnum. I installed this system last Jan. It has works well. I use it to wash cloths, pump a 240v well pump and equalize my batteries. This was purchased from NAWS. It was their choice for my system. We will see how it works after a few years if it lasts that long. :roll:
  • boB
    JESSICA wrote: »
    boB:

In other words: Is it possible that a lightning strike causes some damage to an inverter, but the inverter does not die inmediately but 1 or 2 months after?

It's hard to say for sure in your exact situation, but I would not count that out.

There have been many times where I think I have "hurt" a unit by doing something stupid with high voltage or current or both and it has broken later on.

One thing that can happen is that high voltage can start a conductive path from one point to another on the PCB and next time high voltage comes along, it's easier for that to happen again, possibly catastrophically.

FETs too, can be hurt I believe, but in a different way.

So I wouldn't rule out a previous lightning strike (or near strike) to weaken a power device.

Happy Thanksgiving !!

boB
  • Cariboocoot

Stressed electrical components can fail prematurely. It's not always instantaneous. So a lightning strike nearby can cut years off the life of an inverter even though it's still working the next day.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In electronic assembly--ESD (electro-static discharge) for electronic components is a real concern. Many field failures have been (over the years) been isolated to ESD exposure during manufacturing.

"Stressed" electronic components can run for a while before they eventually have an early life failure.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • clnpwrman
    clnpwrman Registered Users Posts: 2

Reading your experiences with interest because I'm about to buy a Magnum inverter MMS1012G.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit or heard any news about it's reliability? It will be used in a fixed location, not mobile.

While your bad experiences have me concerned, this is a newly released model that has hopefully been improved. Also, your discusions of lightening induced power surges could explain some of your failures as I understand it. I have a whole house surge protector in the main panel, but they only protect up to a point.

The reason I selected this inverter is because it is the only one I could find with all the characteristics I'm looking for - except it would be nice if the efficiency was a bit better - but not a deal breaker. I was also impressed with all the information posted on the Magnum site. The only negative was that the technical or sales person I talked to regarding a couple of quick questions was not very friendly. But don't know if it was just an employee having a bad day or if it's a reflection of their company makeup.

Thanks
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have that inverter and it has been doing fine for me. i thought i had a problem with the inverter kicking out of standby, but it was a quark between the remote and the inverter. i just activate via the remote and all is fine. their tech was very concerned with my problem and tried to help and never did me wrong in pursuing the problem that lucky for me is resolved without the need to send it back. i am happy with it.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I purchased a magnum system in June 2011. I bought 3 inverters 4840pae , one had to be returned for a relay issue. Bmk now has failed. Me-arc has failed. Magnum has been helpful resolving the issues. But after my experience I'm wondering if I chose the right manufacturer. With all these service issues and warranty work will they remain financially solvent to handle warranty claims. I'll keep posting and let everyone know my outcome.
  • dsky
    dsky Registered Users Posts: 1

boy that's a sad story. I've installed well over 100 inverter systems using most known brands. Lived off grid for 43 years. All inverters can (and do) fail. Those cheap ones you get at a truck stop last about as long as it takes for you to plug in an inductive load. I used to see a lot of FET board meltdowns on the 12 volt Outback units, but never on a 24 volt. My XW inverter seemed to have a lot of bugs. I reloaded the firmware twice before it stopped giving me random erroneous error messages. I've installed mostly Magnum for the last 9 years, about 80 units, two failures so far, both 24 volt units (i install about 25% 12 volt units for legacy systems). I agree that the Magnum's are cheaply built, I don't love the J-boxes and the connection layout is terrible. Voltage regulation is pretty sloppy and they are much louder than Outback. I still don't know of a better unit (and they are really cheap) at any price. I switched to a 4024AE five years ago. It's been good, runs the compressor, welder, well pump and anything else I need. The lights flicker when the Staber washer is running, that's about the worst complaint I've got. The super duper charger is lost on me cuz I don't have a genny but oh well, not as if I paid extra for it.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    dsky wrote: »
    boy that's a sad story. I've installed well over 100 inverter systems using most known brands. Lived off grid for 43 years. All inverters can (and do) fail. Those cheap ones you get at a truck stop last about as long as it takes for you to plug in an inductive load. I used to see a lot of FET board meltdowns on the 12 volt Outback units, but never on a 24 volt. My XW inverter seemed to have a lot of bugs. I reloaded the firmware twice before it stopped giving me random erroneous error messages. I've installed mostly Magnum for the last 9 years, about 80 units, two failures so far, both 24 volt units (i install about 25% 12 volt units for legacy systems). I agree that the Magnum's are cheaply built, I don't love the J-boxes and the connection layout is terrible. Voltage regulation is pretty sloppy and they are much louder than Outback. I still don't know of a better unit (and they are really cheap) at any price. I switched to a 4024AE five years ago. It's been good, runs the compressor, welder, well pump and anything else I need. The lights flicker when the Staber washer is running, that's about the worst complaint I've got. The super duper charger is lost on me cuz I don't have a genny but oh well, not as if I paid extra for it.

It seems the voltage regulation issue is very apparent with washing machines, I saw this for myself on a 4448PAE last week. Yikes. Take a look @ the Schneider Conext SW series, they are built like a tank for a great price.
  • Cariboocoot
    DMJ72 wrote: »
    Take a look @ the Schneider Conext SW series, they are built like a tank for a great price.

Providing you can escape/ignore all the issues with them. Read the forum and see what I mean.
  • DMJ72
    DMJ72 Solar Expert Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Providing you can escape/ignore all the issues with them. Read the forum and see what I mean.

Yep, and remember the firmware issues Dapdan had? the fan would not turn off. I hope they fix the stacking issues. :( I have a Conext Sw 4024 and it works well for me so far.

Back on topic .. As far as Magnum Inverters go, as with everything it depends on who you talk to. Our most easterly parish is Magnum country as it handles the salt air the best (thats what they say). People out there love their Magnum inverters, and they need to as when we have a hurricane that Parish is usually the last to have electricity restored.
  • Lewis
    Lewis Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1
    I have a stand alone battery monitor with generator start (ME-AGS-S) and can't get Magnum to do anything on it.  There is poor documentation for this, at best, but after struggling many times to get it set up, over months, I had it working, for 2 days, then it quit.  They can't explain why it won't trigger a start when the battery voltage drops to where it should send the start signal.  I had one lady work with me today, then we lost our phone connection.  She emailed me back for what to try, I didn, emailed her, asked her to call me back.  I called back (no emails back from her), waited 45 minutes, they transfered me to her, voicemail.  What do you think the chances are she'll call back?  I bought Magnum because people told me they were top notch.  I'm putting this out there to let people no they are not, in my opinion.  I'll probably have to start all over again after fighting with them for months.
  • Niki
    Niki Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Wow something is defenatly wrong here.  Lots more info and pictures may reveal the true cause.  I bought a 12 v 4.0 when they first came out for a promotional price and it’s still working fine after 10+ years although the remote is crappy and has poor resolution and accuracy at low power levels.  I just use it as a portable generator in my Kawasaki Mule and as a loaner for folks as 12 volts IMO is a poor choice for a dwelling.  
    High currents, very little voltage tolerance, and other things make this so.
    Im wondering if it could be getting subjected to high dc voltage spikes due to poor charger issues, a bad battery, flakey connections or a combination of the above.

many times I’ve been contacted by a customer that complained about random inverter shut downs and found loose or poorly connected battery cables or a battery with an internal fault causing it to go high impedance.  I always recommend using (NO-OX-ID Special A)
    conductive grease between all battery and electrical and breaker buss connections when first installed for a lifetime of very low connection problems, super low resistance and corrosion free battery connections.  It will do little good unless installed when everything is like new and clean and must be on the internal conductive surfaces so the electrons flow THROUGH THE GREASE.  I know this sounds counter intuitive but it really works and has been used religiously by the phone company, industrial power plants and many others for the last 60 years or so.  It’s the way to go for sure IMO but must be used as recommended by the mfg which means not smeared on the outside of the connection but the actual copper or lead  surface must be coated entirely before assemble. C and D, Exide GNB and many others would include a can with every shipment of industrial FLA batteries and insist on its use. G E and Westinghouse put it on all their knife switch blades before shipping the product.  
    Feel free to google the product and read the hundreds of reviews if in doubt.
    Niki
  • boB
    >>>>> I called back (no emails back from her), waited 45 minutes, they transfered me to her, voicemail. 
    >>>>> What do you think the chances are she'll call back?

That is probably Mary and I'm pretty sure that she likes what she does and takes some pride in that. 

So, my bet is that she calls you back.   :)

boB

• billybob9
    billybob9 Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I saw a youtube video where a man was charging an EV with two 160w panels a Magna sine Inverter and a unknown EV charger. The Magna 4024 is a 24vdc but will support a 240vac output. Seem kind of silly to take dc from panels, invert it to ac, then charge a dc battery but that's life. I was going to recommend this as an option to a friend instead of going full blown on a Grid tied system but now I don't know if I should even mention it at all. Is this the only way an EV can be charged ?
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019 #27
    billybob9 said:
    I saw a youtube video where a man was charging an EV with two 160w panels a Magna sine Inverter and a unknown EV charger. The Magna 4024 is a 24vdc but will support a 240vac output. Seem kind of silly to take dc from panels, invert it to ac, then charge a dc battery but that's life. I was going to recommend this as an option to a friend instead of going full blown on a Grid tied system but now I don't know if I should even mention it at all. Is this the only way an EV can be charged ?
    You might start a new thread  on this topic.

While the sun is shining, it wouldn't be awful. Assuming the battery bank was topped off, the magnum  4024  is above 90% efficient.  Of course 320 watts of  array, producing perhaps 260 watts an  hour at  solar noon, is  adding maybe  3-4 miles of  range a day to an  electric vehicle. The best EV's use 300  watt hours per mile.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    I think Photowhit made a typo... 300 Watt*Hours per mile for efficient electric vehicles (that is the lower number I have seen in the past too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I  went ahead and corrected it, here's a list of some of the better ones, I was impressed with how well designed the EV1 was. I had seen something about how well it was designed from an aerodynamic stand point.

https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/kwh-evcars-gizmos.html

Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Nakinto
    Nakinto Registered Users Posts: 1
    OP-TLDR: I want to whine about something, waaaa. 
    Ask for any kind of information, nothing given. The first thing I think when I saw the post was this waffle is putting 4KW on a 2KW inverter... "off grid house"... that implies a fridge, fans, lights the whole shabang... but 2kw will NOT support that, heck 2 KW will barely do the fridge startup! (and the 2012 is a 240 AC, 1kw on each rail...) Ya, a fridge alone will fry that poor inverter... OP sounds like they have NO clue about how electricity works and "the 4KW had a loud buzz" ya, that is the 60hz electricity it is producing... the higher the wattage the louder that buzz is going to get. Pretty sure this person has caused some electrical fires too, with electrical knowledge of this caliber.  
  • LeeJustice
    LeeJustice Registered Users Posts: 1
    That was 10+ years ago...