Chinese Panels for Offgrid 48v DC system in Australia

Options
Rayson
Rayson Registered Users Posts: 21 ✭✭
Has anybody got suggestions for competitive Solar Panels out of china.
I am using 48v DC and do not require any help with the power management electronics.

We have Batteries in Australia, given their weight and price, there is likely to be little gain in importing them.
Anyone with info on Chinese suppliers of Solar Panels?

Thanks,
Ray
Australia

Comments

• mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #2
    Options
    There are many panels made in China and there are good quality ones, look for certification such as CE, Ul, Tuv and so forth, I have Schutten panels made in China, they carry several certificate markings and are good quality,  but I've seen some that have no international compliance certification, and claim some rather high self ratings, would stay clear of those. 
    1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • Rayson
    Options
    mcgivor said:
    There are many panels made in China and there are good quality ones, look for certification such as CE, Ul, Tuv and so forth, I have Schutten panels made in China, they carry several certificate markings and are good quality,  but I've seen some that have no international compliance certification, and claim some rather high self ratings, would stay clear of those. 

Thanks for the introduction.
    Your advice will be very handy.

Ray
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017 #4
    Options
    How many are you thinking of getting?  I bought 2 pallets of 12v Panels several years back and   all is well so far.  I paid ( dearly) for 2 sample panels, to get my hands on , to ascertain the quality, Ask for the flash test results too... I believe they must do a rough sort of the cells before assembly of the panels.
    Panels are designed/made with a certain W output expected and then sorted after the flash test, that verifies the output. So some might be from a higher expected output class that didn't make it, still good though for the next class. The test results will show varying Volts and Amps but above the variance for the group eg + 5% -3% or ?
    IO chose to go for the ones in the middle of the class..
    hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Rayson
    edited January 2017 #5
    Options
    How many are you thinking of getting?  I bought 2 pallets of 12v Panels several years back and   all is well so far.  I paid ( dearly) for 2 sample panels, to get my hands on , to ascertain the quality, Ask for the flash test results too... I believe they must do a rough sort of the cells before assembly of the panels.
    Panels are designed/made with a certain W output expected and then sorted after the flash test, that verifies the output. So some might be from a higher expected output class that didn't make it, still good though for the next class. The test results will show varying Volts and Amps but above the variance for the group eg + 5% -3% or ?
    IO chose to go for the ones in the middle of the class..
    hth

I believe we need about 2kw at about double the voltage of 48v battery bank as a minimum module.
    Depends on the cost and viability to expand, open question!

There is the possibility of doing something similar to yourself, obtaining Samples first then decide.
    With a lot of companies offering free or very cheap freight charges out of China into Australia, it cannot hurt to inquire.

Ray
  • westbranch
    Options
    the samples would probably be sent by courier, that is the expensive part... shipping in bulk is very inexpensive...

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The vast majority are made in China. I might ask this board instead of getting samples shipped. Tell us a few brands of interest and wait. Most of us are old solar pro$.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Rayson
    Options
    softdown said:
    The vast majority are made in China. I might ask this board instead of getting samples shipped. Tell us a few brands of interest and wait. Most of us are old solar pro$.

Will do, done a google search on Schutten Panels to find very mixed opinion.
    Happy to hear anyone's experience or suggestion for panels, where ever they can be sourced.

It may workout best to buy panels already imported into Australia, just keeping all options open.

Thanks

• softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rayson said:
    softdown said:

Will do, done a google search on Schutten Panels to find very mixed opinion.
    Happy to hear anyone's experience or suggestion for panels, where ever they can be sourced.

It may workout best to buy panels already imported into Australia, just keeping all options open.

Thanks

Importing direct from China aways gave me the heeby jeebies. Then you have to go through the procedure$ at the shipyard. I doubt it would be worthwhile for 2Kw.

However, it is likely to be worthwhile to drive to a dealer instead of shipping. Summertime down under. Get crackin' mate.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • westbranch
    Options
    importing Then you have to go through the procedure$ at the shipyard.

Well you just hire/enlist the services of a Customs broker... cost me $75 and then have them arrange shipping to your chosen location cost ~ $300
    btw 2 pallets is > = 4 Kw

• Rayson
    edited January 2017 #11
    Options
    importing Then you have to go through the procedure$ at the shipyard.

Well you just hire/enlist the services of a Customs broker... cost me $75 and then have them arrange shipping to your chosen location cost ~ $300
    btw 2 pallets is > = 4 Kw

Yes, I have imported 50KG lots of Custom made Rare Earth Magnets directly from Chinese Manufacturer.
    The company was happy to organize shipping, same with Electronics Manufactures.

Never had to use a Broker, but it is an option.
    2 pallets at 4 Kw would be a good start.

There is quite a Gap between my interests and the Suppliers interest in Australia.
    Cracking along just nicely.

Thanks for sharing westbranch.