if you were buying a couple of 6 volt batts

Options
ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
for a 300 watt backup inverter setup 12v .....what would you buy ...???and if you lived in MT/Wy
(shipping)???

Comments

• Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: if you were buying a couple of 6 volt batts

Depends on the number of hours you expect the inverter to deliver power to an, as yet, unspecified load.

Not knowing the exact requirement/expectation, I'll suggest a single 100AH 12v battery. Maybe run a small TV and a light for a few hours.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What do you plan to run with it, and recharge it with ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not to be repetitive, but tell us your loads.

Suggesting a battery with out knowing the loads is like,, well you know, make up your own analogy!

Tony
  • ws9876
    Options

it will run 2 lights cf
    1 TV 100 watts
    and 1 laptop using 15 watts
    for about 1-2 days

I am thinking AGM
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ws9876 wrote: »
    it will run 2 lights cf
    1 TV 100 watts
    and 1 laptop using 15 watts
    for about 1-2 days

I am thinking AGM

Uh, it's more like this:

2 13W CFL's - for how long per day?
    1 100W TV - for how long per day?
    1 15 W Laptop - for how long per day?

Otherwise you're trying to calculate without necessary info; the actual hours use per day. You might end up with 141 Watts * 24 hours = 3.3 kW hours, which is unlikely to be what you actually need because you won't be running everything continuously all day.

I would not by AGM type batteries unless you need the "safety" factor of the sealed units. Why? Because this is a first system and mistakes are likely to be made. Standard FLA deep cycles (like golf cart batteries) are more "forgiving" of mistakes and don't cost as much per Amp hour.
  • cfcw
    cfcw Solar Expert Posts: 25
    Options

I bought my golf cart batteries at the local Sam's club. Costco also has them. They are about $75.00 each
  • icarus
    Options

2 15 watt cfl for 2 hours = 60 watt/hours (wh)
    100 watt TV for 2 hours= 200 wh
    Laptop 15 watts for 2 hours= 30 wh. (Does it only draw 15 watts?)

Total load 290 wh/day, assuming your figures are correct.

290 wh= ~ 23 amp hours @ 12 vdc

If you only wish to draw your battery down 25%, you should look for a battery in the 100ah range. A pair of golf cart batteries would be about 250 ah.

That said, I think you are underestimating your loads. I suspect that your Lap top draws closer to 60 watts, and the TV might be closer to 150. Do you have a Kill-a-watt meter to confirm your loads?

Tony

PS I don't know too much about AGMs, but consider the price comparison carefully given what you expect to do with them. I also suggest you read the following links.
    http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries
    http://www.batteryfaq.org/
  • ws9876
    Options

i do have a kiil watt lap is 15-20 tv is 95 tv 5 hrs lap 4 hrs lites 6 hrs..
    what about Crown ??? 200 ah
  • icarus
    Options

I would buy a pair of reasonable quality golf cart batteries, Trojan or something similar, that you can find relatively cheap at the discount store. Then you have to have a way to keep them fully charged, ideally with a 3 stage charger with temperature correction like an IOTA or a Xantrex TC series.

Tony
  • ws9876
    Options

I heard Trojan had gone downhill, at least awhile back. I heard Crown was now better. Yes.???no???
    Anyone in Salt Lake city know of a good source there...?? I go there every few months...