Harbor Freight 100 watt kit

Cachaco310
Cachaco310 Registered Users Posts: 3
Good afternoon.
I’m new to the solar power movement. I’m trying to set up an enclosed trailer with a Harbor Freight 100 watt kit. I would like to find out if it can be used with a Dewalt 20 volt multi battery charger.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the kit include an inverter? These kits would typically include 12v nominal panel(s) and a charge controller for charging a 12v battery. The 20v charger likely takes 120vac, so you need to add a 12v battery to store the solar power, and an inverter to run the dewalt charger.

A cheap MSW inverter might work, but I'd suggest using a PSW unit, such as the 300w Morningstar sold by our hosts.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Cachaco310
    Hi Estragon.
    Thanks for the information. Excuse my ignorance. What’s a PSW? I do know I will have to get an inverter and a deep cycle battery. But will this set up be able to power a 20 volt 4 battery charger. I’m setting it up for a disaster response trailer.
    Thank you
  • dennis461
    dennis461 Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    you need the Dewalt vehicle charger, plugs into the cigarette socket of the HF controller, but it only charges a single Dewalt battery at a time
    Camden County, NJ, USA
    19 SW285 panels
    SE5000 inverter
    grid tied
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Before purchasing an inverter check with Dewalt if their chargers can work with modified sine wave, many chargers cannot and have a very short life. Read this for more information https://www.novopal.com/blogs/news/sine-wave-vs-modified-sine-wave-which-is-better
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Estragon
    Estragon Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if a vehicle charger would work well, as voltage from a solar charge controller + battery may have a wider voltage range than a typical 12v auto socket. Current for 4 batteries charging in parallel may also be a bit much for a cigarette type plug.

PSW is Pure Sine Wave (likely as good or better than grid power). A resistive load like a toaster won't care, but a load like a charger might. See the mcgivor link for more.

For a disaster response application, I'd err on the side of caution.
    Off-grid.  
    Main daytime system ~4kw panels into 2xMNClassic150 370ah 48v bank 2xOutback 3548 inverter 120v + 240v autotransformer
    Night system ~1kw panels into 1xMNClassic150 700ah 12v bank morningstar 300w inverter
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modified Sine Wave (MSW) are cheap and those most often found as lighter plug-in's. They can create problems with some electronics and motors.
    Pure Sine Wave (PSW) are current identical to your home and often better!

As @mcgivor said check with DeWalt! I did back in about 2001. Their current NiCD pod battery charger would work fine on a MSW, I think the model was 1640(from my feeble mind, Don't trust!)

I Don't think the harbor freight kit comes with an inverter, so you would have to add this. I have no idea if the lithium charger would work with a MSW inverter.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Raj174
    Raj174 Solar Expert Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    My 18 volt DeWalt charger requires 2 amps at 120 volts, or 240 watts. So before buying an inverter, check your charger to see how much power it will have to supply. The power requirements were written on the bottom of my charger.
    4480W PV, MNE175DR-TR, MN Classic 150, Outback Radian GS4048A, Mate3, 51.2V 360AH nominal LiFePO4, Kohler Pro 5.2E genset.
  • Cachaco310
    Thank you guys a wealth of information has been provided here. Keep it coming. I’m starting to get even more interested now in the solar technology. Soon I will be moving into my new home and would love to install a solar system on the house. I would like to eventually get off as much as possible from the grid.