GEC question

Options
I have an installation where the inverter is located at the array with a 200' trench to the main service panel point of connection. The installer provided a ground rod at the array which is bonded to the array/inverter GEC & EGC.

My question is: the 200' conduit run from the inverter to the main panel has only 3 conductors [L1, L2 and N]. In searching through 690.47(A) and 250.50 - 60/64 I find ambiguous reference to including a separate GEC from the inverter to main panel.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Brent

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: GEC question

First question would be to the building inspector, as to what he is going to want. safest or not, what he wants, he gets, if you want your permit signed.

could run bare copper $$$ in the bottom of the trench, and PVC conduit above it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Options

The code is not that ambiguous. It requires a couple things you don't seem to have.

1) An equipment grounding conductor for your inverter output circuit. (I'm assuming the conduit in the trench is PVC). This is a fairly important safety measure which should not be left out. Suppose you have a fault from L1 or L2 to ground in the inverter? Your breaker in the service panel will not trip.

2) A bonding jumper between the AC and DC grounding electrodes, as required by 690.47(C)(1), in the 2011 NEC. (We are on the 2011 code now in California.)
  • Brent
    Brent Solar Expert Posts: 64 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the responses. Good answers.

Brent