confused about solar water pumping for domestic use

tomN
tomN Registered Users Posts: 7
i am thinking about putting in a solar water pump system for my residential and garden use. i have a 2" well 30' deep and the water table is aproximately at 20'. i am thinking of putting in a shurflo 5.7 gpm pump whisper king 10 amp @65psi, a35g pressure tank 1 123 watt solar panel and 12 deep cycle battery. the verticle run would be no more than 200' is this overkill or do i need a larger panel:confused:

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: confused about solar water pumping for domestic use

65 PSI will lift the water about !~ 130 vertical feet TOTAL with MAYBE 1 psi of delivery pressure.

So if you have to go 200 feet vertical you need a bigger pump...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • tomN

sorry about that i meant 200' horizontal
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

If your water is 20 foot down, very unlikely that most pumps can suck it up that high from the well.
  • tomN

that would mean that i would have to use a motorized pitcher pump then?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

or a submersible, in the borehole, pump.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    i have a 2" well 30' deep
    I don't think a submersible will work in a 2 inch well
  • westbranch

I am not sure where you got the 65 PSI and 10 amp but the spec sheet

http://www.shurflo.com/files/RV-Product-Data-Sheets/Classic-Series-Pumps/Whisper%20King%20Pump%20-%20pds-2093-204-113.pdf

only shows 30 psi and a priming lift of 9 feet. meanig it can only suck water UP 9 feet.

Eric

ps never heard of a 2 inch bore hole for a well.. most are 6 inch for domestic and the submersible pump used would be about 4 inch in diameter.

ej

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • tomN

downhere in the sunny south it is very common to have a 2" well for residential use and normally you don't have to go to far to get water. i live about 18 miles from the coast and this is the pump that i was thinking of extreme series smart pump5.7 from shurflo product # 5900-0201
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

2" or 2.25" well casings are pretty common for windmills. They are also usually pretty old, since many states have required at least a 6" bore for several decades for new wells unless specifically for a windmill. Nearly all new wells around here - even for windmills - use a 6" bore and drop a 2.25" casing in it for windmills.
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    at least a 6" bore for several decades for new wells unless specifically for a windmill
    Where I live 6 inch bore and casing is most common, but I have seen some 4 inch bores with casing. There are several submersible pumps that are 3 inches and will ork in a 4 inch casing.
  • westbranch

Tom, it doesn't look like that one is self priming, ie it has to have its supply at the same level as the pump, like in an RV.

eric

• benthere
    benthere Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I also have a two-inch well casing and the only suitable pumps I have found for it are reciprocating windmill types. Air lift is another option.

There are some environmental sampling pumps that would fit, but I've spoken to some people about them and they don't think they would cut it for domestic duty.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Try the environmental sampling pump, pump into a holding tank (large) and then pump with a booster pump. the Environmental pumps are cheap, so give it a try.

Tony
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

2" wells are very common here in the South, especially around this part of Texas. A shallow well jet pump (at sea level) should be able to suck water from 25'.

This is what I have been looking at :

http://sunpumps.com/ProductsClient.aspx?ProductChildNodeId=241&ProductChildNodeText=Centrifugal%20Surface%20Pumps&SeriesID=119

I might have an answer for you soon. I would also like to investigate using a std. pump/motor with an inverter, but I think the inverter will push the cost out of reach.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    tomN wrote: »
    downhere in the sunny south it is very common to have a 2" well for residential use and normally you don't have to go to far to get water. i live about 18 miles from the coast and this is the pump that i was thinking of extreme series smart pump5.7 from shurflo product # 5900-0201

But you said water table was 20' down from ground level.

It is the water table level that counts, not the depth of the well collector tip.

You might get by with a well side priming injection and a check valve at the top. The prime water amount depends on how fast the water disperses at well point.

I remember my father had a well with about a 18' water table. He rigged an old insect sprayer (like a thin bicycle pump) to pull enough vacuum to bring water up to pump. Had to prime it if it was not used for greater then several months.