Inverter repair advice?

Options
Hairfarm
Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
Does anybody know of an inverter repair service? My junky old Prosine 2.0 inverter/charger is have a problem with one of its heat sink sensors. This leads to the fan staying on 100% of the time. I've removed the cover it and sprayed compressed into the unit to try to clean the heat sink sensor but I'm still getting a high reading from one of the sensors. It might be time to upgrade or have it repaired.

thanks,

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hairfarm,

Do you know the nature of the sensor  --  is it a snap-action thermal switch,   a thermistor,   a diode ...  etc?

The Klixon(c) type  switches are reliable,  but have a finite cycle life.   A thermistor or diode might be glued down,  tab-mounted,  etc.

Is there any unusual looking discoloration on/around the sensor?

Can you post a pic of the sensor?

I have no specific knowledge of the inner workings of this inverter.

FWIW,   Vic

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Hairfarm
    Options
    Vic,

Thanks for responding. No, I don't know what kind of sensor it is. I can't even locate it on the board either. Xantrex has never released the schematic for this unit since it's a "Non-repairable" unit. Apparently this is a known issue with DIY'rs who tried to repair this unit and were unable to find a schematic for it. Xantrex simply swaps the old out for a refurb if it's under warranty, which mine isn't.

I can't post a pic if I can't locate the sensor, but I may be able to post a pic of the overall guts of the inverter.

thanks again Vic
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm thinking this may be a job for a good electrical appliance repair person? They may have some good advice or insight.
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hairfarm, do you typically not have any load on the inverter? Might be easiest just to live with it and save for a replacement. the fan isn't a huge load and unless it's triggering a fault, it will just mean the inverter doesn't go into search mode. Might go ahead and pick up a spare fan. They are simple to replace on an 1800, and are designed for long continuous use.

Repairs won't be cheap, I think I was quoted $160+ parts to replace the fan in mine, an hour job by a novice, but they would bench test it before it left the shop. If you are in Missouri there is a repair shop in Columbia, though I pretty much knew what was wrong as the fan was frozen up and the inverter working until it needed the fan 3-500 watts.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mcgivor
    mcgivor Solar Expert Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have a related problem with an inverter that shuts down when on low load and ambient temperature around 40 deg.C , fan operates @300W load, not temperature controlled a  cheap Chinese PSW unit. To remedy the problem I use a computer fan controlled by an adjustable current sensor with a dry contact  on the AC output, set as low as it will go around 500mA, so whenever there is a load present greater than the setpoint,  the fan forces air through the unit and keeps it operational  . Crude? yes but it works and gets me through those hot days.

1500W, 6× Schutten 250W Poly panels , Schneider MPPT 60 150 CC, Schneider SW 2524 inverter, 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Battery Bodyguard BMS 
    Second system 1890W  3 × 300W No name brand poly, 3×330 Sunsolar Poly panels, Morningstar TS 60 PWM controller, no name 2000W inverter 400Ah LFP 24V nominal battery with Daly BMS, used for water pumping and day time air conditioning.  
    5Kw Yanmar clone single cylinder air cooled diesel generator for rare emergency charging and welding.
  • softdown
    softdown Solar Expert Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a wild stab here. A defective gizmo may generate heat. If you have an infrared temp sensor...might be worth looking for a hot spot? Or using a hand?
    First Bank:16 180 watt Grape Solar with  FM80 controller and 3648 Inverter....Fullriver 8D AGM solar batteries. Second Bank/MacGyver Special: 10 165(?) watt BP Solar with Renogy MPPT 40A controller/ and Xantrex C-35 PWM controller/ and Morningstar PWM controller...Cotek 24V PSW inverter....forklift and diesel locomotive batteries
  • Hairfarm
    edited December 2016 #8
    Options
    I don't have a infrared temp gun, but good idea though. Basically one of my temperature readings seems too high which I believe is causing the fan to stay on constantly now. But I don't know if my readings are correct or not which is why I need someone to tell what their settings are. The manual is light on this issue.

My inverter/charger is a Prosine 2.0 (2000 watt) model.

These are my current settings:

View System Temperatures:
    • Temperature at Panel - 82 degrees
    • PROsine Unit Temp. 1 -  129 degrees (This is the one I believe to be too high. Maybe a heatsink sensor gone bad or dirty?)
    • PROsine Unit Temp. 2 -  79 degrees.

Should my two sensors (Unit Temp 1 & 2) be reporting roughly the same temp? My intuition tells me that the fan is not the problem. The fan is just constantly running because the sensor value is at Unit Temp.1 is at 129 degrees.  I was hoping someone who owns a Prosine 2.0 can check their temp settings so I can compare. The setting can be found in the "Diagnostics" menu.

In any case, I'm looking at other inverter chargers at this point.

thanks,