Best charging technic

Options
2»

Comments

• wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi bill, I have a insulated box with a 60 watt build under the generator and I turn it on with a lite switch from the house 30 min before I head out to start the genarator but it just doesn’t seem to help much , I’ll dig up 100 watt bulb this week  thanks for the reply john 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd estimate that 100 watt bulb will need a couple hours to really get her done. Too bad about the untimely energy usage. In fact, I'd favor a propane heater for ~1/2 hour instead. 

Perhaps your home has a heater exhaust pipe that could be directed to the genset.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe an upside down ice chest over the generator would hold some heat in ?  Or a big foam box ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wellbuilt
    Options
    Mike I have a foam box over the genarator with a 10”10” hole in the bottom of the bench . 
     The Honda still seams very cold on start up .

Soft I guess I could Try 2 hours , even put the light on a timer to go on at 6 off at 8 . 
     I’ve been thinking about propain also , I have a few small heaters . Little buddy heater looks good . 
      I just don’t like the idea of flame / fire blowing on a genarator.   
      I’ve never used any other type of heat but wood . 
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I use a propane heater to heat up the genshed, but that's for a diesel.  My little honda eu2000i is near impossible to start at freezing or below so I bring it in the cabin to warm up, which takes at least a couple hours.  I'd be pretty nervous using the propane heater on the gas genny.

I've thought about getting a stick-on electric block heater pad for it.  Ideally it would go inside the case under the motor but I don't know if there's room.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is 2019 and we seem to have no way to safely remove snow from roof mounted panels. Something wrong with that picture.

We all have heat sources around our generators. The idea is to leave enough space to be safe. I heat my body with propane and have yet to get burned because I leave enough space. 

Trying to heat a 0F genset with a light bulb vs a real heater - think I'd lean towards safely using the  heater. Relax Ingsoc - I said safely. No need to send a report to the Innner Circle. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I reserve the right to draw the circle and decide what is inside or outside said circle.

Bill :p B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Options
    EST my honda is frame mounted, there is no case  I think the pad would help the Motor but the whole unit feels frozen when start it .

Soft  I’m not worried about getting to close and lighting it on fire , I’m Concerned with the gas vapor 
      That’s nasty stuff . 

My little Honda starts when it’s cold . It just Dosent like it .
     Last year I was carrying the unit inside  at night   But that was getting old .
      I ran the unit under the porch roof  but it snows/rains sideways here I get a deep snow drift under the porch when the winter ramps up .
     I went home for 3 days and I had 8 “ of snow to plow today .
      The panels are under 12” of snow now but it looks like rain Monday and Tuesday 
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > 2019 and we seem to have no way to safely remove snow from roof mounted panels.

Isn't mounting the panels vertically effective (although perhaps not convenient)?

I'd use a foot warming rubber heating mat under the generator, all of it in an airtight, thick foam box.  

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• BoFuller
    BoFuller Solar Expert Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I had that same question, about whether to charge a little bit each day or go for every other day. My panels are on the roof (security reasons) and being over 30 ft up, it is unrealistic to try and clear them. FOrtunately we don’t get snow all the time, just a have dozen times each winter.
    12 Kyocera 235 panels, 3 Gyll LiFePO4 batteries (previously 16 Trojan L16 RE-B batteries), Outback 3600W 48V system, Generac 11K propane backup generator, NW AZ, off grid, 6,000 ft (system installed in April 2015)

• wellbuilt
    Options
    Well ,  I was on a 10’ step ladder with a 16’ roof rake and manage to clear one string of panels . 
      I’m pushing 60 now and work for a living so I’m still springier then most 60 year old . 
     But it is not a easy task . 
     I’ve noticed if I clear the bottom of the panels the snow slide off the glass with a  Little nudge  
      I’m thinking a 20 foot pole mite work and clear 2 strings . 
     I’m getting 300 watts from the one string with some snow on it . 
     I’ve notice a new problem , I’m now getting some shading from a few tree branches  .