How to get the most amp hour from your battery bank

2»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin
    Yes, your wiring is identical to the Smartgauge example. Assuming that that cable lengths are "matched", it is a acceptable method of parallel (series parallel in your case) battery bank wiring.

Next time you buy batteries... Looking for larger AH batteries So you can have fewer parallel connections would be nice. I personally suggest that having 3 or fewer parallel connections is better. Fewer individual batteries, fewer electrical connections, and a bit less to go wrong.

For flooded cell batteries, it is also fewer battery cells to check electrolyte levels too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KC_Seven said:
    But with exception of the of my project being series-parallel, 6v to 12v, isn’t the scheme I posted above IDENTICAL to “smartgage Method 4” example? What am I missing here? 
    Yes, you are correct.

I would suggest stacked connections, particularly with Flooded batteries, is a 'non-starter' for me.  If you do this be sure to clean and seal the connects as well as you can. Check them often for oxidation. Every connection is a potential failing point. double and triple stacked have even greater potential for problems. 
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i suppose it is the equivalent, just drawn differently.  As long as each battery sees the same length to the inverter & charger

Crimping - with the large cables, you will need a 20ton hydraulic crimper.  Cannot be done safely with manual or hammer style crimper.
    Sandwich the battery lugs between the cable lugs, don't stack all the cables on one side of the battery flag terminal

w-B-w-w     not  w-w-w-B

Use stainless bolts nuts and spring washers. use anti-size on the threads.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,