Generator size needed to start 11,000 BTU truck camper A/C?

So I bought a 1600 watt inverter Yamaha with 2000 watt surge. It would not start the A/C using a 110 outlet. Hoping the 220 outlet does the job. I had been running the AC off of grid power 110 so I "figured" it was about 12 amps ~ 1500 watts.

I'd just check but having some peculiar health issues. It is a 2012 Forest River Palomino truck camper rated at 11,000 BTU. FWIW - modern truck campers take a while to know your way around.
First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries

Comments

• BB.BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 29,241 admin
    edited July 7 #2
    The easiest temporary fix/trial is to get an old 50-100 foot light duty extension cord and plug it between the genset and the A/C unit and see if the added resistance will drop the starting current.

In general, inverter generators, have poor surge performance (past rated value)... Plain Jane gensets will simply lug through a "heavy starting surge". An inverter-generator is "electronic" AC output and can shutdown in milliseconds and will not "lug" through heavy starting surges.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • softdownsoftdown Solar Expert Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. said:
    The easiest temporary fix/tratrial is to get an old 50-100 foot light duty extension cord and plug it between the genset and the A/C unit and see if the added resistance will drop the starting current.

In general, inverter generators, have poor surge performance (past rated value)... Plain Jane gensets will simply lug through a "heavy starting surge". An inverter-generator is "electronic" AC output and can shutdown in milliseconds and will not "lug" through heavy starting surges.

-Bill
    Great answer as always. I was hoping that simply using the 220 volt outlet on the genset would make the A/C work fine. Though that seemed suspicious for some reason. The genset "advertising" fails to even mention 220 volt applications. 

If I can't make it work I can return it for a larger, cheaper and simpler unit that also accepts propane. Though propane is less energy dense and would lower the output by ~ 20% by my estimation. Shame in a way - I really like the inverter generator. Super quiet and seems well made. I just can't justify ten gensets. My others are too small or too heavy for truck camper usage. 
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
    edited July 7 #4
    If it is the Costco inverter-genset:

https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600W-Running--2000W-Peak-Yamaha-Powered-Gas-Inverter-Generator.product.100343958.html

That twist lock connector is a 120 VAC 30 Amp unit intended for simple plugin to RVs that have 120 VAC / 30 Amp twist lock...

As far as I can tell, that is not a 240 VAC output on that genset.

-Bill

I am guessing it is in the NEMA L5-30P family...

https://www.amazon.com/L5-30P-Plug-NEMA-Locking-Amps/dp/B004XHWHHU
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
    BB. said:
    If it is the Costco inverter-genset:

https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600W-Running--2000W-Peak-Yamaha-Powered-Gas-Inverter-Generator.product.100343958.html

That twist lock connector is a 120 VAC 30 Amp unit intended for simple plugin to RVs that have 120 VAC / 30 Amp twist lock...

As far as I can tell, that is not a 240 VAC output on that genset.

-Bill

I am guessing it is in the NEMA L5-30P family...

https://www.amazon.com/L5-30P-Plug-NEMA-Locking-Amps/dp/B004XHWHHU
    That all makes perfect sense. No surprise at all though one tends to expect 220 volts from a 220 volt type outlet. 
    That L5-30 is a common 120 VAC @ 30 amp connector... It would never (on purpose) be used on 240 VAC.

Besides RV, a lot of shops and construction use 120 VAC twist locks too.

-Bill
    Turns out that many voltage regulators have a tiny brass screw on the inside that easily adjusts voltage output. Changed my Onan 3500 from 103 volts to 123 volts by turning that tiny screw - many times. 

The Onan 3500 was made in China using a pretty good knock off of a Honda 2000 motor. Other problems presented and the partnership was terminated in favor of Yamaha. Tried to find my old thread about the Onan and lacked the technique to find and update. Least I did something. 

Some would say that my campers 11,000 BTU air conditioner may have a 3000 watt start up surge though I doubt this is highly accurate.
  • Blackda3Blackda3 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Perhaps the following will be of interest.  I have a Dometic Cool Cat 10.5k btu air conditioner in my Aliner camper.  I made three test runs to measure my surge and running values - see below.  I used two 2017 Honda 2000 generators (the primary and the companion units).  Since then I have added a MicroAir smart start which allows me to run this load on a single generator. According to the manufacturer the MicroAir learns the start-up compressor's requirements with a full load which allows it satisfy the compressor's requirements using a smaller power source.)  I have yet to perform the same test with the revised system.  I can report that it does work but the A/C used to start instantly and now it takes a minute or so before it ramps up to output cold air.  

The Honda's provided 120 volts AC:
    Start-up/Surge: 44.1 amps for less than half a second; 
    Running:  9.3, 9.87 and 10.0 amps (each run had a slightly different value);
    Once the A/C cycled off the fan alone was drawing 2, 2.48 and 2.47 amps.
    1996 LX450; 2017 Aliner Explorer: 3 x 105 Ah AGMs; 2 x 140w Kyocera panels connected to a Bogart TriMetric and solar charge controller; Remote deployable system of two/three additional Kyocera panels connected to a Victron MPPT 100/50 Solar Charge Controller.
    Blackda3 said:
    Perhaps the following will be of interest.  I have a Dometic Cool Cat 10.5k btu air conditioner in my Aliner camper.  I made three test runs to measure my surge and running values - see below.  I used two 2017 Honda 2000 generators (the primary and the companion units).  Since then I have added a MicroAir smart start which allows me to run this load on a single generator. According to the manufacturer the MicroAir learns the start-up compressor's requirements with a full load which allows it satisfy the compressor's requirements using a smaller power source.)  I have yet to perform the same test with the revised system.  I can report that it does work but the A/C used to start instantly and now it takes a minute or so before it ramps up to output cold air.  

The Honda's provided 120 volts AC:
    Start-up/Surge: 44.1 amps for less than half a second; 
    Running:  9.3, 9.87 and 10.0 amps (each run had a slightly different value);
    Once the A/C cycled off the fan alone was drawing 2, 2.48 and 2.47 amps.

That start up surge is about 5300 watts. What size is your Honda? I've seen a number run their A/C with gensets over 2000 watts - that seems to be the size needed.