Thoughts on the new coronavirus?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Unyalli,

You can change your profile notifications and stop notifications from threads you posted in. And manually mark as favorite just threads you want emails on.

Or I can delete your couple of comments and leave all else the same.

Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • unyalli
    unyalli Solar Expert Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Thank you
  • BB.
    You are very welcome...

And here is the link (I think it works for everyone) that lets you fine tune your general notifications (under Edit Profile):

https://forum.solar-electric.com/profile/preferences/

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    What is old, is new again... Blood plasma transfusions from "recovering" patients (maybe?):

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-classic-therapy-from-the-1890s-could-help-protect-against-coronavirus-experts-say

In a new paper, infectious disease experts explain how viral antibodies, contained in the blood serum of patients who have already recovered from the new coronavirus, could then be injected into other people, offering them short-term protection.

This long-established medical remedy – called passive antibody therapy – dates back to the late 19th century, and was widely used during the 20th century to help stem outbreaks of measles, polio, mumps, and influenza.

Much as it aided us before, it could be a crucial and practical tool now in the fight against COVID–19, a team from Johns Hopkins University argues in the new study, adding that antibody therapies can also be made available with urgency.

"Deployment of this option requires no research or development," says immunologist Arturo Casadevall.

-Bill
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭✭
    That strikes me as a common sense defensive measure. Common sense has been de facto illegal, at worst, or marginalized, at best, by a self styled omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient force that some would call Ingsoc. I suspect they will shut almost everything down but the checkout lines that force hundreds of people to closely congregate while swapping air and bacteria. Result - economic Armageddon. A debt based fiat economy has no seat belt or air bag. The stock market has lost 30% of its value already. Is the end in sight? We used most of our bullets in 2008 then failed to address the underlying issue. 

Call me a pessimist. I could be wrong. There is that. 

First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The stock market has lost more before, many times in history. It has always recovered nicely.

If one is patient, they still own the shares they will be rewarded. It is the basic part of being a balanced & diversified investor.

Up here in the Sierra we are digging out from the snow and happy that the state legislature has decided to stay home for a month. :)
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• softdown
    There is a broker in my FB community. We have recently recorded the #3 and #5 biggest daily sell offs in our history. '29 happened without shutting everything down. Right now it appears they are in the process of shutting everything down. For example: https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-amazon-suspends-all-non-essential-shipments-to-warehouses-2020-3?op=1

But I'm glad to see optimism here and there. Good chance they will be right. Good chance otherwise. 

Legislature staying home is usually a good thing, Especially in California. Talk about a state that had everything - and then some. 

Our esteemed governor just shut down all the restaurants and bars. I could see reactions like this if people were expiring in record numbers. I'm one who believes that most people will catch the virus sooner or later, it is a matter of time. All of my clients are restaurants - of course I am negative. Their aquariums still need service - so how does this work? 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    We will see.. San Francisco California Bay Area is doing a shelter in place via the county governments and health department.

Local mall is buttoned up. Restaurants have to close or do food to go. Bars and entertainment businesses closed.

Services like plumbers, auto repair, Banks as well as markets open. Can leave home for walks, maybe...

Bill
  • softdown
    Vit D uptake via sun exposure doubles ones resistance to such things according to published studies. I have recently posted the link to the expert who talks about this. 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2020 #41
    It is all for the good. If they can avoid overwhelming the hospitals, they can buy time. That is the main urgency, I am told.
    20 countries running programs for vaccines.

We have a Triage tent outside our small rural hospital.

I am sure your broker knows the market was up around 30% last year.

My guy invested 20K in 1988. It was up 3,726% before covid19. So, now it is only up about 3,700% based on S&P500 as I write.

I cleaned off my workbench for the first time in 3 years. Kind of nice to not be able to go anywhere ;)

• softdown
    edited March 2020 #42
    Avoiding overwhelming the hospitals is a sound argument. To be fair I don't think hardly anyone really knows exactly what to think. Here is the expert that I follow:
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 #43
    I am seeing a huge increase in private party battery sales. They all insist that they need their batteries yesterday. Folks are calling and asking about delivery time first instead of price.
    I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • clockmanfran
    clockmanfran Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill and others for your concern.

My opinion Bill, don't send any of your family to Europe until this time next year.

We are both feeling better thank  you.

4 days ago my 13 year old was having problems breathing properly, but again not sufficient for medical folk to come and get him, said our doctors surgery in our local town. "WE wont test unless your hospitalized, unless your a Politian or a medical worker", The doctors surgery are struggling just to answer the phone.

We are in lockdown and the armed police and armed military are patrolling our countryside around us and we are not supposed to leave our property.  According to my son they are circling us he saw 2 police cars yesterday evening looking suspicious.

I have to fill a form out to go shopping, and present the form if stopped if no form or paper work then i get fined.  Although the local town supermarkets had absolutely No stock on the shelves yesterday. But my shop ladies had put my normal provisions out just for me, bless them! 

What surprised me was that in a small town you get to know what the locals are, but everywhere i looked yesterday there were strangers, but looking in the carparks at the registration plates it seems all the city folk have debunked to the countryside and rented properties etc.

Lorries are not being stopped but hardly any cars on the roads.

The past 10 years have seen a phenomenal rise of tourist from China doing the Grand Tour in Europe. In Northern Italy there are 10's of thousands of oriental visitors in Venice, Rome, Tuscany etc. A few years ago i couldn't move in Venice just so busy.

It only takes a few contaminated Chinese tourist to spread the virus amongst the shop staff, Waiters/ hotel staff, bus drivers etc. 

Everything is possible, just give me Time.

The OzInverter man. Normandy France.

3off Hugh P's 3.7m dia wind turbines, (12 years running).  ... 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 years) .... 14kW PV AC coupled using Used/second hand GTI's, on my OzInverter created Grid, and back charging with the AC Coupling and OzInverter to my 48v 1300ah batteries. 

• softdown
    Watched a 40 minute doc on the 1918 flu. That was, guessing here, ten times worse from a medical perspective. But it mutated and hit three times, the second wave being the worst by far and hitting in September and October which is bizarre for the flu.

We are reacting hundreds of times more aggressively this time compared to the 1918/1919 epidemic. It remains to be seen if this is prudent. The 1918 flu killed more than WWI and WWII combined. Interesting that WWI troop movements contributed greatly to the spread of the contagion. Initially we ignored the virus and concentrated on the war effort - until the price became unbearable. The spread during the gigantic Philadelphia fund raising parade was horrific.

I think the 1918 flu took a global toll of 3%. That would present a truly staggering figure with today's population.

This pandemic is opposite in critical ways. The 1918 could kill within a day of contact and mostly hit healthy 20-40 year old's. It was actually the immune response of a healthy person that basically killed by drowning in lung fluid produced while fighting the infection.

We are hundreds of times more medically advanced now and while the contagion is severe - it is, at this time, mild compared to 1918. I fear the economic Armageddon may prove worse than the contagion. Plus I don't believe people in developed economies are nearly as tough as they used to be.
  • BB.
    Clockman,

Glad to hear that you folks are getting better...

It is pretty amazing here too... The freeways look like Sunday early morning traffic right in the middle of commute times (not much in the way of cars). Last few days, people have been cleaning out stores of anything prep like (paper products, rice, beans, frozen foods, etc.). And the 6 Bay Area counties have done the self isolation and "non-critical" businesses have been told to shut down.

Still not a lot of infections or deaths in the area yet--Hopefully that continues.

And, out of France:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

The World Health Organization recommended Tuesday that people suffering COVID-19 symptoms avoid taking ibuprofen, after French officials warned that anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen effects of the virus.

The warning by French Health Minister Veran followed a recent study in The Lancet medical journal that hypothesised that an enzyme boosted by anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen could facilitate and worsen COVID-19 infections.

Asked about the study, WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told reporters in Geneva the UN health agency's experts were "looking into this to give further guidance."

"In the meantime, we recommend using rather paracetamol, and do not use ibuprofen as a self-medication. That's important," he said.

He added that if ibuprofen had been "prescribed by the healthcare professionals, then, of course, that's up to them."

His comments came after Veran sent a tweet cautioning that the use of ibuprofen and similar anti-inflammatory drugs could be "an aggravating factor" in COVID-19 infections.

"In the case of fever, take paracetamol," he wrote.

In the USA, paracetamol is better known as Acetaminophen or Tylenol (for pain).

At this point, probably past the Asian contaminated tourist--But anyone that is traveling a lot, or feels that they have to go to work even if not feeling well is probably the greater risk (or we had folks that knew to self quarantine after returning from COVID impacted areas, but still went out for entertainment).

So far, no police enforcement of any quarantine in our area (or anywhere in the States--That I am aware of--Other than the odd person or two that left a hospital COVID positive, and went to store and shoplifted, etc.).

In California, we have the large homeless encampments in some of the big cities (SF area, Los Angeles, area)--No COVID seen there yet (again, that I am aware of). Wonder what will happen. Already other major diseases seen over the last year or so in that population, plus a little spreading to others in the area:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/06/04/typhoid-fever-typhus-tuberculosis-are-l-a-s-medieval-diseases-coming-to-your-city

I don't think that any tourist will be going on major travel now... United airlines just cut flight capacity by 50%. And others have cut international flights by more.

-Bill
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2020 #47
    The  CA homeless are going into hotels according to the Gov last night. This should be interesting.

My sister and her husband have been on business travel in London. They are coming back Thursday. There are only 13 airports that can screen and so they have to go to Dallas first. Then after ? of time travel to Denver where there home is near.

The national park Yosemite, up my road 140 is a ghost town. Great time for a drive Bill to see the waterfalls. You do not even have to get out of the car....

Seeing some of that here Marc. People want it now. I do not let it get that busy. The old saying busier it gets, the slower I go is the motto.

• BB.
    Have to take care of my in-laws for now... No out of town traveling.

And watch out for "get the heck out of town" vacations--Some of the various National (and state?) parks are starting to shutdown too.

Would I like to go to Yosemite now Dave, yes I would. Just lots of day to day life stuff has kept us pretty homebound (plus canceling trip to Taiwan last month due to COVID concerns).

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2020/03/updated-national-park-closures-related-covid-19

-Bill
  • softdown
    There was a lot of built in support at DJIA 20,000 which produced the see saw for a few days. Now that is pierced I am told there may be no more support until 14,000. https://money.cnn.com/data/markets/dow/

Our economy is designed like a high performance race engine designed to eek out every last horsepower, every last penny of GDP. Guess we may see how it performs off trail during a storm. 

Anybody want to buy my Denver home? With my accounts closed by government fiat there isn't any reason to keep it. They will not re-open until there is financial blood coursing through the streets I suspect. 
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mom put in $150K from the sale of her last rental into her Vanguard account, the Friday before the big swings. She mailed a check, Entered at $27,000 she's a bit disappointed, but she's been in the market a long time and has done well and understand the risks. She's more concerned at 85 with COPD and BF at 94 next month that they don't need to fool with this. We are welcome to call, but we will not be going to see them.

My friends private lab is doing much of the testing in Central Missouri. It will be interesting to see how the numbers change as we get a higher volume of testing done.

I had heard the warning on Ibuprofen I had assorted things around the house, really an 'anti drug' guy, but ibuprofen is my go to pain killer. Next time out, I'll pick up some Acetaminophen if available. Lots of people with little to no symptoms is the scary thing. 4 days after testing positive Jazz's Point guard Mitchell said. "If you were to tell me you have to play in a seven-game series tomorrow, I'm ready to lace 'em up." and is/was asymptomatic.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dave Angelini
    She still owns the shares and depending on what type of fund she will just have to wait it out. There is a Vanguard ginnie mae fund
    VFIX that actually goes up in these times and is the only government mortgage fund that is 100% backed by U Sam.

I know what you mean about ibuprofen. Since I started taking Turmeric I have not needed it for 2 years now.

• softdown
    I've read that testing has an 80% false positive ratio. Not surprised he is likely not infected at all. Between that and the high similarities to pneumonia, our numbers may be way off. 
  • softdown
    Feeling down? Coolest video ever? Or most Russian video ever? https://www.reddit.com/r/Weird/comments/fijvji/guys_got_a_bear_hanging_with_him/
  • softdown
    Once again it definitely appears that chloroquine is our best bet, to date, for the infected. If you know someone who is infected you can gain more data here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AToF8O5T86s

Chloroquine was previously discussed due to demonstrable success. Episode 35 - as memory serves. Could be wrong. 
    Chloroquine is a famous malaria medicine by the way. Goes by other names in other countries? Possible. 
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's been no "official" accuracy statement about the CV19 test, and from the wild infected/clear/infected results, I suspect it's not great.

I'm on the east coast, visiting with my folks since the 5th, and expecting to return to california on the 29th.  Maybe.  2 hour bus to the Logan airport, 6 hours in the air, and another 3 hour bus halfway to home.  Will I make it ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Marc Kurth
    edited March 2020 #56
    softdown said:
    Vit D uptake via sun exposure doubles ones resistance to such things according to published studies. I have recently posted the link to the expert who talks about this. 

As you said earlier: There are a lot experts out there.

• BB.
    At the present time, the cost of gasoline has dropped by almost $0.40 per gallon--No gas lines, so fuel availability is not a problem.

And planes have been flying 1/2 empty. Schedule changes, reducing flights/trips as passenger loads fall, etc. are going to make the trip and timing/connections a bit less sure. Carrying food and water/drinks, assuming that you may have to cool your heels, will make the trip less stressful.

That leaves the driving up to Greyhound (or whomever you are taking). Buses/mass transit has not been directly limited by the new government shutdown orders... But, for example, the local CalTrain (commuter rail from SF to San Jose) has cut all of the "baby bullet" (express/limited--roughly 20% of the schedule?) trains a couple days ago due to reduction in passengers taking the train.

IF (a big IF) there is a COVID passenger on the bus, I would take all the precautions you can (mask, gloves, wearing glasses/avoiding contacts, washing hands), the chances of it spreading is pretty good (Chinese long haul buses have cameras--So this was an interesting example of possible spreading):

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

Lots of what I have read said that airborn from people coughing and sneezing was a major spreader... My brother (taking paramedic/ambulance training as a retirement/service to the community) says that "his people" are telling him is contact with surfaces (to hands to face) that is the big spreader (COVID can remain active for 9+ hours on surfaces)... So gloves/washing hands was the important break in spreading (of course, somebody sneezing in your face is not a good thing).

Even if you don't like/have rubber gloves, just any sort of work glove is helpful--Keeps you from absentmindedly touching your face/eyes/mouth during the trip.

Watch the politicians (news), they are making this stuff up as we go along... what they will do in 10 days, is anybody's guess.

And have a safe trip Mike. And hope your parents are doing well.

-Bill
  • Marc Kurth
    I filled all of my gas tanks for $1.83 per gallon today. Between my boat tanks, my trucks, car and all of my portables, I am good to go for a good while. The 5-gallon cans, the generators, and one truck got doses of Stabil. The 24 gallons in the boat never has a chance to get old!
    While I was filling the last of the 5-gallon portables, I intentionally went into slow motion and studied every single move that I made. This was a huge eye opener in terms of all that I touched during the process. Try it!

• BB.
    edited March 2020 #59
    My wife was reading that pumping gas is a vector too (virus on nozzle handle)... Using something to protect your hands there is highly recommended.

-Bill
  • softdown
    I am seeing several disconnects in logic to date. Guessing, of course, and doing my best to stay abreast of ongoing developments:

1) 1918 flu had a 2.5 % fatality rate. C-19 is at 2.3%. This makes no sense at all given that the 1918 was multiples more virulent and medical knowledge and technology and medicine is light years ahead of 1918/1919. Plus the huge percentage of false positives should make the C-19 fatality rate much lower. 
    2) There is no science based "test" for C-19. They ask questions and assess based on answers. C-19 symptoms are the same as many other illnesses. Of course the false positive rate is huge. So why is the fatality rate so comparatively high given all the false positives?
    3) A highly virulent (deadly) strain of C-19 would help explain the disconnects. Italy and Iran seem to be experiencing an epidemic of the most virulent strain. For the majority of C-19 sufferers their discomfort is relatively minor. Common flu progressing into lethal pneumonia kills millions every year. I strongly suspect that many "C-19 fatalities" actually succumbed to the common flu progressing into lethal pneumonia. The mechanisms with which C-19 proves fatal is highly similar to lethal pneumonia. 
    4) We have a lot of weakened people dependent on aggressive medical treatment to stay alive. Those people are prime risks for lethal C-19. Which helps explain the high fatality rate of C-19. 

The good news is that we can all rejoice in the profound wisdom of our legislatures (I've got my share of the smart ass gene). Forcing people to stay indoors effectively halves their resistance to many virulent pathogens according to previous studies. 

Engineered or naturally occurring? The end game is likely the same. The end of cash and mandatory vaccines tracked and enforced by AI. The replacement of small business by giant mega-corporations such as Amazon. An increase in the lower tier of a Hunger Games pyramid scenario with more power and control accrued to the rich technocrats at the top. 

What you can do to lower risk when out in public:
    1) Wash hands frequently. Mine get very dry and I may wish for a germicide at times.
    2) A mouth mask should reduce the inhalation of airborne vapors birthed by sneezing and talking. I would probably not wear one yet unless I had C-19 but that's just me. 
    3) Eye protection may help remind you not to rub your eyes. Something we all do without thinking about it. Why do we rub our eyes anyway?
    4) Gloves - I prefer nitrile gloves which can actually improve musco-skeletal hand operations due to improved grip. 100 nitrile gloves costs about $8 and they store for years. As opposed to latex gloves which quickly fall apart after package opening.
    5) Social distancing. They recommend 6' for safety. 

I am no pulmonologist. These are simply my findings and theories to date. 
  • Dave Angelini
    edited March 2020 #61
    Safe Travels Mike. My wife in the ER said they changed surgical masks every 20 minutes or when being exposed to the unknown. They did this often in Triage practice or surgery.

Q: What is the difference between an N95 respirator and a dust or surgical mask?

A: N95 respirators are tested and certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) to ensure they filter at least 95% of airborne particles.

Dust masks and surgical masks cannot offer a sufficient level of protection from particles during wildfire conditions or the cleanup process. Surgical masks are primarily designed to prevent biological particles from being expelled by the wearer into the environment.

Q: Will a wet towel or bandana provide any help?

A: A wet towel or bandana may stop large particles, but not the fine, small ones that can get into the lungs and cause respiratory problems.

Q: Will wearing an N95 respirator make it hard to breathe normally?

A: N95 respirators may make breathing more difficult and lead to increased breathing and heart rates. Individuals with heart and respiratory conditions should check with their doctor before wearing an N95 respirator.

Q. Are N95 respirators hard to put on?

A. No, but it's important to make sure the mask is sealed against the face. To put it on, hold the respirator in the palm of your hand with the straps facing the floor. Place the N95 respirator on the face covering the nose and mouth. Pull the bottom strap up and over top of the head, to the back of the head and below the ears. Take the upper strap and pull it up so it rests on the crown of the head. Use your hands to snug the nose piece of the respirator to the bridge of the nose and around all edges for a tight seal. Check to ensure there is a good seal against the skin.

Q. How long can an N95 respirator be worn?

N95 respirators should be worn for a maximum of eight hours and should be replaced regularly. 

Q. Under what circumstances should I NOT wear an N95 respirator?

A. In the following situations, for the following reasons:

• N95 respirators do not provide oxygen so they should never be worn in a confined space with low oxygen levels.
    • N95 respirators have no effect in an atmosphere containing toxic levels of gases or vapors.
    • N95 respirators should not be used in certain industrial applications such as asbestos removal, sandblasting or painting.

Q. What about storing an N95 respirator?

A. Store N95 respirators in a clean environment to protect them from damage, contamination, dust, sunlight, extreme temperatures, and damaging chemicals. Proper storage will also prevent deformation of the respirator.

Q: What is the shelf life of an N95 respirator?

A: The standard shelf life of N95 respirators is a maximum of five years from production date and if it has been stored in the original packaging. Storage conditions can also affect shelf life.

Q. What does the N in N95 stand for?

A. Particulate respirators and cartridges are classified by NIOSH into three classifications, N, R, and P.