Moving my family- I need some thoughts on solar to keep food when grid goes down

Options
inthejungle
inthejungle Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭

I need some thoughts on what I should do. I have been asked to move to a new location in W. Africa with my family. The country has power, but has been recently having 8-9 hour outages. With little ones I don't want food to spoil and the Mrs. doesn't want to have to go shopping each day. Thanks for your thoughts

We need to accomplish two things

1-      We have a house with 220 power from the grid, it goes off from what we hear about 6-9 hours at a time in the peak dry season.

2-      We also have the issue of very high or very low power and constant fluctuations

I am thinking about using an inverter/charger with a small set of batteries. The batteries would get charged from the grid, when power goes off we would switch to battery knowing we have x amount of time to get power back.

I am thinking that I would have three panels, the main 220 from City power, a breaker box for inverted 220v, and another breaker box for straight 12v. I would have just the fridge on the inverter, then I would use some type of 12v LED light on the 12v panel.

All 220 from city would need a voltage monitor of sorts to shut if it was too high, too low or too much off and on.

If we go from the voltage monitoring to an inverter/charger, then to the circuits then we are running those off the batteries all the time. I would think that we would want to run the fridge off AC power 24/7, then charge batteries from the grid, if grid power fails then we would go to inverter power and run it until the grid was back up.

Is there such an inverter that would do something like this or how do we accomplish this? What are y'alls thoughts?

Thanks for your help

In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most GOOD Inverter chargers have some latitude as  to the acceptable power incoming, best start with what you can suss out about the power quality first ... your basic concept to be battery backup is workable but you need some hard facts... good luck

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might consider minimal frozen food and a couple gallon jugs of water (or freezer paks) in freezer, when electric goes out transfer the frozen water to the fridge. Should be good for 8 hours or so...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inthejungle
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts- WESTBRANCH the facts I am working on getting are the watts of the fridge, and then time I want back up. I have worked there for the past year helping with power and a hospital. I did a power study and the power was just awful, always 190 or 280ish and up and down most days. We are going to be in the city so the short 10 -20 second outages I saw will probably we hours. The fridge we are thinking of buying has a voltage regulator built into it, and is made by LG.

What do you think about the placement of the inverter and so on? How do I achieve the backup I want. I would assume a simple switch to go from grid AC to Inverter AC would suffice. 
    How do I size the inverter for the fridge?

PHOTOWHIT- I hadn't thought about something like that, but the only problem I see is that the Fridge is European and doesn't have much freezer to begin with. 
    In Niger, trying to keep a LG FMA 102NAMA fridge(This has the inverter compressor) backed up with solar using a Victron Multi-Plus Inverter/Charger Compact 12v 1600w with a 70a charger built in.I want to back it up for 4-8 hours. I am also running a few O2 cool fans and a few Thin Lite LED's of my batteries for when the grid is down so my kids can sleep.
  • westbranch
    Options
    A small chest freezer is best for PW's suggestion rather than the combo types we are accustomed to...
    You will need a n Inverter charger that switches automatically to the batteries when the power turns off.

Here is a link to a SAfrica dealer an GT type inverter...  the brochure indicates it is a good fit for your situation of on/off ....
    http://www.rectifier.co.za/outback/NEW SPECSHEETS/GTFX2012E-SEALED.pdf

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a customer here in Texas who does a large amount of battery backup business in parts of Ghana. He describes their power situation as "variable at best" but typically on for 24 hours and off for 12 hours. They seem to have rolling blackouts as a load shedding plan.I have not seen his install work, but he describes it as minimalist. Now he is working toward incrementally adding PV as budgets permit.

His first step is to install an inverter charger kit (typically 2000 watts) powered by the mains, with battery bank sized to sustain the minimum critical loads. His typical battery bank seems to be 7.2 KWH to cover a 12 hour load of about 2-3 KWH.

He selected AGM batteries because he did not trust that flooded batteries would get maintained. He expects to get around 5-6 years of battery life knowing that he is cycling about 200 times per year and always getting a fast and full charge - plus float time after every discharge cycle. The first system is about 3 years old and running well.

I will ask him which inverters and/or inverter-chargers he is using, because I know that he was not happy with some that he tried.

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can see as more and more banks of UPS's are installed, that the surge demand on the Grid, when it's eventually restored, will blow it as all the battery chargers kick in and try to bulk up the batteries.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• inthejungle
    Options
    Marc- what you described is exactly what I want to do. We had been pulled out of our last location due to Ebola and because of this I don't want to dump a lot of money in the beginning. You said
    "His first step is to install an inverter charger kit (typically 2000 watts) powered by the mains, with battery bank sized to sustain the minimum critical loads. His typical battery bank seems to be 7.2 KWH to cover a 12 hour load of about 2-3 KWH. " That is what I am thinking can you please talk to him and see what he has done and used. That would be really helpful. Thanks
  • inthejungle
    Options
    I have a buddy who is going to buy the fridge ahead of time for us, I asked him to look at the spec sheet inside the fridge and send it to me, he is going to get an LG. Here is the info on the inside can anyone help me sort out how to size my inverter for it?

Defrosting Input:  150w

Rated Input of Heater cord:  115 w

Thanks

• inthejungle
    Options
    My numbers I think look like this- is this right

I would assume that we would add these two together so 150+115=265

265/240=1.10 amps

Does that sounds right?

I would assume that 265w with 15% startup power needed would be 265*.15=304.75 or 305

It would seem that a 500w inverter would be fine, I am thinking about using something like this

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va

Do you agree?

• Marc Kurth
    Marc Kurth Solar Expert Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Marc- what you described is exactly what I want to do. We had been pulled out of our last location due to Ebola and because of this I don't want to dump a lot of money in the beginning. You said
    "His first step is to install an inverter charger kit (typically 2000 watts) powered by the mains, with battery bank sized to sustain the minimum critical loads. His typical battery bank seems to be 7.2 KWH to cover a 12 hour load of about 2-3 KWH. " That is what I am thinking can you please talk to him and see what he has done and used. That would be really helpful. Thanks
    He responded with:
    "Ignoring your advice, I am using 24v, 2000 watt AIMS inverter-chargers because of their low cost. So far, no failures."  (Keep in mind that it's only been about a year I think.)

I always have more questions than answers. That's the nature of life.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #12
    Options
    My numbers I think look like this- is this right

I would assume that we would add these two together so 150+115=265

265/240=1.10 amps

Does that sounds right?

I would assume that 265w with 15% startup power needed would be 265*.15=304.75 or 305

It would seem that a 500w inverter would be fine, I am thinking about using something like this

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va

Do you agree?

Jungle, others will be along to give a 'more correct' answer, but the math is basically wrong.

The heater is a pure resistance load, so it's 150 watts with no startup needed. The compressor, if that is what the 115 watts represents, is a motor, so the startup my be 10X the wattage. If there is a "lock up rotor" number that would be the peak, but I would use 10x the wattage to be safe! or 1150 watts. These will not run concurrent, so max would be 1150 watts.

This can be low! Modern fridges tend to have softer starting, but I'd hate to have you under size and have to try to return an inverter.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • jonr
    jonr Solar Expert Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #13
    Options
    If possible, buy a refrigerator that has an internal inverter driven compressor.  Then you won't have the startup load problem.

All unused space in the refrigerator should be kept filled with jugs of water.  The same for the freezer, but maybe with a little non-toxic antifreeze to shift the phase change temperature.  20% propylene glycol?

I am available for custom hardware/firmware development

• inthejungle
    Options
    Photo wit- thank you for correcting me- well that changes the picture I knew it sounded strange.  How do you size up an inverter for this?

Jonr- how do you tell if the fridges have an internal inverter driven compressor?

• westbranch
    Options
    Inverter fridges   have  INVERTER boldly displayed in their advertisements and tech information.... at least north of the US /Mexico border and the only models available are >$3000.....in Mexico the lower priced models are available as well as other places in the world..
    LG and Samsung are the major brands in N.A..

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Some have used the term "Linear Compressor" (different style of compressor)--But also (should be) an "inverter" type unit (low starting surge).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016 #17
    Options
    Jonr- how do you tell if the fridges have an internal inverter driven compressor?
    The "inverter" fridges have variable speed compressors.   It is more efficient to run a compressor at half speed all the time than to run it at full speed half the time.   Whatever its called, the key is that the compressor runs at variable speed.  The low startup surge is a bonus.

DC powered fridges with the Danfoss compressor all have variable speed compressors.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • inthejungle
    Options
    I just found out that a buddy bought one these- probably will get one that is just a bit bigger, but should have the same type of compressor.

LG FRIDGE It has the inverter compressor- with that in mind how should I size up the inverter?

• westbranch
    Options
    the tech section has NO tech specifications, just physical size...  you will probably have to contact them directly...  please let us know what you are able to garner ...
    TW My standard 2014 18 cu ft GE fridge runs easily on a Cotek 1500W inverter... the newer the better, power use drops a bit each year

• inthejungle
    Options
    THANK YOU for all of your thoughts. I have had a very frustrating morning trying to get info from LG.
     I have contacted LG about that fridge and LG US and LG France say that they can not give me any more specifications on the compressor. What should I do? How do I size the inverter? How do I size the batteries?

• westbranch
    Options
    try LG Hong Kong....??   http://www.lg.com/hk_en

• inthejungle
    Options
    nothing, I tried calling and e-mailing a few days ago

• inthejungle
    Options
    LG is basically saying unless I am a tech they won't speak to me
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try looking at stores that sell LG in your market. The inverter based or linear compressors are fairly new technology and my experience with your part of the world is often not where a manufacturer wants to place new technology.
    Look for inverters that are supported there also. Outback and Schneider for instance have fairly good support in the big cities there. I would think a 24V inverter/charger and about 400 AH of battery would back your refrigeration/basic house loads up and cost around $3K US. You also want to find as local as you can of a supplier of the battery for warranty, if possible.
    Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• inthejungle
    Options
    I received a picture of the compressor, then searched and found a PDF from LG that gave me this info. Can someone help me size things up? The numbers from the PDF are:

220-240 AC
    Max input Power 260w
    Max input current 3a

I am thinking of using this inverter, because it is setup for multiple inputs from grid and genset if I want it in the future

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva

• westbranch
    Options
    240V - 60-225 HZ -LRA2.2  3PH....  that is 3 Phase  the I believe., don't know the influence that has.  That may be the reason for the warning about using the Controller,  seen at the top of the label

• Dave Angelini
    Options
    Isobutane refrigerant was in a clients fridge that leaked here in California last year.
     The warranty repair from a leak went on for months. The manufacture gave my friend back their money. At the time they did not have anyone licensed to fix and refill the refrigerant here.

Victron is a good company also.

It would be very hard to get accurate data on the specs you have because they are not taking the variable speed into consideration,  the size of box, and ambient air temp./defrost.

• inthejungle
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, any suggestion how I might be able to plan well with all those in mind? Do I size off the highest number?
    We leave in a few weeks and I need to order this week. Thanks
  • Dave Angelini
    Options
    You can't design until know what your loads are?
    If I were you I would just plan on a typical refrigerator you can buy in your country.
    What do you have now? 
    If Victron makes a 2KW or more inverter/charger you should be fine.
    Depending on what batteries you can buy would be how I chose 24 or 48V.
    Usually you can find a 400 or so AH battery @20Hr rate. If I could get one like that I would choose a  24V inverter.
    It will be cheaper to replace batteries when they fail.
    Good Luck!

• inthejungle
    Options
    I think that I am going to go with this LG refrigerator, after looking at things these are my numbers

260W AC = 300W DC /12V = 25A @ 10hr = 250AH. If I assume that to be the absolute worst case and discharge 50%, that would be 500AH batteries,

I am thinking 1600w inverter and 500ah batteries

• westbranch
    Options
    and add another fudge factor for the battery inefficiency of recharging a min 10% and max 30% for the amount of watts needed to replace what you draw out (250 Ah), just to be safe so 550 to 650Ahr battery...  yes I know you did bump up the 260W but you can also have hotter ambient temps than expected and that also adversely affects batteries, lower output capacity (2 day) and (daily) recharge efficiency...